Bonnet 'Gas Strut' Stays

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
I see from folks engine bay pictures that it's still the manual bonnet stay :( I'll miss the gas strut on the golf when it goes.

On eBay there appears to be loads of them for various SEAT models but none for the 5F.

If anybody comes across any or if I've missed them, a heads up would be appreciated ;)

Sounds like a terryt mod lol

Last edited:

roger7248

Sep 28, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
Be careful, it looks like most of those are for OEM replacements.
I've replaced manual lifting on both front and back of my MR2 and brackets had to be made (not by me!) to enable the top of the strut to attach to the hinge.

Last edited:

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Cheers Rog.

I was only having a quick swatch, thinking ahead.

A gas/hydraulic bonnet stay should be standard imo, the manual hood is so yesterday :D Never used to give it a thought till I bought a Mk5 Golf, simplicity, even the missus could raise the hood without the usual 'what hole does this go in again'?

Penny pinching likely but their missing a trick not having it as a FF option, could be a good earner, I'd have that box ticked every time.

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
You can easily put the stay in the wrong hole too it also fits in the forward 'spiral' hole for a bump stop that's not used. Guess this is one way of saving £££'s from the retail price. Wouldn't recommend trying a retro fit as cars that have them have a reinforcement panel welded, bonded or riveted to the inner panel to spread the load.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Anyone managed to get gas struts for the bonnet on their mk3 yet?

Not yet, but been thinking about it & looking into it, there's a lot in the mk2 section of the forum about fitting to a mk2, same basic principle on what ever car
So will probably use some of the info from there and so I can avoid any pitfalls (metal bending/reinforcing as others mentioned) that the first ones to do it came across
Than fit some to mine
I'll post up when I get round to doing it

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Out of interest, just how often do Leon users have to open their bonnet?

It seems to me to be a very poor investment to have to install an expensive aftermarket solution to solve such a simple problem.

Now, if it was a lack of a gas strut on the boot that would be different.

Yes, of course it is penny pinching, but would you want to see the price of a new car increasing just because they can't be bothered to try and cut costs on what could be described as non essentials.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I fitted gas struts on my MK2.

It is possible to fit to MK3 just need to get round to making a kit for it now.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
It seems to me to be a very poor investment to have to install an expensive aftermarket solution to solve such a simple problem.

A kit for the mk2 is about £16 so not exactly expensive in my eyes. It's more of a convenience than a necessity.

100andthirty

Mar 19, 2004
Perhaps I'm unambitious, but having had both gas struts (Alhambras and a Superb) and stays (mk1 Leon and Ibiza) I'm completely agnostic about bonnet stays. Surely one only opens the bonnet every couple of months anyway!

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Perhaps I'm unambitious, but having had both gas struts (Alhambras and a Superb) and stays (mk1 Leon and Ibiza) I'm completely agnostic about bonnet stays. Surely one only opens the bonnet every couple of months anyway!

I open my bonnet a bit more than that but don't find the stay a problem. Maybe all the years of minis and metros that had to have some under bonnet attention daily has primed me for life.:lol:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
once evry few weeks to top up washer bottle and check oil does me....
don't miss all the older cars with "character" that you couldn't rely on.
any new car today you assume you can just jump in and drive 400 miles.
wasn't like that when some of us started driving.
especially early minis in the rain......pass the WD40 someone?

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
once evry few weeks to top up washer bottle and check oil does me....
don't miss all the older cars with "character" that you couldn't rely on.
any new car today you assume you can just jump in and drive 400 miles.
wasn't like that when some of us started driving.
especially early minis in the rain......pass the WD40 someone?

Yeh, I remember modding my Mini with the rubber octopus looking thing that went over the distibutor to stop rain getting into it (it faced right into the grill) great design and forethought were not in abundance in those happy days.

Feb 25, 2014
Kyiv Ukraine
olx.ua/obyavlenie/amortizatory-kapota-seat-leon-3-2012-komplekt-dlya-ustanovki-IDj3xpv.html
Without drilling. Only two brackets, two springs, two balls M6 and two M8.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise