brake pedal travel

rallynut

Dec 25, 2008
Just wondering how the rest of your cars brake pedal feels is there a good pedal all the way from the top or is the first inch or so a little soft then brakes come in?

Mine is the latter and i had it bled last year with minimum results,

Im just wondering perhaps they didnt bleed the Servo

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Mine was on from the top, then I had my fluid changed and it moved down a bit, made it more progressive if you know what I mean.

Fish

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
I find that after a fluid/pad change it's immediate, but then after a while it's about an inch before can feel the brakes doing anything.

That's usually been the same pattern for every car I've driven, so I guess it's normal.

Scotty2hotty

The futures bright...
Mar 30, 2010
Newcastle
I also find that my brakes are effective after a good inch of travel when pressure is applied, and then onwards improving progressively the more pressure that is applied. Also the affectiveness is reduced once the brakes have been frequently used when thrashed abit.

However I feel my front pads will need replacing in the next 3 months...they were more effective with less clutch pedal travel when I first bought the car 9 months ago

rallynut

Dec 25, 2008
think i will get them bled again and make sure the servo is also bled and go from there,

shaunk8

May 30, 2010
morpeth
bleed all the brakes then you must bleed the master cylinder,there is a bleed nipple near the end on top,8mm i think,get someone to press the pedal and open the nipple with a socket,once the pedal goes down tighten the nipple up again

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Drive something japanese and then you'll realise that an inch of travel at the start is actually a good thing! My other half's Almera has the most severe brakes that operate at the tiniest pressure. They are fantastic if you want to do an emergency stop but day to day driving becomes a meaningless stream of either hitting the windscreen or being strangled by the seatbelts. And it's only a 1.5 so its 'stop' is so much more than its 'go'.