Boot Lock Mechanim

Discussion in 'Leon Mk2' started by CharlieWare21, May 26, 2017.

1. CharlieWare21

CharlieWare21 New Member

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my boot on my 2012 Mk2 Seat Leon FR - when I went to shut the boot, it wouldn't lock properly and it made a funny noise! I have tried attaching a link to youtube but I haven't made 15 posts yet....:(

I have tried searching through here but I couldn't find a clear solution.

has anyone else had this problem? Was it just the mechanism that is attached to the boot? or was it an electrical problem?

any help would be great [B)]

Thanks
    Charlie

2. Rusty2k

Rusty2k Full Member

There's a worm gear in the release actuator that's prone to snapping. The noise you're hearing is probably the remains of that worm gear getting bashed around inside the actuator when the motor moves. It can end up jamming the latch in the open position. It sounds like this is what has happened to you.

Unfortunately the actuator and latch mechanism are only supplied as a single part so you'll probably need to replace the entire latch unit. I think it was about £60 from SEAT when I replaced mine a couple of years ago.

3. Leontaff81

Leontaff81 New Member

I have the same issue I think the boot won't lock and when you push the seat badge to open the boot it just makes a noise also is there anyway I can lock it from inside till I get a new lock

4. BOBisREADY

BOBisREADY New Member

Question, would you happen to have a link for this part, my problem is that it will no longer open and I get this wired noise...any help would be awesome!

5. Leontaff81

Leontaff81 New Member

Yep that's what I have been told by seat I have just ordered it £60.04 haha and I have to order some clips for the plastic panel as on has bluetac in it to hold it on
    OBisREADY, post: 4772722, member: 114400"]Question, would you happen to have a link for this part, my problem is that it will no longer open and I get this wired noise...any help would be awesome![/QUOTE]

6. BOBisREADY

BOBisREADY New Member

[/QUOTE]
    Would you have a part number?

7. Leontaff81

Leontaff81 New Member

Would you have a part number?[/QUOTE]
    Hi sorry don't have a part number yet I get it on Wednesday so I can give you it then I just give them my registration number and they knew what I needed

8. Rusty2k

Rusty2k Full Member

Unless it's been superseded in the last couple of years it'll be 1P0827505D 9B9

Give Mike at Listers SEAT a try. They do parts delivery and discount for forum members. Contact details in the dealers section.

9. ZiggyEP3

ZiggyEP3 Full Member

This was mine in 2015 sounds nasty doesnt it. Had to use bungee cords to hold the boot shut while i got a new boot catch.

10. Rusty2k

Rusty2k Full Member

Yeah that's the classic symptom of this failure.

I've said this on another thread on here in the past but I'll put it here for future reference to; if you remove the plastic shroud from the latch you can remove the broken parts from the actuator (or the whole actuator) so it will lock again. It can still be manually opened from the inside if you did this.

In fact, I've actually noticed looking at this problem again over the last few days that it seems to be a big enough problem that suppliers have sprung up offering replacement gear parts for the actuator.

I found this on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEO...E-LOCK-LATCH-MOTOR-ACTUATOR-GEAR/332489851855

s-l1600.jpg
    I've not bought one so I can't speak to the quality, but for £7 it may be worth making a repair attempt on the existing actuator before buying a new latch unit.