Bluetooth Audio Streaming - does it work for You?

• Thread starter Deleted member 55436
  • Start date

lefkon

Feb 7, 2011
how exactly are you supposed to stream music? i have an iphone 3gs. i connect via bluetooth and then what?

lefkon

Feb 7, 2011
yeah but how? i have the bluetooth module though i have never seen an option about media streaming. and once i tried to do it it didnt work. i opened the ipod app on iphone and ince i was connected to a bluetooth i could choose to stream the music there but it didnt work.

May 7, 2011
North East, UK
I dont know ... i have an option under the phone sttings menu to connect to the phone for bluetooth media streaming, then it appears in the media section of the headunit.

Deleted member 55436

It should be a phone option then on your head unit!!

The official line from Seat UK is that the Ibiza does not support bluetooth media streaming, and what I have setup now is an "unsupported workaround". There is no phone option on the head unit - the bluetooth audio overrides any other source automatically.

Still waiting on an email from the guy who sorted my configuration change out.
I will speak to him at the weekend if I've not heard by then.

May 7, 2011
North East, UK
The official line from Seat UK is that the Ibiza does not support bluetooth media streaming, and what I have setup now is an "unsupported workaround". There is no phone option on the head unit - the bluetooth audio overrides any other source automatically.

Still waiting on an email from the guy who sorted my configuration change out.
I will speak to him at the weekend if I've not heard by then.

There you go, my wrong!! I will ask a couple of mates who find this sort of thing for a living to see if there is some way of getting it to work!!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ibctlr

Deleted member 55436

No worries - it took me 17 months of digging and hassling to get mine sorted lol.

There's a menu called "Adaptive Settings", and within that an item called "Plain Text Settings". Within that there is a value for "Audio Streaming" that needs to be switched to get it to work as I've described earlier in this thread. Will try and get the exact details nailed down via the dealership.

lefkon

Feb 7, 2011
No worries - it took me 17 months of digging and hassling to get mine sorted lol.

There's a menu called "Adaptive Settings", and within that an item called "Plain Text Settings". Within that there is a value for "Audio Streaming" that needs to be switched to get it to work as I've described earlier in this thread. Will try and get the exact details nailed down via the dealership.

and how do you stream media using your phone? you just connect via bluetooth and play music and the music is heard from the car speakers? or you have to do something else first?

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham
On mine when you press the touch to talk button and the voice command main menu is announced one of the options is music. So if I am connected and do this the music from my phone will play. But to skip tracks you need to press the touch to talk button again and say next track etc. There is no way to do it via the head unit. In all honesty the audio quality over bluetooth for music is not as good as using a USB stick or my ipod cradle. But it is more than good enough for my phones sat nav announcements which just interrupt the other audio source briefly to announce.

Deleted member 55436

and how do you stream media using your phone? you just connect via bluetooth and play music and the music is heard from the car speakers? or you have to do something else first?

for me basically yes - any bluetooth media output from the phone overrides any head unit source and is controlled exclusively from the phone. I have no extra voice menu items.
It's not the greatest implementation, but since my iPod lives in the car I wasn't concerned about music. Much like other posters here my only concern was actually being able to hear my phone's satnav instructions.

Since this configuration change I can now disable the bluetooth media connection from the phone settings and it is remembered even after toggling bluetooth on and off on the phone. This is the correct way for bluetooth device pairings to behave, but until the configuration change the phone's settings were ignored by the car each time I reconnected.
Now I have the best of both worlds :D

InDeNiaL

I'm currently trying to get this enabled. I find the bluetooth compatibility document on the Seat website grossly mis-leading (in the Services section... Can't post links).

Lists all the phones with "audio streaming" and a big massive picture of an Ibiza on the front. Hell the document is even called "Ibiza Bluetooth Compatibility". Just had a letter this morning from Seat UK going down the official line: No Ibiza does not support media streaming and the ticks relate to the functionality on the phone (... what a load of shite) and pointing out the astrisk "not available on all models" which is next to media streaming. They also pointed out that no-where in the sales litrature does it suggust the car supports streaming. However, the sales litrature does tell customers to refer to the Seat website for the latest bluetooth compatibilty. I would love Seat UK to show me an Ibiza that does officially support media streaming. Again as I say all grossly mis-leading.

