Brake lights on when handbrake is engaged

exmgman

Nov 30, 2009
Does anybody else find it annoying that when the electric handbrake is engaged the brake lights are on.
Very annoying for the following vehicles when stopped at the lights.
Mechanical handbrakes don't do this so why do the electric type do?
Can this be disabled so that the brake lights only operate when the footbrake is used?

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
I agree.
Also if you have had a 'HOT' stop then clamping the discs hard could warp them.

I read and tried the answer. just flick the parking brake button to put the auto parking brake on , icon glows RED and brake lights go out.

They are the same on most cars with the auto system except some Beemers and Most mercs.
Like a 'Mechanical' switch instead of pressure so, foot off brake pedal Brake lights go out.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Does anybody else find it annoying that when the electric handbrake is engaged the brake lights are on.
Very annoying for the following vehicles when stopped at the lights.
Mechanical handbrakes don't do this so why do the electric type do?
Can this be disabled so that the brake lights only operate when the footbrake is used?
Depends which you mean. If you have the handbrake on and the icon is red on your dash, its only the rear brakes (ie handbrake). If its green its auto hill hold and all the brakes are on, hence the brake lights are on.

If you come to a stop after a big stop. Put the car into neutral then use the switch to put the hand brake on proper. this will then allow you to disengage the front brakes by lifting your foot off the pedal.

Chrispy

Oct 6, 2018
As above, sounds like Auto Hold rather than the parking brake.

With a DSG you can come to a stop and apply the EPB without shifting out of drive. Then when you touch the accelerator the drive will re-engage (engine will start if it was stopped) and the park brake will release. I usually do it this way rather than using auto hold, as auto hold annoys me when manoeuvring!

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
As above, sounds like Auto Hold rather than the parking brake.

With a DSG you can come to a stop and apply the EPB without shifting out of drive. Then when you touch the accelerator the drive will re-engage (engine will start if it was stopped) and the park brake will release. I usually do it this way rather than using auto hold, as auto hold annoys me when manoeuvring!
True, I've not quite worded/explained it 100%. If you've done a heavy stop, dropping it into neutral and letting it roll a little will move the hot pad and disc stopping spot away from each other for cooling before applying the parking brake. Not so much an issue really on normal brakes, but the larger Brembos with the Brembo Pads are known to be problematic.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.