Bluefin

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
Hi guys & girls!

I have a Cupra 290 and looking to increase power.

Looked at DTUK box but have had before so would like a remap.

Like the idea of Bluefin remap so it can be removed when I want etc.

Any info will be appreciated, thanks :)

salsajoe

Apr 12, 2017
Yorkshire
I have had Bluefin on a previous car. No problems with it. It is not as aggressive as some other maps which suited me fine as just wanted a little more power and not put strain on the gearbox. It does put up the flash count on the ECU every time you put it on and take it off - may be a problem if you have a warranty. DTUK as you know does not have this issue and is adjustable.

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
I have had Bluefin on a previous car. No problems with it. It is not as aggressive as some other maps which suited me fine as just wanted a little more power and not put strain on the gearbox. It does put up the flash count on the ECU every time you put it on and take it off - may be a problem if you have a warranty. DTUK as you know does not have this issue and is adjustable.

Hi, thanks for the info....I thought it wouldn't show once removed so maybe DTUK is the way to go.

Cheers

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK

Two of the engineers I've spoke to over the last few months have both said this a not a cause towards a warranty void, and most recently from Michael Howard I have this directly copied from an email correspondence with him:

We have no information about flash counters being an issue when it comes to servicing as it has never come up. I believe the Bosch ME9 ECU was the first and last ECU where we researched resetting the flash counter. In the long term it didn’t actually offer any benefit so it isn’t something we have bothered with since. The biggest issue seems to be that it is easy to check the flash counter with a tool like VAGCOM which makes it very easy for people on forums to use it as a point scoring exercise. Until we see hard evidence of a car being refused a warranty claim as a result of the flash counters alone we will continue to treat them as we do. Put it this way. Have you ever seen anything with your own eyes from a VW / Audi dealer on headed paper that is signed by someone at the dealership saying the warranty is now null and void as a result of the ECU flash counter?

Keep in mind a lot of the cars we have as development vehicles will have dozens of flashes or more during mapping development. None of these have ever had an issue under warranty, even the cars registered to us with a registration number that reads “Superchips”.

Kind Regards,
Michael Howard.

So in short, there is absolutely NO WAY a dealer will revoke a service or revoke a warranty just because the flash count is different, and they would have absolutely no reason at all to be looking at this as a cause of invalidation, so @MrStroppy, don't worry about it.

@MrStroppy Don't got with a DTUK box! That is absolutely more likely to do more harm than good in the long run, all it does is trick the components into reading false numbers, see more here: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=4584944&postcount=18

Short term say 6-12 months or so this ain't so bad, but long term, pushing the drivetrain components and other parts like this will start to do damage with wear and tear, it's simply not worth the hassle of compromising performance of components, google it and you'll see for yourself if you want to learn more, I am not here to **** on them, just giving you valid experience and feedback that i've had from those that use them, I'd never use one on my cars.

The bluefin is a proper remap, it works, it delivers on the numbers advertised, it's fully reversable and back-upable and on a friends older car totally transformed it and has been running it for 2 years now.

However, quite note on newer cars like the 2016+ 290 and 1.8 ECU

Currently, the bluefin is not yet compatible with the ECU in these vehicles as it has newer security checksums on it which is causing issues getting the Bluefin device to work with it and past the security, they are actively working on getting this resolved and are close but i've been in contact with them for a little while now and still no ETA as of yet, which is a bit of a bummer as I'm still waiting for one on my 1.8 Leon FR.

Hope all that helps and has been some what informative :), Remap of Tuning Box any day though.

Last edited:

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
The bluefin is a proper remap, it works

I've used Superchips since the late 80's which to date (touch wood) without a problem, whilst they may not offer the best figures on paper they stick to producing the best maps for performance versus reliability when compared to others that like to sell performance figures above all else..

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
Thanks all for the detailed replys.....might go with the Superchips remap as long as it is available soon.

Many thanks

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The manufacturer doesn't use flash counter values to verify ECU manipulation and haven't done for some time. Every remap, regardless of what the company tells you - is detectable at some level.

When your vehicle is hooked up to the ODIS system and the protocols sent online there are comparisons made with certain data stored on the ECU, if this data doesn't match what's stored on the VW AG servers then the vehicle is deemed as having aftermarket software and flagged with the TD1 status.

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
Please believe me, this is not a criticism of anyone's ideas about how to spend their money on their car, but why does anyone need more power than that provided by an unmodified Cupra 290? Is the idea to use it on track days at a racing circuit?

