brake caliper grinding on wheels

nazams

hi everyone

Im in abit of trouble again:shrug:

I changed my front disks and pads today got it all done and once i put whell on and tried to dive i coudnt cus the wheel was grinding on the caliper. lol!!!!

Can any one tell me were i might have gone wrong, there was nothing wrong with it before i changed all the disc and pads. I have put everything back on like it was so i dont get how this has happend. I cant even drive it at all.

I thoght of get 3mm spacers to put and see the diffranec,

Any one know how i can fix all this mess up please it would help.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
hi everyone

Im in abit of trouble again:shrug:

I changed my front disks and pads today got it all done and once i put whell on and tried to dive i coudnt cus the wheel was grinding on the caliper. lol!!!!

Can any one tell me were i might have gone wrong, there was nothing wrong with it before i changed all the disc and pads. I have put everything back on like it was so i dont get how this has happend. I cant even drive it at all.

I thoght of get 3mm spacers to put and see the diffranec,

Any one know how i can fix all this mess up please it would help.

I guess these are after-market wheels? With the single piston floating style calipers that most leon have (exc. LCR) when new pads are put in, the front of the caliper will move closer to the wheel to allow the thicker pad to fit. Spacers will be your only option; or using a different style of wheel with more spoke clearance.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I'm guessing the Mk1 Leon has the same caliper type as mine, IE they're sliding calipers mounted on a carrier. As the pads wear down the caliper moves to keep the pad touching the disc. However, when you replace the pads, you have to push the caliper back out, usually about an inch. What I think is that with new pads, the caliper is pushed out and is now touching the wheel.

Spacers should solve the problem, or if you want to test the theory, put your old pads back on temporarily. But depending on how tightly you put the wheel on, you may have damaged the disc, the wheel, or the caliper itself. Take it easy when you've put the spacers on and take it for a drive, just in case.

Edit: Danny beat me to it! :)

nazams

yes dannyc87 there are after market wheels. I did abit of my own diy today took the new disk out and put the old ones in to see and the disk are abiy small from the middle were the bolts go, there about 4cm in then the old ones. I think get some spacers might do the job and cheapest way LOL!!!!!!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.