Boosting problems

Besty-FR

Jun 22, 2012
Essex
So judging by that the rod needs to be shorter but it's really short as it is and it still isn't boosting til 3000rpm no matter what I do

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Then it's either;

Map (without seeing it couldn't say)

Or

Turbo stop screw,

As you've already said, if you've wound it all the way out the veins will be as closed as they will ever get so then it's a turbo manufacture issue.

On my GTB, I had to remove the stop screw completely to get the veins to around 1.6mm which was optimum for me. (I disassembled the turbo before installation)

Besty-FR

Jun 22, 2012
Essex
I had the stop screw removed when I managed 80mbar difference but never test drove it because I was worried it'd damage it but wanted to see if it was possible to get close to the 120 you said. The actuator has a few more turns in it still but I don't think many.

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
If the stop screw removed produced a better result, try it lightly at first and then monitor boost.

Then go for a WOT in 4th and see if it's better.

Just keep an eye on boost pressure. I'm guessing you don't have an EMP gauge so if you feel the car or engine choke ease off.

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
No, now it's either mapping or the turbo itself.

Has the turbo supplier gave you average RPM for full boost etc? What have others been getting?

When doing the on/off test are you able to watch the actuator?

Besty-FR

Jun 22, 2012
Essex
Should be full boost at 2500rpm, yeah I managed to watch it, a friend of mine has a pit in his garage so I jumped under and had a look, seems to move smoothly

Besty-FR

Jun 22, 2012
Essex
What would cause me to lose boost between gear changes? I take it over 3000rpm and get 2.2bar but when I change gear it drops right back to 0.8, meaning I need to build it back up, god this is pissing me off!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise