Boot catch won't catch

bullet2

Hi there people.

I am new so HELLO.

I bought my 54 plate Altea 2.0tdi yesterday. I loved it for about 6 hours then the boot stopped shutting. Basically the boot catch will not catch. So it sits unlocked.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem? Seat cannot look at the car for a week - so it sits outside my house unlocked.

Thanks for your help.

bullet2

Thanks for your advice guys. It is booked in tomorrow to have the lock sorted and again on Tuesday to have the recall done.

It's been a bit of a shock for me this. My last car, a subaru, never had a single problem of any sort.

My interior lights have started playing up now.

I've only had the car for 3 days - i guess it can only get better!

RichardBW

Jan 9, 2002
Leamington Spa
I had the same thing happen outside a supermarket on new years eve (on Touran not Altea but its the same parts). I had to tie it shut and get in to the nearest dealer who hadnt got the part in stock, they did find a part at a dealer about 25 miles away so the first dealer arranged for me to go straight there and have it swapped. All a bit of an inconvenience but great service from both VW dealers and all sorted the same day.
They did tell me that it was a common issue and the parts have been modified with the Touran so probably the same story with the Altea?

Steam machine

Hi, have been really happy with my Altea but now the boot catch keeps sticking. By that i mean that it closes fine but sometimes wont open till the second or third attempt. Sometimes more.I do seem to remember that when looking at used Seats (not just Alteas) we came accross this problem. I'm booking it in with the dealer-i'm assuming under warranty.

TonyC

Hi, have been really happy with my Altea but now the boot catch keeps sticking. By that i mean that it closes fine but sometimes wont open till the second or third attempt. Sometimes more.I do seem to remember that when looking at used Seats (not just Alteas) we came accross this problem. I'm booking it in with the dealer-i'm assuming under warranty.

Hi,

Is it actually sticking, or is the lock mechanism re-latching.

I found I was opening the boot on the Altea in the same way as my other car - using the Seat logo to unlock the boot & then opening.

The Seat design only briefly opens the lock, so I found the lock was re-latching before I actually pulled the boot open.

You have to pull the Seat logo to unlock & open the boot at the same time - not wait for it to unlock, then open it.

Maybe you're doing the same ?

Tony.

Jaytee

Jul 26, 2005
Hemel Hempstead, UK
FinerDetails said:
Some of the Altea guys on SCC have reported this prob too, more to do with having to give it a good slam when closing, found this myself too. Had to pull over a few times and reopen and slam the boot as it wasn't closed properly.

Iain

I have the same problem with my Toledo - from day 1 the boot has been difficult to shut.
However, something strange has happened on each side now - a kind of plastic/ribber sheet attached to a plastic tube collar which slides up and down the tailgate strut has appeared from nowhere!!:confused:
When it happened 1st on the offside, I pushed it back down through the slot, when the nearside one appeared I have left it there, to be sorted out at 1st service.
I think this might have something to to with the closing problem.:think:

John.

StuAlteaTDI

Locked out the boot?

Hi all, after the rather annoying wiper blade problem which is not sorted 'thanks again guys'. I have had the intermittent head unit turning its self on for no reason, dealer 'has one on order' so not too sure what that is supossed to mean as there has been no feedback from them.

No the icing on the cake went to open the boot earlier and nothing, thought it may have been me not unlocking the car, but no the boot was pretty intent on not opening. Being almost 4pm on a Saturday no chance on the service dept being open but called the local dealer and supplier of the car only to have confirmed servie was now closed until Monday. Seriously considering going down there and having a barney, they have been pretty inconsistant from day one so just wondering if it will make any difference of just go to another dealer, although they are a little further away. Still I am assuming this will be covered under warranty.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.