Boot wont open - HELP!!

JONNYVT

Sep 9, 2002
LEICESTER
Visit site
Hello all

Went to open the hatchback on my 05 LCR and it does'nt work! Tried the central locking loads of times and can hear things happening at the boot lock but still cannot open it. Have tried using the manual lock but this makes not difference.

Any suggestions? My MOT due soon and I cant get to the spare wheel!

Cheers

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Before trying anything that involves taking things apart

Hold the boot handle up horizontal with one hand.
Smack it downwards sharply by hitting it with your other hand.

Now try it.

Last edited:

everitt1980

Weekend runabout
Aug 15, 2008
sheffield
Had same problem with mine. The catch had got stuck and wouldn't work. I had to crawl in back and take the boot lid panel off. There are a couple of screws in the handle scoops and then just pulls off. Its very tight though but don't be scared. Once you get the panel off you can engage the release by hand and open the boot. Then its just a case of having a play with the catch. You will see whats a miss.

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
Hello all

Went to open the hatchback on my 05 LCR and it does'nt work! Tried the central locking loads of times and can hear things happening at the boot lock but still cannot open it. Have tried using the manual lock but this makes not difference.

Any suggestions? My MOT due soon and I cant get to the spare wheel!

Cheers

Don't worry about the MOT mate; mine went through two weeks ago and the boot is stuck shut. Nothing was said so I guess they either went through the car (I doubt) or the spare is not part of the MOT.

It is the actual catch on mine that is bust. The little bit that sticks up and is moved by the rod from the handle is not touching. I've left it now until the warmer weather!

JONNYVT

Sep 9, 2002
LEICESTER
Visit site
Many thanks all, used the suggested method and now I can open my boot! I'm gonna attach some string to the release arm just in case it happens again. cheers

andycupra

status subject to change
Don't worry about the MOT mate; mine went through two weeks ago and the boot is stuck shut. Nothing was said so I guess they either went through the car (I doubt) or the spare is not part of the MOT.

It is the actual catch on mine that is bust. The little bit that sticks up and is moved by the rod from the handle is not touching. I've left it now until the warmer weather!

spare is NOT part of the MOT ND there is no requirement for one.

I thought that it was a case of not needing one, but that if you did have to have one then it had to be in legal condition. But seems this is not the case as the spare is not part of the mot.

Interestingly, if you have a space saver spare and you had a puncture before the test and so presented for the MOT with the space saver fitted the an axel it would not pass the MOT.

Last edited:

RJ2DJ

I'd just like to say thanks - the hold it open with one hand and smack it shut with the other hand does the trick brilliantly!

Sorry to dig up an old thread!

mikeholroyd

I tried everything to release the hatch on mine, but ended up having to take the panel off the boot whilst it was shut (not easy) then physically moving the release rod.

I tried lubricating the central locking solenoid, but that didn't work, so ended up replacing the complete central locking motor. Not worth messing about trying to lubricate -- new ones are only £13 from the dealer

Mike

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I tried everything to release the hatch on mine, but Not worth messing about trying to lubricate -- new ones are only £13 from the dealer
Mike

The point of the other thread is for people have issues with the boot release mechanisms.
My solenoid was fine and was working each time. If you can't hear it working when pressing the key fob twice or if it's periodically working then of course a new one is needed. No amount of lubricant is going to help.

mikeholroyd

The point of the other thread is for people have issues with the boot release mechanisms.
My solenoid was fine and was working each time. If you can't hear it working when pressing the key fob twice or if it's periodically working then of course a new one is needed. No amount of lubricant is going to help.

Not necessarily. On mine, you could hear the central locking motor trying to work, but the plunger was jammed in the housing, keeping it permanently locked. On taking the old solenoid apart, the jammed plunger preventing the motor from working had stripped the teeth of the plastic gear wheel inside, so the motor itself was working, but not operating the plunger which locks/unlocks the boot lid. I would presume this could be a common thing to stop the boot opening, and it is a cheap and easy fix to change the solenoid and should eliminate any future problems.

Not being funny here, but once again cupra.net has produced some responses to a member's problems that are not just downright unhelpful, but sarcastic in tone. Why does this happen so much on here? If someone has a problem, they're asking for answers that will help, not make them look idiots that they don't know the solutions themselves.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

JamJay

California Bound
I can hear the motor working so I am stumped. Today it's been working on and off but I read DPJ's tip about thumping the leaver and what do you know...worked first time. I will put this down to the weather and see if it improves over Spring. Thanks for the info Mike, I now know what to look out for if that does happen :)

mikeholroyd

If you need a new motor, part number is 1M0 959 781 Retails £11.50 + vat = £13.51

Mine was slightly cheaper as I got mine a few days before VAT went back up!

Mike

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
spare is paart of the MOT. But only if its there, which there is no requirement for.

So if its there, it must be inflated and be legal, (treat dept condition etc)
But if its not there, then this is fine.

Nope, its not part of the test, can be bald as you like, if its not fitted it doesnt matter.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.