Boot respray

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
Went out to get some lunch today and noticed a scratch on my boot around 3-4 inches long. I washed the car last night so I know its happened sometime this morning, my best bet is its been done by a student or shopper from the nearby Morrisons who has rubbed against it with a bag or messages - idiots. Anyway, went to get some quotes (well 2) and the price for the boot respray is coming in at £130 & £150(+vat). Is this the going rate? Also if anyone has any experience or recommendations (Glasgow/Paisley Area) i'd be more than happy to listen. Thanks

malky39

Mar 12, 2008
Southside
Bit out the way but i would reccommed C.H. Bulls in bridge of weir paddy very good at what they do especially bodywork and painting, not sure if what a price would be thought

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
Bit out the way but i would reccommed C.H. Bulls in bridge of weir paddy very good at what they do especially bodywork and painting, not sure if what a price would be thought

Cheers for the tip Malky - I'll nip out this afternoon and see what they quote. ;)

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
is it that deep that it can't be polished out? A car detailer may be able to get it out without the need for a repsray and I doubt it'll cost £130.

Apr 1, 2007
the general rule is, if you can feel the scratch with the edge of your nail (running you finger over the panel upside down) then it will need to be sprayed.

malky39

Mar 12, 2008
Southside
Can't a mobile dent man do this rather than paying a body shop who charge more cos well they have a shop to pay for!

good point you could try car medic aswell they do mobile repairs so you wouldnt have to be without your car, they do good work too and will come out and give you a free quote

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
You got a pic of the scratch? Tbh I wouldn't expect to pay more than £100 for a boot respray. It's not a very big panel

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Someone scratched the bumper on my Altea quite bad, loads of plastic showing. I got Chipsaway (they do the same as Car Medic) to sort it. The guy came and gave me a free quote, then arranged a time and did the repair at my convenience. It only cost about £80 sometime last year and I was really happy with the result and I'll definitely use them again if need be.

http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/

Last edited:

Deleted member 13581

I would use Touch Ups Paddy.

Done a cracking job n Kenny's FR boot when he got his smoothed. Give them a bell and find out how much they would be.

Heres the contact details:

54 Hamilton Street
Polmadie
Glasgow
G42 OPL

Contact Number - 07817513223

email - [email protected]

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
all i can say is...don't attempt to use the touch up pens. the colour is never matched and now i have dark spots on my bonnet and rear quarter :(

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
come down to irvine and go to simons accident repair centre, hes good and if i phone him n tell him ur comin u might get it cheaper, he gives me a good bit off cause i use him everytime, i have given up being nice to folk that accidently bump or scratch or knock any car, its just carelessness or sabotage! a large woman tane up 2 spaces in a car park today and with all that room between her and the next car (my bros mk4 golf) she still flung her door open and knocked his, slighlty chipped the paint, all she said was "o look i knocked your door by accident" something like that but it bugs me that these folk dont give a ****, even tho we spend all our hard earned cash making them look good!

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Dont use a chipsaway bloke or someone like for gods sake!

There's a reason why body shops use ovens to bake the paint. Painting the car outside - in a garage or whatever may look good at the time, and it may be the cheaper alternative but it shows over time. You'll probably get over-spray all over the car (Chips Away down here get overspray everywhere) and the lacquer will probably crackle and lift off in a year or two's time where the paint hasn't been baked.

You have a nice car fella, do a proper job on it. :)

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
Thanks Guys, I'll get pictures up tonight ;) Malky I tried CH Bulls but they quoted over £200! :lol:

A few guys on other forums I browse recommend Touch Ups highly!

As for chips away - These are franchises, one guy in one place might be brilliant, another perhaps not so good... just luck of the draw!

I've not used either yet - My mate used to be a panel beater at Dandrea's in Kilmarnock so he's done a couple odd jobs when I needed them - They are **** hot, mainly do accident repair stuff but they also do private work too. They charge a premium though (01563 543827)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.