Brake experts/Techs, help please :0)

Bunglebonce

Bunglebonce
Jan 21, 2005
The Blackcountry
Afternoon all,

Just need to pick your brains!

Changed my 70k old front discs and pads on my FR tdi yesterday to standard after market brembos.

First thing I noticed was there was no brake pad wear sensor either side! (why?)

Second thing I noticed was that despite the nearside pads being worn evenly, the offside inner was down to the metal, with the outer still having a lot left on it:confused:

Now I know a sticking calliper can cause this so I cleaned the guide pins well, and dabbed copper slip on the contact points of of the pad metalwork.

The pistons seemed fine as they went in without a fight so I don't think it was an issue with them sticking.

Went out today in the car and did about an 8 mile round trip with normal braking for a sunday in suburbia, hittin say, 50 mph a couple of times but for no more than a few minutes.

Got home and touched offside disk - ouch! Not glowing by any means but couldn't keep finger pressed on it.
Did same with nearside - hot but could just about tolerate temperature.

Now am I getting paranoid here??? :blink:
I've never touched them before so don't know what to compare it with.

Do you think given the temp difference, there is still an issue with the offside calliper, or are they just bedding in?

Should I have greased up guide pins with silicone grease rather than leave them dry?

Should I change them for new ones?

What else could it be?

Should I just forget it and go down the pub?

Sorry for all the questions and cheers in advance ;)

B

BoostHard

Complete Plonker
Nov 25, 2012
At Work.......
www.Passionford.com
Where did you get the pads?

I fitted pads to my dads Mk4 golf a few days ago, Got the pads from Euro car.
The 1st set they gave me didn't have wear indicators on so I returned them and got the correct ones.

There may be a few types listed for your car.
If you don't fit pads with wear indicators and your car has the wiring you will most likely get a warning light up on the dash.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
If the car doesn;t have a wire for wear indicators, just cut it off the pad. As said above, theres usually a few options.

It definitely sounds like something it sticking on one side. I can only be the piston or the slider pins. I'd remove the slider pins and check that they're straight, then clean out the slider and pin and regrease to make sure its moving freely.

If that doesn't sort it, its the piston, and your probably looking at a new caliper or a rebuild

Bunglebonce

Bunglebonce
Jan 21, 2005
The Blackcountry
If the car doesn;t have a wire for wear indicators, just cut it off the pad. As said above, theres usually a few options.

It definitely sounds like something it sticking on one side. I can only be the piston or the slider pins. I'd remove the slider pins and check that they're straight, then clean out the slider and pin and regrease to make sure its moving freely.

If that doesn't sort it, its the piston, and your probably looking at a new caliper or a rebuild

Cheers for that.

Think I'll swap the pins first and see what happens after they've bedded in a bit more.

Is this a common fault with this type of calliper?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise