Boot shaving

45SET

ITS [ASSET] DAMNIT
Aug 21, 2004
Hey all

So I have come to the time where I want to do some body work to my car.

So first off I want to shave the boot. So the number plate surround should be easy, basically getting rid of the plastic, and replacing with metal, and working it all into the body, with the lights above the no. plate going basically in the same spots.

So then comes to the opening knob thingy (under the No. Plate where you open the boot, see pic at bottom). So I want to have a FULL Shaven boot, with no things.... and this seems to be a bit of a hassle.... I’m getting an alarm put in on Friday, and I asked for the auto boot release. when they saw the car they said "We have put a few of the auto boot release systems on some Mercs, and cause they are built basically the same as this yours, there isn't a spring in the boot to open it." So I have hit a bit of a problem... as if I get rid of the lock, I can't get to the boot... but if I keep it... I’ll be annoyed with the look of the car.

So I’m asking how people in the same boat have come around this problem, as I have a few pics of Ibiza’s with shaved boots, that don't have it there.

Thanks for your help all

45SET

IMG_8460.jpg

vwsurfbum

YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ME!!
Aug 10, 2005
essex
surly if you can shave the boot, smooth it off put remote release on it i would of thought it would be quite easy to add some kind of spring system to the lock? even to the slam panel?

45SET

ITS [ASSET] DAMNIT
Aug 21, 2004
i won't be doing any of the work. a car shop is doing the alarm, and a freind is doing the body work later one, in a few weeks.

i just have to do all the research

vwsurfbum

YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ME!!
Aug 10, 2005
essex
ah ha! need to tell the guy whos doing the body work to work a truck spring into the tailgate!

45SET

ITS [ASSET] DAMNIT
Aug 21, 2004
aahhhh.... k.... anyone have any real help?

perferably that have done this before.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Didnt realise you were at the other side of the world. Basic parts should still be available. As far as I am aware, its just a solenoid connected to the locking mechanism. You can remove the lock without removing the mechanism.

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
simple i did it in minutes, all you do is get a solenoid, maplins sell them like whats on central locking systems, and then attatch a cable to the end and the other end of the cable to the locking mechanism. take off the plastic trim in the boot at the back of the door and just play around with the lock. get rid of the back wiper too and use the wiring for that to wire in the release, cos its an arse to send wires up and down the sides of the boot... ive got rca cables video leads and tonnes of wires which ive threaded up there and it takes ages.

if you dont understand a word i just typped then never mind and good luck

45SET

ITS [ASSET] DAMNIT
Aug 21, 2004
i kinda understood you there ibiza 95.... have you got any pics of your boot by any chance?

thanks alot all.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
this is my old ibiza,for whats its worth,i delocked the front door handles and left the boot catch on. incase my remote alarm failed,then i'd have one entry point.
plus on your car your hardly going to notice the boot catch.
carpics005.jpg

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
vroomtshh said:
As far as I am aware, its just a solenoid connected to the locking mechanism. You can remove the lock without removing the mechanism.
Yup, it's the same mechanism on the Cordoba. My boot lock was removed and smoothed over, whilst a solenoid fitted to the catch itself. Pretty straight forward really :)

45SET

ITS [ASSET] DAMNIT
Aug 21, 2004
so if i find a wrecked cordoba (i want the rear door handles) what parts of the boot would i need? to makke this all work

james_mk

Mk bandit
May 14, 2004
milton keynes/coventry
forget t smooth boots dont suit ibizas, make them look like lunchbox's. just have the number plate recess made smaller so u can stick a little number plate in there, n loose the lock, n wiper.

45SET

ITS [ASSET] DAMNIT
Aug 21, 2004
yeah thats the plan... basicly replacing plastic with metal... and making it all flush

45SET

ITS [ASSET] DAMNIT
Aug 21, 2004
damn...

i was thinking of possible using the same door latch typ ething as 2000 mod Alfa Romeo GTV's have got... with the botton... just gotta find one

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
james_mk said:
forget t smooth boots dont suit ibizas, make them look like lunchbox's. just have the number plate recess made smaller so u can stick a little number plate in there, n loose the lock, n wiper.
im with you on that one - makes em look like a chavved up mk3 astra otherwise

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise