Boost gauge help

LEON_FR

Rich Full Member
Jul 9, 2005
Stoke on Trent
Hey guys n girls i got my boost gauge today and i printed off a guide but i need some help.
I need to know what to do with the hose that comes off the gauge, do i need to but a 5mm silicone hose over it? on the guide it says a 3mm but i can get the hose that comes off the gauge inside the 3mm. :confused:
Help please!!!
Oh also where have you guys joined the "T" piece,what pipe is it in the engine bay that i need to cut?any pics?(its a 05 leon fr petrol) :shrug:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
hi mate, for a point of reference check out my website www.leoncupra.co.uk

under guides, engine, you will find a boost gauge installation guide with pics. This will give you a rough idea of how i did mine. However, a lot of people recommend plumbing in the t-piece into the fpr hose instead.
Have a searchy on this forum unless my website helps you

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
what gauge have you bought?

i've got an autometer boost gauge. I plumbed the supplied hose into the gauge then cut it so that about 2-3 inches stuck out of the gauge. I then forced that into some 3mm i.d hosing i bought from Homebase (about £1.50p/metre). It made a nice snug fit and doesn't leak (well hasn't yet anyway). I then ran that hose to the hose that goes into the top of the DV (the narrowest of the 3 DV hoses) cut the pipe, popped in a t-piece (again from Homebase) and secured all the hoses to the t-piece with cable-ties. easy!

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
LEON_FR said:
Cheers boys will give it a go tomorrow i think.
Do you lads think it will affect my warranty?

Depends on your dealer. Mine had a heart-attack when they saw my mods. Fortunatly i haven't needed any warranty work yet, but they as good as said my warranty is void. If i ever do need any, i'll be on the hunt for the elusive 'mod-friendly' dealer.

It's been discussed before, but you'll have a fair chance that if the part that needs warranty work hasn't been modified they *should* carry out the work.

dalepearson

Gadget Freak
Mar 25, 2004
West Midlands
I didnt cut any pipes or anything with mine, so if I ever had any issues I can put it back to standard in 2 mins.

I dont see how a boost guage would void anything, all it does is measure.

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
problem is that what a cars owner thinks and what the dealer thinks can be 2 completely differant things. Just depends on whether the garage wants to turn a blind eye or not.

LEON_FR

Rich Full Member
Jul 9, 2005
Stoke on Trent
ok boys got the guage all plugged in to my dimmer switch now i need 2 feed the hose from the engine into the cabin im using the guide found at www.leoncupra.co.uk and im going to feed it through the gromit stated on the guide but does anyone know where abouts the hose will come out inside the car??? cheers!

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
haven't got a clue!

i fed about 2m of hose through into the dash thinking it would just appear somewhere and it didn't.

i took the whole panel below the steering wheel off and also the trim behind the bonnet catch and eventually i spotted it with the help of a torch!

got hold of the bit i could see and pulled until i found the end to connect to the boost gauge - still no idea *exactly* where it all goes!

LEON_FR

Rich Full Member
Jul 9, 2005
Stoke on Trent
Tallpaul said:
haven't got a clue!

i fed about 2m of hose through into the dash thinking it would just appear somewhere and it didn't.

i took the whole panel below the steering wheel off and also the trim behind the bonnet catch and eventually i spotted it with the help of a torch!

got hold of the bit i could see and pulled until i found the end to connect to the boost gauge - still no idea *exactly* where it all goes!

looks like the dash will have 2 come out then! LOL+ :doh:

LEON_FR

Rich Full Member
Jul 9, 2005
Stoke on Trent
Ok got it all fitted now
when i put my foot down the guage goes to about 6ish and when i dip the clutch it goes to 11ish, does that sound about rite?? :confused:

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
mine peaks 13psi and hold 9-10psi.

I've got a Milltek downpipe/race-cat so mine will boost a little higher, plus these gauges aren't the most accurate things ever... 6psi sounds a little low but your gauge might be reading under?

Have a search and see if you can find what other people get.