Bocanegra vs Cooper S vs Clio 200

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Nice review. Boc gets marked down of the handling (yet again). I do hope some nice coilovers will sort this problem. From the looks of the review it does come in last place.

One part of the review I dont understand is where they admit the Boc its faster in a strait line than the clio and the mini yet the mini gets 5/5 for performance and the Boc only get 4/5??

Look at the 0-60 (6.7sec) and 30-70(5.9sec only half a second behind a TTS or 370Z) on the Boc! They are indeed impressive.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/247033/seat_ibiza_bocanegra_vs_rivals.html

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
The 7.2 is the official figure stated in the Second Article. The lower 6.8 is the figure they recorded on a damp day. Which is pretty impressive. I know 0-60 doesn't mean much but the 30-70 time is also impressive.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Thats why it got marked down on performance i'm guessing. I think the Boc sounds great.. but each to their own. I'll go for real world evidance that something is faster rather than "feel".

The handling i'll sort out myself. Overall its not a bad review.

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
I agree with Mardon, I'm waiting for handling improvements to become available, I think the Boc looks different and the engine is best too. Also, the figures for 0 - 60 would be for the European version of the car cos that was all they had to test the cars when most of the reviews were done and if my info is correct (if it's wrong I appologise now) the Cupra and Boc are 150bhp on the continent, think it's due to petrol quality... So they would have had a UK spec to test, thus the 6.7s on the 0-60. I do admit, I feel the car is like a rocket between the gears 40 - 90 is evil in Sport mode, plus power tends to be from 2,000rpm to 6,200 and the car will happily rev up to the red line before it changes. It is also the best sounding 1.4 I've ever heard, especially at 3,400 revs.

I love the beast, Ive upgraded the brakes, next I want to look at handling.

ED

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
not driven the cupra but the FR dosnt half move especialy as ed says in sport its away!!
my main issue altho not really an issue, im guessing the cupra is the same
it just dosnt feel fast, but it is maybe this is the reason they mark it down for performance

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
I thought this. When i took the FR out on a test drive it didn't feel hugely fast. It was only when I looked at the speedo that I realised I was actually going a bit.

I think the article said it didn't feel fast even though it was.. The cupra does have more of an exhaust note so this may change things.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
I dont see why they mark it down for not "feeling fast".
I quite like the fact that even my weedy (in compaison) 1.6 doesn't feel fast, it doesn't feel like im having to thrash every last ounce of life out of it, pulling it round corners right on the very limit of oblivion, it just goes, quickly, and composed. Sounds like the FR/Cupra are the same.
Bit like fast BMWs/Audis, they're quick, but they dont scream it at you, i've always thought it to be a most admirable quality in a car

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
I have driven both types of car.

145BHP (960kg) 106 Gti on Koni suspension with a magnex decat (Plus many other engine breathing mods) which spat and rasped. I LOVED it and still do. If I could have that car again (with a healthy gear box) i'd jump at the chance. You had to really work the 1.6 16v engine but my god was it worth it on the right type of roads. Not much could keep with it on very twisty roads.

Currently (not for much longer) I drive a torque heavy 200BHP Cupra. It doesn't handle anywhere near as well but in a strait line is stupidly fast. Its also very quiet at being fast.

Day to day the Cupra is so much better to live with and is a faster straight line car, BUT for that weekend B road blast it doesn't come anywhere near the 106. I'm hoping the Boc will find a happy medium.

I think the Clio 200 will be like my 106 Gti was. Great fun and liveable for day to day but will get a little nagging. The Boc is fast but refined. Just what I want on my 100mile commute.

And the mini... err i'm a bloke who doesn't cut hair for a living.. i'm not driving a mini. :)

Fredthered

Nov 3, 2009
North West
I took a clio200 cup for a test drive the same day as i test drove a boc and to me the clio does like you say mardon "spat and rasped" whare as the boc i took it on the motorway and the salesman reminded me as a got to about 85mph ish that any speeding tickes were mine i didn't realise how fast i was goin!

Dave 77

Dave ;)
Nov 13, 2009
Hertfordshire
Same for me i test drove a corsa vxr and and clio 200 the same day and they felt like when u put ur foot down it was gunna take off but in the boca it was smooth, i had the same exsperiance, i overtook a car (mk5 golf GTI :) ) and look down i was doing 90 but it felt like bout 60-70 hehe.

One reason i took the boca over the other 2.

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
Ever thought that you don't feel the speed cos of build quality. Cabin noise is low in these cars and because we're not changing the gears and the fast smooth gear changes, we don't realise that we're going so fast. I went from an 8v 1.6 T reg Pug 306 to my Boc. I first got in my Boc and the dealer came to me and said that it was completely different to my last car. The last car I pushed to the limit. But this car is evil, no planning an overtake, no gear changes, way better handling... everything is great. Especially the head turning. Hehe.

I personally don't like any Renault. I think the Mini is stuck with the same looks.... It's looking dated now. Yeah we're limited by the DSG box, but I don't feel the need to make it faster.

Each to their own opinions.

ED

andyspencer

Eat My Soot
May 19, 2008
Birmingham
It annoys me when these magazines and TV shows pit good hatches against stripped out renaults. Top gear did it with the Focus RS and Megane R26 R RRRRR or whatever it was.
Yeah the Megane / Clio will beat most in their category for 0-60 times and handling, but the sacrifices are horrendus. Plastic windows, No rear seats, Awful cabin noise to name but a few.
Imo, the boc/cupra is best all-round mini-hatch going. Pricey, but you do get some good tech with that.

gaffer1986

Auto Express always marks down cars i like.

I find they favour Fords the most, they must have some sort of deal with ford to give their cars good reviews as i don't think they're as good as they say.

However i must confess, i will take a 5 or 6 speed manual with a clutch anyday over a flappy paddle direct shift semi automatic.

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
It annoys me when these magazines and TV shows pit good hatches against stripped out renaults. Top gear did it with the Focus RS and Megane R26 R RRRRR or whatever it was.
Yeah the Megane / Clio will beat most in their category for 0-60 times and handling, but the sacrifices are horrendus. Plastic windows, No rear seats, Awful cabin noise to name but a few.
Imo, the boc/cupra is best all-round mini-hatch going. Pricey, but you do get some good tech with that.

Ever tried a Renault yourself?

Only 1 was 'stripped out' (R26R) , the 'Cup' just denotes slight chassis modifications over the standard Renault Sport model. The RS200 Cup & RS250 Cup are perfectly driveable everyday cars.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
The full fat 200 with the cup chassis has the nicer interior etc. The normal CUP 200 has hard touch plastics etc.

I'm sure they're very nice cars. I just don’t fancy the tax and petrol bills. The Boc should be cheaper and more refined to live with day to day. With the travelling I do this takes a slight precedence over the thrill factor.

If it wasn’t for the fact the new shape clio 200 (I liked the 197) is so ugly and I did less mileage it is a car I would consider.