Boardman BTCC

seatstu

Apr 15, 2004
I as much as anyone on here want to see Seat up there in BTCC but I have to say that Boardman's driving in race 3 today and the way he deliberately punted Plato off the circuit was way out of order and very dangerous and I hope he gets stripped of the win.
If he was going to win at least he could have done it fair and square not with dirty, dangerous maneuvers that he did today.
In the post race interview he said that Plato was backing in to the corners and there was nothing he could do. That is complete bollocks as he could of slowed to avoid hitting Plato but instead he deliberately punted him off potentially causing a serious accident, what a ******.
It was clear Boardman had the faster car and it was very likely he would get an overlap at some point in the race but instead decided to be unprofessional and do it the dirty way.
Rant over and hope to hear that he has at least been fined, hopefully stripped of the win.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Although the punt was dirty I think they'll punish him for his restart.

Clearly lacking skills or racecraft to follow the safety car so closely that he had to practically stop.

i wish he had won under better circumstances but i didn't think the nudge was too bad, ok it probably wasn't the best place to tap someone but isn't that how Neal and Collard usually drive?

As much as i hate to say it, i really want the Toyota to win, I think it would be good for the sport. As for Plato, I think he is a great driver and every other year i have wanted to see him do well but i'm getting tired of the comments regarding speed, yes they are slower down the straights but they are quicker through the corners and under braking and i don't think they did too bad at snetterton, Collard seemed to cope well enough today pushing really hard for the win. If its too slow why don't they adopt the turbo engine from the WTCC car ?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Though I was happy to see a SEAT winning a race, (a rare occurrence these days), it wasn't a win to be entirely proud of.

I believe the events in Race 3 yesterday were inevitable as JP will fight for every inch of race track. The incident illustrated either poor driving by Boardman or a lack of talent in my opinion, the less said about the awful safety car restart the better in my opinion.

Transition to NGTC and asset management of older spec cars means that until the sport works to the same set of parameters not much will change.

My views on parity in this championship haven't changed...

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=319672

markoos

Simples!
Feb 1, 2004
Cumbernauld
Visit site
Was stood right at the hairpin for last race,restart was shocking.
As for the incident with JP,its quite a drop at that corner(Duffus) and the cars tend to go very light coming over,all it takes is a wee nudge for chaos to ensue,but you would have seen that on tv.
BTW I'm not defending Boardman for the move.

Last edited:

seatstu

Apr 15, 2004
This isn't a thread about who he hit or about the differences in cars it is about the unprofessional dirty desperate and potentially dangerous maneuver he did to get the win.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
IMO its not as bad as people are making out to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDkYwlK0UKI

Totally agree. Plato lost momentum after the first nudge and the turbo car just kept on going, but got caught out by Plato's loss in speed and the second contact happened. I don't think it's intentional, no driver would be daft enough to do that at that part of the track. It's a trait of Knockhill, things like that happen due to the layout. Not the first time we've had a controversial reverse grid race when all hell breaks loose. Unfortunately some people can't take a balanced view at a Plato incident, but there you go. :) I think the restart might need looking at though, it was a bit dodgy.

The parity thing is still not right, but it's the all-NGTC cars I'm talking about. A good source in one of the teams told me on Saturday that they are allegedly running 380bhp or thereabouts, as opposed to the 300+ of the hybrids and 290 of the BMWs. It was obvious watching the Audi in particular, that it got that grid slot on pure speed, as the handling looked shocking. But then Mr Gow will probably turn the wick down now the Toyota took two podiums. He's proved his point to potential entrants for 2012 that the car is quick, even when it's not really. I'm such a cynic......;)

Some interesting Tweets going about regarding the Boardmans......

Last edited:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
A professional racing driver does not take someone off the track to pass them, they are supposed to have the skill and racecraft to be able to pass them cleanly without incident. Boardman showed a clear lack of skill and professionalism. As for the restart ... does he have a clue? Is Boardman fighting for the title ... no.

Last edited:
A professional racing driver does not take someone off the track to pass them, they are supposed to have the skill and racecraft to be able to pass them cleanly without incident. Boardman showed a clear lack of skill and professionalism. As for the restart ... does he have a clue? Is Boardman fighting for the title ... no.

someone tell matt neal and rob collard that :) although i quite like rob collards driving, i'm surprised he didn't have boardman out of the way.

Mar 25, 2008

The back end get's awful light at that bit though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL8ETq1FUlw

SmokeyStoke

Becky winked at me again!
Aug 27, 2011
have to say it did not look that bad to me either, and as for Plato, well its not like he's ever bumped anyone off the track..:whistle:

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
from what i recall of the plato incident he was quite slow into that corner, boardman carried much more speed through and from what i can remember had very little time to react. not saying it was right but i don't think it was as bad as made out, and was a racing incident in my eyes

as for the hold up on the restart as tom said he controls the pace, if people behind are not prepared to go at the pace set its not his fault. the same can be said if you were slowing for traffic on the road and someone rear ended you, its the other drivers to be aware of the speed of the traffic and drive accordingly

i thought his win was deserved after the bad luck he has had this season, and you could tell this when he got out the car on returning to the pits

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members