Brake pad combos

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Hi.

I am running Ebc Ultimax discks front and rear on my remapped Lcr. I have ds2500 pads on the front and Pagid on the rear.

The rear disks keep getting rubbed and my garage has suggested better pads.

For those running ds pads on the front what pads do you have on the rear?

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
It turns out (found out yesterday) that when I bought my car in March it already had EBC Red-Stuff pads front and rear, and EBC Turbo Groove discs. I've replaced the front pads with DS2500s but I'm leaving the rear as they are. Apart from being noisy in the old configuration, I actually really liked it

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
reds are an option for rears (I would'nt reccommend them for fronts over DS2500's tho)

Pagid are Original fitment std pads, so any rubbing is caliper related not pad imho.. They can tend to seize up over time - VAG rear calipers have never been the greatest in this respect

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
I am keeping my DS's oh yes. Just wanted to find some good rear pads which won't upset the braking balance. He had a look at the calipers and the hydraulic pistons and said they retract ok and suggested the pads. I think he wants it sorted as much as me as he is ordering my 3rd set of disks now due to this. This set of disks and the last set he is giving me under warrenty so all I have to do is pay for pads.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I am keeping my DS's oh yes. Just wanted to find some good rear pads which won't upset the braking balance. He had a look at the calipers and the hydraulic pistons and said they retract ok and suggested the pads. I think he wants it sorted as much as me as he is ordering my 3rd set of disks now due to this. This set of disks and the last set he is giving me under warrenty so all I have to do is pay for pads.

its not the hydraulics which goes wrong on these its the internal handbrake mech.
pads cant drag on the disks alone.... calipers push them onto the disk face

Is it dragging that you describe?
redstuff for rears are about £60/set as a guide, but if its calipers, then pad change wont help.
regards
bill

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
This is what Willie said front my other thread:

The brake pads have hydraulic pistons which force these onto the disc to stop the car when you pressure the brake pedal.
If these are not free to move they gradually retract less and less and eventually they don't retract and are constantly in contact with the disc. This is what it sounds like is causing your problem.
Try going for a short drive (10 mins) and after the drive feel your alloys to see if any of them are hot.
If they are you could have the above problem.

To fix this the callipers need stripped off and freed up/greased

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
And this is what the symptoms are:

I am getting a groaning sound sometimes when doing traffic driving. My local garage have given me new disks and it's still doing it. It is on the rear driverside disk and from looking at the disks the disk has been worn away to a slant on the outside and the inside is worn aswell now. The wear lines are approx 3mm wide the disks are ebc ultimax.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
He checked those as I thought it was. I even spoke to him in the phone and relaid what you said Bill. He said the calipers were fine. I am confused lol.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
how can pads push themselves onto the disks tho?

can your mechanic/garage explain that one?

I'm buggered if I can

slider pins worn and/or caliper beginning to seize on the handbrake mech
did they release the hand brake cables off the calipers completely?

:shrug:

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
I had this a year ago mate. exact symptoms you say. i needed a new caliper in the end as it was seized.
Bill is right in what he says.
Now every 6 months i check clean and lube the rear calipers especially the handbrake arm on the back and cables.

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
Sounds like a sticky slider to me. They get bit rusty from time to time when rubbers break and need to be freed off. When they stick they hold th pads to the disc causing premature and unnecessary wear. I'd check that first, along with the handbrake cables and fittings giving them a good clean and grease then if it keeps doing it, the only real thing left is changing the calipers.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
I don't know exactly what he did and didn't do as we went shopping lol.
I am getting new disks and pads for 35 quid but, if this is the calipers what do I need to replace? The whole thing or just the broken bit. Is it adviseable to change both of the rears or just the dodgy one?
Where can I get the parts I need and how much would I be looking to pay?

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
if your thinking of changing them, im using (mintex extreme pads) very good for front and rear, i think there as good as the brembo s.... and half the price...

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
I am going with red stuff for the rears mate.
Bill any ideas for my above pose re new callipers etc.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The only reason for getting new callipers is if they are broken in some way.
From what your telling us they don't sound broken.
If you want to replace the callipers then go for it.
Just now all that your doing is destroying pads and discs.

Your callipers need to be taken off of the car, proved to be free moving and not worn (all parts) then refitted.
Have you checked your alloy to see if that one is getting hotter than the rest?

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Ok so the disks and pads have been ordered via the garage. I agree with post on this thread that if left at that this will just happen again. However I am not mech minded and the guy at the garage is adamant that the updated pads will sort it. Would it be better to just get a new caliper and carrier as I wouldn't know if the caliper looked normal or not if I were to investigate.