Bonnet stuck.

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Hello folks....went out earlier to do the usual weekly checks on fluid levels etc and the bonnet wouldnt open. The cable is ok as the bonnet opened to its first position,but the little lever in the grille was still in.
So, i spend nearly 2 hrs trying to get the bloody S emblem bit of the grill off to get at the bonnet mechanism to no avail. I levered out the plastic plate that runs over the top of the grille and used my biggest pair of pliers on the actual grille fins.I was tempted to break it off in chunks but just pressed the bonnet home and left it.
Is it just a case of using brute force to pull the grille out as im gonna have another go tomorrow ?

Snark

Jan 30, 2017
Hi Paulos

I had that happen a few years back, bonnet release was fine and went "clunk" but the plastic tongue didn't pop out. I gave it a really good spray of WD40 and spent about 10 minutes alternately pulling up the bonnet a little and giving the tongue a bit of a pull with some long nosed pliers. It eventually popped out, and after that there was no obvious mechanical fix to do other then more WD40 into the locking mechanism, giving it a really good "wiggle" and brushing a build up of old grease / dirt out of the mechanism. Been fine ever since, but I give it a spray of WD40 now every time I have the hood up just in case.

Best of luck, Snark

Reactions: Teresa
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.