Brake caliper bolt spinning and not tightening PD 100

TheLunchCrasher

Next problem with the wifes car. Whilst I was having the springs sorted (broken spring) and replaced with some Eibachs, the specilists spotted that one of the front brake caliper bolts was just spinning.

Great, so got a price today, the PD 100 model has an all in one design so can't just swap the caliper carrier. So once all of the hub, bearing and carrier is replaced I am looking at £280 all in. There is no point not doing it all because of the faff. At the same time it is expensive just because a bolt is spinning.

I am told that this is a common problem on Ibizas and Polos, though searching on here has not shown any results.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
replace the front hubs with the ones off a pd130 or pd160 (£90ish each) and buy my old brake set up from my FR! 2 birds one stone;)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
long shot but not Lucas girling calipers are they ??

just wondering if the ones on the mk2/mk3 worth a try ?

might be a whole different type though

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
FSIII calipers
615160.png

Lucas Girling

615250.png

if it is the latter it MAY be worth trying the Ford pin conversion that the mk2 uses, couldn't say for sure but at £15 a set it's worth a shot compared to a whole frame as that's why i went looking for a solution when a whole frame only was the option

it's a long shot but theoretically worth a side to side check

Last edited:

TheLunchCrasher

The design on the Mk4 is totally different, but cheers for the thought.

Had thought about the upgrade to 130/160 ones but really is not needed, the brakes are good enough for my wifes needs, she hoons like the rest of us but is not a late braker lol.

TheLunchCrasher

Not sure about how safe a helicoil would be, got to be better than a spinning bolt though

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members