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
I've used Superchips since the late 80's which to date (touch wood) without a problem, whilst they may not offer the best figures on paper they stick to producing the best maps for performance versus reliability when compared to others that like to sell performance figures above all else..

Well said :)

The manufacturer doesn't use flash counter values to verify ECU manipulation and haven't done for some time. Every remap, regardless of what the company tells you - is detectable at some level.

When your vehicle is hooked up to the ODIS system and the protocols sent online there are comparisons made with certain data stored on the ECU, if this data doesn't match what's stored on the VW AG servers then the vehicle is deemed as having aftermarket software and flagged with the TD1 status.

All true, but I am willing to believe them when they say they've never be presented with hard evidence for a warranty void due to a counter change, also as Michael said it seems to be older ones that still used that as a basis

Please believe me, this is not a criticism of anyone's ideas about how to spend their money on their car, but why does anyone need more power than that provided by an unmodified Cupra 290? Is the idea to use it on track days at a racing circuit?

Lol couldn't tell ya, if i was getting anywhere near 300+ HP for a car it would need to be RWD or AWD as FWD unless you spend a lot of additional work simply can't use all that power all the time. On the tyres i have now in my 1.8 TSI FR with 180HP I can full throttle first gear and 2nd up to 60mph in 6.5/6.6 seconds consistently due to how well it bites and grips. Getting the bluefin with another 50HP I'm sure it'll still grip but with well over 300 Torque by this point i simply don't know yet. As for cupras and above...it amazes me they are not all AWD as they should be. Can you guys with 290s full throttle without hop/spin/traction control limiting the launch? Surely not :confused:

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Okay a box might be a good cheap alternative if your leasing and just want a little bit more power.

But you can't beat a map it does a lot more especially a highly reputable one (Revo APR I would only ever recommend) a box plugs into three ports and adds boost and fuel, a proper map is designed bottom up to run your car.

The cupra is underpowered, to safe and marketed down on power and specs to not show the golf R up.

I don't get why people moan at wanting to add more power to a car that's more than capable of it, I mean for starters on the stock map I can't heel and toe/left foot brake it's a cup racer car. Again it's limited to 155mph when there's the autobahn Again stock DSG will auto up shift, a lot of people might want to stay at 5500rpm around a corner and shift after the apex is hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum

As it says in a tee shirt I have somewhere 'if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand' :D

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
As it says in a tee shirt I have somewhere 'if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand' :D

I didn't mean to target you

I get you I do but for me, I treat my car as the "I just want the best for it" motto

And with that power seems to keep increasing

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire

Simple answer is they don't, but they can, so they do, and it is nice to beat folks of he lights if that's what you enjoy.

The more power one has the more skill is required especially to get it around the corners, but for me having been lucky enough to experience many different types of cars (and vans) on track with varying power levels I'll take a low powered engine in a car that doesn't hold the road to well any day, theres much more fun for me to have a car on its limit at 20-30mph around a corner knowing I'll get out of it should it ever go wrong, especially if the car in front is much more high powered as is the norm but the drive has no idea.

But all that said, its nice to the power under your right foot and every petrol head should experience it at some point..

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Well put. I must say in my first year driving in a 1.2 16v punto to was brilliant it was like your throttle was glued to the floor and you never came out of 3rd and 4th on country roads hardly ever any need to break

That being said I don't understand why people spend thousands on fishing gear or golfing gear but I get it's there thing.

In a nutshell after a few thousand pounds spent on the cupra, it arguably holds its own against a car that costs £130 000, increasing longevity of the car while also adding performance

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I didn't mean to target you

I get you I do but for me, I treat my car as the "I just want the best for it" motto

And with that power seems to keep increasing

It wasn't aimed at you ;) you can never have too much power :D if it wasn't for the fact that ours is A. Lease & B. Wife's daily driver there would be a spot of tweaking going on... Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember when tuning meant slapping a pair of twinchoke Webers on and a Janspeed exhaust :cry:

Bhoopoo

Aug 14, 2008
Surrey
I have a CUPRA 290 DSG, Monsoon Grey, Multi Black Alloys, all the bits apart from a sunroof, fast enough for me.
Unless you want to take this car on a track, why spend time and money in attempting to increase its performance. You can't go legally above 70mph on a motorway!

Springrollz

Jul 22, 2016
London
I have a CUPRA 290 DSG, Monsoon Grey, Multi Black Alloys, all the bits apart from a sunroof, fast enough for me.
Unless you want to take this car on a track, why spend time and money in attempting to increase its performance. You can't go legally above 70mph on a motorway!
Yes, because no one in a cupra ever exceeds 70 mph and also, it's how it gets to 70mph

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk