Brake pad advice please - need to order today!

Phil K

Here's your sign
Oct 18, 2004
Surrey darling...
My LCR's low pad warning light came on last Friday and they are very low - to the point of not being happy about using the car for any distance!

I have used the search and it seems that the Ferrodo 2500's are the ones to go for but I have been told I can get Textar pads for the Brembo's for £17.12 + delivery and VAT!

So, are Textar pads any good? Is anyone using them? Or should I just go get the Ferrodo's?

Quick replies would be ideal if possible as I'd like to get these ordered at lunch time - TIA :)

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
I have used the search and it seems that the Ferrodo 2500's are the ones to go for but I have been told I can get Textar pads for the Brembo's for £17.12 + delivery and VAT!

So, are Textar pads any good? Is anyone using them? Or should I just go get the Ferrodo's?

Quick replies would be ideal if possible as I'd like to get these ordered at lunch time - TIA :)

Mate ive never heard of them, but c'mmon, what do you think !

Phil K

Here's your sign
Oct 18, 2004
Surrey darling...
I know what you're saying mate but from a bit of research I understand Textar are OEM suppliers for BMW and Mercedes so, can't really be that bad can they? GSF sell them as well...

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
I know what you're saying mate but from a bit of research I understand Textar are OEM suppliers for BMW and Mercedes so, can't really be that bad can they? GSF sell them as well...

well it could be the find of the century though, doubt it but fingers crossed. all depends if they fit the brembo.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org

I'm sure you will be telling yourself you 'got a bargain' as you try and do an emergency stop from 90mph on the motorway.

Is it really an area you want to skimp?

They are easy to fit yourself though, which is one way to save a few £££'s

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
just because some people on here haven't heard of them dont be put off buying them its your money you do what you like

Its like trends on here most of the time somepeople get something say its good and then everyones saying they are the best things in the world

if people dont go out trying new stuff out for them selves than no one would every find out about these stuff

i was the same with tyres everyone was saying nothing was better than goodyears only a month ago then a few people including me decided to go away from the crowd and try a cheeper tyre the falkens where everyone else would say they'll just be crap cos of the price and woo and behold now everyone loves them

My opinion is at that price its not really going to hurt that much to just try them as long as they are designed for the car/ brakes

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
Never heard of them, but they do have a very comprehensive website...

"TMD Friction Group is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of brake friction materials in the original equipment market of the automotive and brake industry. Its product portfolio comprises disc brake pads and drum brake linings for passenger cars and commercial vehicles together with brake pads for racing and friction materials for industry. TMD Friction also supplies the global aftermarket with its TEXTAR, PAGID, MINTEX, DON, COBREQ and COSID brands. With manufacturing facilities in Germany and other European countries, the USA, Brazil, Mexico, China, Japan and Malaysia, TMD Friction generates a turnover of 660 million euros and employs 4500 people worldwide."

For the price, I'd say they're worth a shot!

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
well mabe not but what actully justifies the price of pads?

the prices are always based on competition
if someone can afford to drop their price of something to beat competition thats doesn't mean it has to be ****

well i've got falkens on now and for value for money they can not be beaten
they are equal to f1's for a hell of a lot less

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
dont get me wrong they may be a pile of crap but as long as thay are designed for the application needed they can not be dangerous and at that price if your on a buget you can not afford not to at least try them.

AndyCole

Looks like we are all doing the same, looking at the price and they are on Ebay, then "Googling" Textar and coming up with a good website full of info!!
As said could be the find of the century (wonder if they would do a group buy - tenner a set!!!)
I went for DS2500's and Motul RBF600 guaranteed stopping everytime at any speed

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
I just can't understand the logic of putting £17 brake pads on an £11,000 car which contains me, my family and friends :shrug:

Falken tyres are OK but these seem the equivelent of Remoulds

i wonder how much the OEM ones cost SEAT? i bet they paid circa 17 quid a set,they just charge the punter 5x that when they need new ones.
though i would rather someone else try them first.
i remember the time i tried ebc green stuff for the first time ,waaaay back before we had SCN. they stayed on the car for enough time for me to buy pagids blues "fr" pads.
once bitten etc etc

Phil K

Here's your sign
Oct 18, 2004
Surrey darling...
I agree that I don't want to trust my life, the car or my families lives (not sure I have that in the right order :lol: ) to carp brakes - but surely the have to be made to certain tollerances to be sold in the UK and if some of the larger German manufacturers are using them as OEM pads then they must be alright!?!

I have also found this from another website:

Textar

Textar is one of the leading OEM suppliers to the German new car market. I have personally been selling Textar brake pads for 28 years now. They have proven to have the overall best formulation of combined qualities to retain the OEM stopping power designed in to your car originally! The Textar pads we sell are commonly known as the "Yellow Box Textar Pads" in some Internet communities. The compound used in the formulation of these pads is a slight bit different than the compound in the Textar or other brand OEM pads, sold at the dealers. The compound is a "European Compound" and has a longer wear life and a noticeable decrease in the amount of brake dust. They also retain the smooth but firm stopping power found in the standard OEM compound, virtually eliminating the brake squeal found in many "aftermarket" brake pads. They are not dustless, and do not last forever, but have proven to be the most popular pad in most Mercedes applications.

I have spoken to the supplier and need to get them ordered by 2pm if I want them delivered tomorrow... just don't know what to do...

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
Well at that price phill i would just go with it seen as your in desperate need of the pads as your are low.

Then if your not entirely happy with the performance get some better ones either when you can afford to or when ever you like

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
go for it,its best to take the first few hundred miles steady anyway ,so you should be able to tell f they are **** or not.
also alot depends on your driving style,do you give it maximum attack everywhere you go?

Phil K

Here's your sign
Oct 18, 2004
Surrey darling...
Well after several phone calls to Bill at Badger 5, Kev at The Phirm and Julian at Balance Motorsport I've gone and ordered the DS2500's for a very reasonable £109.90 (inc. VAT and delivery) and should have them tomorrow!

Would have bought from Bill but he couldn't get them to me before Wednesday and I need them ASAP really!

Not heard of Balance Motorsport before and only found them through a google search but would really recommend them if anyone is looking for an alternative supplier in the South East (based in W Sussex) We had a long chat about various set ups and I learnt a thing or 2 about discs and pads in general that I wasn't aware of... all in all very good advice and good prices helped make my mind up :)

Their website can be found here if anyone is interested: http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk//main.asp

Looking forward to fitting these tomorrow night and being able to enjoy driving again now!

Thanks for all the replies and advice in this thread by the way... I'd still be interested to know if anyone has experience of the Textar pads as for that price it wouldn't really matter if they don't last long providing they stop well!