Brake caliper for a v5

Baffled Spoon

Nov 17, 2008
Glasgow
So my tolly v5 has had problems when reversing where it would make a groaning noise from the rear brakes. The car had new discs and pads a year ago but when I checked the brakes a week ago the rear discs were very warped, so I put in another new set of discs. The pads are still nice and thick with even looking wear. At the same time I checked the caliper sliders and the rubbers looked fine but i sprayed some wd40 in and cleaned them and this stopped the groaning for a while but now its back worse than before.

So, does anyone with better mechanical knowledte able to guess what might be wrong? Is the caliper at fault? Any way to check for this or do I need to stump up for a refurb?

Cheers, Spoon.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Only when reversing? I wouldn't expect the discs to warp from reversing, unless you go everywhere backwards?

I normally have a groaning noise from my brakes when reversing, mainly because the only time I reverse is after leaving the car standing, and the brakes have got a light rust coating. The groaning is them being cleaned up.

You can easily check for brakes binding, lift the corner of the car and spin the wheel. If it spins smoothly with no dragging anywhere, then it's fine. If you hear 'swoosh swoosh' in time with the wheel revolutions then the disc isn't straight. A regular 'screetch' is something more serious. Spin it forward and backward to see if there is any difference, and check the disc surface to make sure it's clean.

Baffled Spoon

Nov 17, 2008
Glasgow
Thanks Slimy :)

I reverse into my drive and then drive out forwards so my discs are shiny and rust free by the time I reverse again, so that factor probably doesnt have anything to do with it.

I did the check for brake binding before, jacked up the car, wheel off and rotated the disc and there was a little swoosh swoosh and the disc felt like it was catching at a few places hence why I got new rear discs. The pads looked evenly worn and thick.

I also tried the above after the new discs where fitted and the sliders cleaned and the disc rotated with no noise forward or back. Since then however, the noise has come back (been about a week) and now the brakes screech when I'm stopping going forwards as well! Argh!

So the discs are fine, my year old pads look good as new, but there is still a noise so something must be catching...

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The screech may just be the old pads bedding to new discs. It's one reason why you shouldn't use old pads on new discs, they should be changed together. New pads on old discs are fine. It might be worth taking the rear pads off and sanding the surface, then let them bed in again to the new discs. Don't forget a smear of copper grease on the trailing edge.

Is the dust shield catching on anything?

Baffled Spoon

Nov 17, 2008
Glasgow
Nothing appears to be catching anywhere. I sanded the pads though and copper greased the backs and that has gotten rid of the screeching when stopping going forwards, so at least that's something. I also re-lubed the caliper sliders and cleaned everything up which got rid of the reversing noise again, but as last time it returned after about 15 miles of normal driving, so I'm thinking the caliper may be sticking. No other reason for the problem that I can think of.

The main problem I think is the rear offside caliper, which seemed to have more resistance than the driver's side caliper when I was rewinding the piston, so I think I'm going to have to replace this. Cheapest I've found is £84 on an exchange basis at Euro Car Parts. Any other place that sells calipers?

Also how difficult is it to change a caliper? Is it just a case of whip the caliper of, discount the brake line pipe, put new caliper on, refill brake fluid and refit?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I'd go for a recon caliper, most of it is just a lump of metal so its pointless getting a brand new one. As long as the seals have been replaced and the whole thing cleaned up you'll be fine. If you can afford to have your car immobilised for a day you could always get your existing one reconditioned.

And yes, that is the process although I would disconnect the pipe rather than discount it! ;) You will have to bleed the brakes and possibly the clutch as well, and it's a job I really hate.

odd-head

new to the dub scene
Feb 27, 2010
calne, wiltshire
mine moans going in reverse as well but so did my civic and my mondeo both with rear discs and it has never bothered me. was told by my mechanic that most cars do this. as long as it doesnt do it going forward evrything should be fine.

Baffled Spoon

Nov 17, 2008
Glasgow
Well, all is finally well with the tolly again. It took a while but a recon caliper sorted the problem and now there are no groans when reversing. Fuel economy has jumped a bit as well without the brakes dragging. Funny that... :D

Richdub

Thank god for forums! At least i know why mine is making that stoopid noise now!!

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
Had my rear nearside caliper replaced as well the other week. Funny, seems taht might be a weakpoint on the car ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.