Bolts Seized on Downpipe

SimonM

yup, WD40 or AC90. Soak them then leave it for 10 mins, come back give them a wiggle and spray a hell of alot more on them and then try.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I wouldnt use copper slip , it will burn off.
why do you want to stop it again? surely only going to change once?.

drilling out is a dangerous option , you are fully comitied once you start , the head will be very weakened and will probably snap off and you will be just left with a stub.

dont envy being in your position.

problem is guys, copper slip will no free up a seized bolt. its only useful before the bolts are tightened up in the first place. penetrating oil and heat is the way forward, any shock treatment with a hammer (protecting the bolt/nut heads with a socket first of all)

drilling the studs out should only be the last resort, we had to drill one out on my fiesta turbo once and beleive me it was hard work not to mention the amount of drill bits we got through and normal HSS bits just don't cut it.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
I dont know about the mk2's but on the mk1 leons if the dp bolts are ceased they are just as likely to unscrew the studs from the turbo, so that cross threading feeling you are getting maybe the studs unthreading from the turbo. Lots of wd40 left to soak overnight.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I dont know about the mk2's but on the mk1 leons if the dp bolts are ceased they are just as likely to unscrew the studs from the turbo, so that cross threading feeling you are getting maybe the studs unthreading from the turbo. Lots of wd40 left to soak overnight.

My thoughts exactly.

Heat, WD40 and plenty of wiggling is the best answer, Im surprised that you can get a drill anywhere near the DP as it's a bit tight.

Try having a go at them after a drive but put some leather gardening gloves on or you may burn yourself.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.