Brake pad not making full contact on rotor.

xxjay247xx

Jul 14, 2012
Wales
Hi, the brake on the front passenger side is currently not making full contact with the rotor on my car and is leaving a rust ring on the top, I've also noticed that its also scratching 2 circles into the disk that you can see in the images below.

I have recently done a full brake service on the car a couple of months ago due to my front driver side calliper sticking on, so I replaced everything (disks, pads and a new driver side calliper) however a month down the line my passenger side calliper stuck on so I had to replace that also,
I purchased new pads in thinking that they would have been damaged because of this, however I was told by a very trusty Audi mechanic that the pads where fine, give them a quick rub down and put back on with the new calliper, and all was good.

does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? could the pads actually be knackered, as braking is spot on, no pulling or vibrating, but as you can see something isn't right.. :(

2je8l5v.jpg
rh6gdi.jpg

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Not sure what the cause could be but mine also have the score marks on the discs on both sides, but again like you say the braking is fine.

I was going to change the discs and pads too soon.

xxjay247xx

Jul 14, 2012
Wales
Not sure what the cause could be but mine also have the score marks on the discs on both sides, but again like you say the braking is fine.

I was going to change the discs and pads too soon.

Just baffles me, as everything is brand new and everything feels like its working correctly! :/

craigo14

Sep 28, 2014
Make sure you carrier that the brake pads sit it it properly clean and greased.

craigo14

Sep 28, 2014
Its not an mot issue that why it passed. As I said clean the carrier properly with a wire brush and file, grease and you should be fine

craigo14

Sep 28, 2014
Light score marks isnt a problem, if the pads isnt allowed to move freely it wont contact the disc properly. I use a brush and file everytime.

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Grease the slider pins and the edges of the pads. Sometimes pads need to be filed at the very edge so they can move in the carrier. That's why people are saying grease carrier.

Mar 22, 2012
South east
When you said they gave the pad a rub down and put it back in, what does that mean? To me it looks like the pad isn't in contact with the out part of the disc, if they 'rubbed' down the pad could this be why. I.e the outer part of the pad is thinner than the inner and so not in contact with the disc.

Last edited:

xxjay247xx

Jul 14, 2012
Wales
They only slightly sanded the pad, they also did this to the other side and that's perfectly fine, my guess is the pad is knackered from being stuck on

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.