Boot Struts

pastrami

MK3 LEON ST FR 2.0 TDI184
May 15, 2017
Kent
So mine arrived today, mega excitement (so sad I know), installed in 5 minutes.... and... they make absolutely no difference whatsoever! Arghhh!

They seem to have exactly the same tension as the originals I took off. When I hold the open boot button down, it doesn't spring up like expected, just slightly pops, same as before. So disappointing.

"Stabilus 630499 Gas Spring" - Have I ordered the wrong ones?! I have an Estate version Leon if that makes a difference. Not sure whether to send them back and deal with all the hassle that entails, or just live with my crap purchase decision and have a random spare pair of boot struts in my shed. Any suggestions?!

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
I bought the wrong ones initially thinking they were right, sent them back for free and bought the right ones with a full refund

pastrami

May 15, 2017
Kent
I bought the wrong ones initially thinking they were right, sent them back for free and bought the right ones with a full refund

Do you, or anyone else happen to know the correct part number?

I did check through various forum posts and was sure i'd got the right ones. Maybe I made the same mistake!

Last edited:

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
I have an SC but they're the same part that I know people have used on the hatchback so I can only assume they would also fit the estate. ATB offered me a free return when I had my mishap
No, estate are different from what I know.
The boot lid is heavier needs stronger ones

pastrami

May 15, 2017
Kent
Thanks for the input fellas. If someone with an mk3 ST could confirm, that would be awesome.

niallain

Apr 9, 2017
Cardiff
I've bought the struts in post #125 and even the reviews on eBay show success

The struts are slightly too long for my Leon SC.
I'm also confused as the instructions in the packing slip say "When installing the gas springs loosen the tow balls half a turn at maximum" but I can't seem to turn anything on the struts themselves?

Any help would be appreciated.

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
I've bought the struts in post #125 and even the reviews on eBay show success

The struts are slightly too long for my Leon SC.

I'm also confused as the instructions in the packing slip say "When installing the gas springs loosen the tow balls half a turn at maximum" but I can't seem to turn anything on the struts themselves?

Any help would be appreciated.

Are they the ones from the link I posted or earlier? I have an SC as well and I bought some that sound like what you've bought. The ones I replaced them with work perfectly

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Yup.

Bought the ones you linked in post #125 for £25.80

Did you have one of the originals on when you tried to do it? They are slightly longer than stock so I took both of the originals off first, feels like you push the boot further than it should go but that's just to get the ball and socket on, when it actually opens although quickly it doesn't push beyond a safe limit

niallain

Apr 9, 2017
Cardiff
Did you have one of the originals on when you tried to do it? They are slightly longer than stock so I took both of the originals off first, feels like you push the boot further than it should go but that's just to get the ball and socket on, when it actually opens although quickly it doesn't push beyond a safe limit

That'll probably be it.
Another note, the ball joints that are at an angle are on the thinner arm on the new ones, they're on the thicker arm on the stock.
Do I put the new ones the same way as the arms or ball joints as stock?

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
That'll probably be it.

Another note, the ball joints that are at an angle are on the thinner arm on the new ones, they're on the thicker arm on the stock.

Do I put the new ones the same way as the arms or ball joints as stock?

Put them on the same as the ones you take off and yeah, get someone to give you a hand by holding the boot up while you put the first one on, second should be easier then

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.