Boot Lid Shut indicator on Dash

jabre

I have just bought a Leon Cupra R and a couple of days ago the warning light that says the boot lid isn't shut properly came on.
The odd thing is the boot lid was shut and all seems to be ok. Also when I turn on my side lights the warning lght goes off.

Does anyone have an idea what it could be???

I'm guessing it will just be a simple switch or loose wire or something but I would be greatful of an other ideas or experience with these sorts of problems

Last edited by a moderator:

Teasy

Sep 1, 2007
Middlesbrough
I have just bought a Leon Cupra R and a couple of days ago the warning light that says the boot lid isn't shut properly came on.
The odd thing is the boot lid was shut and all seems to be ok. Also when I turn on my side lights the warning lght goes off.

Does anyone have an idea what it could be???

I'm guessing it will just be a simple switch or loose wire or something but I would be greatful of an other ideas or experience with these sorts of problems

Just searched & found this, I'm having trouble closing mine....have to really slam it shut [:@] and it's getting on my t*ts and dislodging my parcel shelf speaker covers :censored:
but I dont know about your problem, maybe as you say a loose wire :shrug: :think:

garycooperat34

simple fix.

i had exactly the same problem. the boot warning light also connects with the wiper loom where both cables for the rear wiper and boot and lights all join to the rear of the car hence turning the lights on and your boot light goes off.

pop down to your local car store and buy some electrical contact spray (WD40 isn't sufficient) should be about £2.50 for a large can.

Spray the liquid down the wiper stork on the steering wheel and work the spray in by moving the stork in all directions. spray a bit more and do the same again.

switch the car off. lock it. open in switch your car on and your boot warning light will work properly again and no longer appear when the boot's closed!

hope this helps

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
I had this problem as well before christmas, different suloution to fixing it though.

I only noticed the boot lid light because it kept triggering my alarm, had the same as above with the boot light dimmed when car was on but as soon as i switched the headlights on it would go off. Turned out that my rear washer jet pipe connection in the boot was leaking and water had got into the boot latch triggering the alarm when locked as the water made the car think think the boot was open.

If the above sollution doesn't work its worth checking you're washer jet pipe incase its leaking and get it before it starts triggering the alarm.

Had to leave mine in the garage for 3 days to dry out.

phillleonfr

I'm glad i found this i have been having the same problem on my 05 leon fr the alarm keeps going of randomly and around the same time it started the rear boot warning light started staying on when it was shut i ended up taking the alarm horn out coz it was keeping the street up at night. I'm going to try the contact spray fingers crossed.

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
That'll be your washer jet in your boot mate, you'll need to reconnect it and make sure it doesnt come off again (superglue)

Then you'll need to dry out your boot.

Sep 29, 2008
Midlands
you'll need to reconnect it and make sure it doesnt come off again (superglue)

Not sure this is advisable… I’d rather have it pop off the rear jet (even if it is a bit of a bitch to get at) again, rather than causing it to pop off elsewhere (which isn’t accessible) :shrug:

phillleonfr

Well i tried the spray down the wiper stalk and had no joy and the pipe was ok last time i looked at it.AHH :think::help:

garycooperat34

Well i tried the spray down the wiper stalk and had no joy and the pipe was ok last time i looked at it.AHH :think::help:

did you actually try spraying right inside the steering wheel assembly? work it in then spray some more and then wipe off the residue?

phillleonfr

did you actually try spraying right inside the steering wheel assembly? work it in then spray some more and then wipe off the residue?

Well i got some contact cleaner from halfrauds and put the little tube in the bottom of the stalk and sprayed then moved it up down back and forth then did it again and no joy so do you think i should spray deeper in there?

garycooperat34

Well i got some contact cleaner from halfrauds and put the little tube in the bottom of the stalk and sprayed then moved it up down back and forth then did it again and no joy so do you think i should spray deeper in there?

yes right down and then move the indicator stork as well as the wiper stork in all directions for about 3 minutes left indicator with full beam etc etc. if that still doesn't work, you have a small microswicth above the book lock mechanism in the boot - replace that and will cost about £1.50 from maplin if you have checked the wiper pipes already.

i suggest the contact spray because it is a known problem on the steering wheels where the storks wear the copper cables to filings and it creates new circuits lighting the light on the dash. and many get stung with stealer bills of £50+ for new relays etc etc so contact spray for very little cost and time is always a good start.

like i say, solved all my electrical problems so far, wiper, indicator relays, boot light, faulty door lock, sisters mobile phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

phillleonfr

OK thanks for you help ill try em does this micro switch come out easy so i can take it with me?

garycooperat34

OK thanks for you help ill try em does this micro switch come out easy so i can take it with me?

yes the microswitch just un plugs. its about the size of a pen lid. the bugger is actually getting to it behind the car interior. so really unless it really is bothering you, best just to leave it.

mikeholroyd

That'll be your washer jet in your boot mate, you'll need to reconnect it and make sure it doesnt come off again (superglue)

Then you'll need to dry out your boot.

+1
Exactly this problem on the Octavia when the washer pipe detatched from the nozzle inside the boot trim.
Just make sure you neutralise the washer fluid in the lock and electrics before trying to dry it out. I didn't, and the dried up washer fluid corroded the terminals inside the switch, and cost me £70 for a new lock.

Mike

phillleonfr

yes the microswitch just un plugs. its about the size of a pen lid. the bugger is actually getting to it behind the car interior. so really unless it really is bothering you, best just to leave it.

Ok cool ive have the boot panel off before so it no problem :)

mikeyg_uk

Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2008
Brighton
my rear wipers been leaking in my boot and my wheel arch, now my boot light on the dash doesn't even come on at all.. Nor does my interior boot light work? Any ideas?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members