Bonnet scrape from wiper arm

Thyper

Apr 5, 2018
Kent
Just noticed that I have a one inch scrape right on the lip of my bonnet from the wiper arm.

Gonna get Chipsaway or a touchup pen to get it fixed. Anyone got any ideas on how to protect that area or some protection material that could be attached to the wiper arm to stop it happening again?

Cheers

Thyper

mangler07

May 30, 2015
I hate that whole flyers in windscreens. There is no reason anyone should be touching someone's car (emergency situations except) especially not for shitty marketing.

Damn right rude.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I take it that only the driver side wiper would 'scrape' the bonnet if wiper lifted up a bit far? I don't seem to have this issue (if not in service position) on the passenger side wiper.

IBIZANICK

May 18, 2018
We have the same problem also.Went to clean windscreen and lifted the wiper arm,this has caught the bonnet lip and taken the paint off. Driver side only,passenger side is fine.Not sure if it is a design fault,but will go back to dealer to adjust the arm as obviously not right.

Dillon Lawrence

Jun 24, 2018
We have the same problem also.Went to clean windscreen and lifted the wiper arm,this has caught the bonnet lip and taken the paint off. Driver side only,passenger side is fine.Not sure if it is a design fault,but will go back to dealer to adjust the arm as obviously not right.

No design fault. The wipers should be put in the service position before lifting. Most cars are the same. They need to be centered then they will lift.

The purpose is stop the wipers being exposed, for pedestrian safety.

IBIZANICK

May 18, 2018
No design fault. The wipers should be put in the service position before lifting. Most cars are the same. They need to be centered then they will lift.

I've never seen this on any cars I've had previously.There is nothing in the user manual either. Seems a strange design,as in a couple of previous posts the wiper arms were lifted to leave flyers-so ever time this happens the car will get damaged.

Dillon Lawrence

Jun 24, 2018
I've never seen this on any cars I've had previously.There is nothing in the user manual either. Seems a strange design,as in a couple of previous posts the wiper arms were lifted to leave flyers-so ever time this happens the car will get damaged.

Most (if not all) modern cars now have this design. It is in the user manual, explaining how to place wipers in the service position.

It's for the purposes of safety and placing them under the bonnet line means less drag and better aerodynamics.

..and your point about flyers is why people shouldn't touch other people's cars.

Just get some touch up paint if it's only on the edge as it should offer a good match.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Nick, either run that risk or dab the wiper lever down each time immediately after you switch off. I run the risk.

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017

I've never had a car that needs this to lift the wipers, and I've had many cars and many makes over the years.

I also have 2 scuffs where I've lifted the wiper Arms to wash the windscreen and scraped the paint off. To be fair it is in the manual but who reads the manual before lifting the wiper arm???

Dillon Lawrence

Jun 24, 2018
I've never had a car that needs this to lift the wipers, and I've had many cars and many makes over the years.

I also have 2 scuffs where I've lifted the wiper Arms to wash the windscreen and scraped the paint off. To be fair it is in the manual but who reads the manual before lifting the wiper arm???

Renault, Nissan, VW, Audi, Jaguar Land Rover etc all have models across their range with the design for the reasons I stated above. Most cars now are designed this way.

And you are supposed to read the manual before you drive the car in theory. There isn't really a design flaw here. Touch up paint would probably work pretty well.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members