Bonnet catch stuck

LeonLion

Sep 8, 2018
Hello, I'm having a problem with opening my bonnet, due to the catch not letting go and the plastic lever being completely useless. The level is pushed out of the grill quite bit and won't go back in either.
Added an image showing what seems to be preventing the bonnet from opening.
I tried sticking screwdriver in there and lifting it but to no avail
osK7I2d.jpg

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
It’s due to build up of crap.
Did a thread a while back. Had same problem. Needs 2 people really. One pull up bonnet far as poss. Loads of spray ed40 etc. Screw driver to push mechanism while wiggling the latch should free it. Took us about 5 goes. Use a torch too so you can see clearly.
I’ll try and find thread.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

LeonLion

Sep 8, 2018
Would the build up of crap also explain not locking fully unless pressed down really hard? As I had that problem just before this happened.
What part of the mechanism do I need to push with the screwdriver? Is it the one that the spring is latched onto?
Here's a picture to help.
5pOtBc3.jpg

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Gave everything a poke and wiggle to try and get it all moving. There’s big build up where you can’t get to ( of course and it’s the worst as it reduces movement of lever. Right at the back. )
I also tried moving the front and rear latches as much as poss.
While doing all this and once or twice letting it all go, bonnet down and a quick shove on the bonnet Again to help it all start moving. Pull release from inside.
Then prodded about. Yanked pretty hard on the release lever ( outside ) while pushing latched and it popped open. Then cleaned and greased before closing.
I know that’s not technical but it’s all we could come up with as I was stressing out as Track day was approaching. It may help.

Reactions: LeonLion

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Could contribute to being hard to lock down, yes.
Maybe a big bit of crud got in there. If it’s blocking where two parts latch then will make it worse.

Reactions: LeonLion

LeonLion

Sep 8, 2018
Alright, cheers mate. I shall try and attempt to get it open tomorrow in the morning. Hopefully won't take me all day.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
I had this happen a few years ago, managed to get it open the bonnet so stripped it out and gave it a good clean - boy there was some crap in it - greased it and refitted, not had any problems since (touch wood!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Going to give mine a preventative scrub, not had any issue with the catch but don't remember ever giving it a good clean out.

Reactions: Sparkie

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Going to give mine a preventative scrub, not had any issue with the catch but don't remember ever giving it a good clean out.

Always a good pre-winter idea as it’s one of the pieces that get neglected most of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeonLion

Sep 8, 2018
I managed to unlatch it. My problem was that the cable had come out of place and was no longer pulling the release lever. So I had to get under the car behind the radiator and try and find the lever with my hand. Got it after about 15 minutes of fiddling around.
I will still clean the catch mechanism because it definitely is too dirty.
Thanks again for the help.

Reactions: bruceR and Sparkie
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members