From speaking to them on the phone yesterday, the car does support it (as we know), but it disabled at the factory due to poor sound quality as it's in mono and they don't want their customers having a "poor experience" (I'm having a poor experience right now Seat... Take note!). I've also got a copy of another document from the SEAT Direct Intranet, which also lists the bluetooth compatbility PDFs but with a supporting table saying which cars have media streaming capability. The Ibiza is "not supported". Just a shame this information wasn't on and still isn't on the CUSTOMER website! All they have done is used the same phone compatibility table and stuck a picture of an Ibiza/Exeo/Leon on the front depending on which "compatibility" list it is.

Banging my head against a brick wall on this one! I'm going to visit the CAB over this next week and see where I stand. You don't expect to pay £13K on a car and doesn't do what it say's it should do.

Last edited by a moderator:

loonymoon

Just found this thread. I have an 2011 Ibiza with the bluetooth which works brilliantly for the phone (Galaxy S2) but is a right PITA when I want to use satnav as the voice diverts to the stereo which doesn't play it....as said the phone doesn't remember the "don't stream via bluetooth" setting between sessions.

I'm not bothered about music really as I use a USB stick or if I'm desperate to use the phone I can plug in an audio cable through the 3.5mm jack socket.... but sat nav is bloody annoying.

I got confused in the posts but it seems one person got it sorted via their dealer and was waiting for them to send an email to say exactly how it was done - did that email ever arrive?

Last edited:

Deleted member 55436

I got confused in the posts but it seems one person got it sorted via their dealer and was waiting for them to send an email to say exactly how it was done - did that email ever arrive?

That was me and I've still not heard back. Didn't get a chance to chase him by phone today, but I can tell you what I was told when I picked the car up after he sorted it..

In the configuration settings accessible through the diagnostic system at the dealers:-
1. Select the menu item "Adaptive Settings"
2. Select the item "Plain Text Settings"
3. Change the value in the "Audio Streaming" setting from off to on.

This was the case for a July 2010 manufactured FR running the latest updates.

I'm told this can also be changed using Vagcom - see the PDF here (see the A2DP entry).

If I get more detailed instructions from my dealership I will post them in this thread.

HTH

InDeNiaL

Spoke to SEAT UK again today who still will not budge on turning it on. They even had the cheek to say they can turn it on but will charge me for the privilege as its modifying the specification of the car!

So I've just spoken to Consumer Direct who also agree that the bluetooth compatibility documents are potentially mis-leading and have forwarded my complaint to Trading Standards for investigation. Interestingly, what the guy did say was there were already cases about this exact issue logged with the OfT and the notes say it can be turned on, but dealerships need permission from SEAT UK to do it. I asked how many complaints they had, but he couldn't say as if it ended up in court, they would be in contempt of court. Oh dear SEAT. He did however, suggest in the meantime while Trading Standards are looking into it, to speak to Motor Codes, which I'm now doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 55436

Spoke to SEAT UK again today who still will not budge on turning it on. They even had the cheek to say they can turn it on but will charge me for the privilege as its modifying the specification of the car!

So I've just spoken to Consumer Direct who also agree that the bluetooth compatibility documents are potentially mis-leading and have forwarded my complaint to Trading Standards for investigation. Interestingly, what the guy did say was there were already cases about this exact issue logged with the OfT and the notes say it can be turned on, but dealerships need permission from SEAT UK to do it. I asked how many complaints they had, but he couldn't say as if it ended up in court, they would be in contempt of court. Oh dear SEAT. He did however, suggest in the meantime while Trading Standards are looking into it, to speak to Motor Codes, which I'm now doing.

Kudos to you for taking this further than I had the energy for.
PM me if Consumer Direct want to talk to others affected; I'm happy to discuss it with them if it helps.

If I get more detailed instructions from my dealership I will post them in this thread.

I've also spoken to my dealership contact today about getting the full enabling instructions; he did say that he would email them to me but has not. I wonder whether Seat UK might be leaning on them to not give out a step by step guide... I will remind them from time to time, but may struggle to get the details until my next service (about 3k away at 700 miles per calendar month). I think the details I've given earlier in the thread should be sufficient for a competent service department though.

From speaking to them on the phone yesterday, the car does support it (as we know), but it disabled at the factory due to poor sound quality as it's in mono and they don't want their customers having a "poor experience"

At least they're now admitting that the car supports it!