Boot Gas Struts

neiloid

Aug 11, 2008
Clanfield, Hants
I've noticed that in cold weather the gas struts on my '06 Leon don't hold up the tailgate. Is there a repair for this or is it a case of buying and fitting new struts?

What price for the struts and is it an easy DIY job?

Thanks in advance.

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
Gas struts struggle in cold weather due to the temperature. The higher the temperature the greater the pressure in the cylinder due to the gas explanding, therefore a stronger strut. Opposite happenes in cold weather where there is less pressure in the cylinder because the gas molecules have less kinetic energy and therefore can easily be compressed.

neiloid

Aug 11, 2008
Clanfield, Hants
Gas struts struggle in cold weather due to the temperature. The higher the temperature the greater the pressure in the cylinder due to the gas explanding, therefore a stronger strut. Opposite happenes in cold weather where there is less pressure in the cylinder because the gas molecules have less kinetic energy and therefore can easily be compressed.

Thanks Benjic, I understand the physics just fine but the problem has never happened in either the front bonnet or rear tailgates struts on my TT and the rear tailgate is much heavier on the TT - which lead me to thinking they need regas or replacement.

SGS regas and sell their own replacements for £13.99 + VAT so I'm tempted to go for them.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
While were on to struts... Had a really bad creeking boot lid was annoying the sh!t out of me, had a pull and a shake of the struts, still creeky, turns out it was the parcel shelf where the clips rest... FFS. Ragged it now sorted.

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
I reckon it's got to be 2 years since I had mine done, SGS did mark the struts with the pressure they regassed to and the date. They can up the gas pressure, but you'd best talk it through with them.

IIRC I paid around £30-£35 for the regas and return postage.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I reckon it's got to be 2 years since I had mine done, SGS did mark the struts with the pressure they regassed to and the date. They can up the gas pressure, but you'd best talk it through with them.

IIRC I paid around £30-£35 for the regas and return postage.

That's the same as brand new struts!

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Yeah, but I had more gas put in my struts, so they shouldn't struggle after 4 years like they did from new.

Fair enough. I have the gas strut mod so I have skoda octavia with boot spoiler struts in mine.

The temperature really does have a lot to do with it (physics), they really aren't as powerful in this cold weather!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise