Brake upgrade for Bocanegra - Updated 12/01/10

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
Hey peeps, Loving my Bocanegra, but one thing i wish I had was the sport brakes. Now I'm regretting not having that, I think the standard brakes are good but not good enough, I need more stopping power. Anyone know the options I have, I would like an upgrade to Brembo's or equivalent but I'd prefer A Stealer to sort it and not to void my warranty. Any thoughts appreciated

ED

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
You should be able to fit the 312mm Audi TT Setup which is very common MOD on the MK4 Ibiza! or if you can find some second hand just fit the SEAT Sport brakes from MK4 Ibiza Cupra which im preety sure is the same setup as the Upgrade

The only bit of warranty you will void is the brakes themselves , So SEAT just wont cover your brakes

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Techically they can void you entire warranty, but thats unlikely.hey could however void bush replacement if they think its down to more braking force etc, but again unlikely.

The racing brake upgrade from your dealer is about £700+ VAT for the calipers (which come with pads) and the discs.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Techically they can void you entire warranty, but thats unlikely.hey could however void bush replacement if they think its down to more braking force etc, but again unlikely.

The racing brake upgrade from your dealer is about £700+ VAT for the calipers (which come with pads) and the discs.

They havent voided my warranty and ive got alot more mods than Brakes so yeh its very unlikely

I read on Seat site that the SS brake upgrade is like 1k+ for Cupra and BOC

If its just the Red Calipers your after better trying to source a 2nd Hand set and buy new uprated discs n pads

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
I'll have to go see my stealer and get some info from them. I don't want second hand really, I just really want more stopping force, after feeling the force of the Brembo upgrade AndySpencer's had on his Leon Mk2, I want that kind of stopping power. The car goes like s**t off a shovel, but it's the braking to stop me that I need.

If Techie is correct £700 + VAT is a great price, VAT being at 15% till end of year. But of course I need to add the labour costs.

I'll have to explore the options, I preferably want it before the New Year.

ED

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I priced them up a few weeks back but they only had one set in stock at seat at the time. Price was £301 each plus VAT for the calipers, discs iirc were £65 each plus VAT. I'm not sure if the standard lines are suitable, couldn't see any listed for the racing brake upgrade.

The £1150 factory option also includes a 17" spare alloy wheel and tyre.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I priced them up a few weeks back but they only had one set in stock at seat at the time. Price was £301 each plus VAT for the calipers, discs iirc were £65 each plus VAT. I'm not sure if the standard lines are suitable, couldn't see any listed for the racing brake upgrade.

The £1150 factory option also includes a 17" spare alloy wheel and tyre.

Yep your right forgot bout the Alloys and Spare

312MM brakes are great got them on me new Leon when it arrives , ive currently got 256mm Pooo ones on me ibiza

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
Yep your right forgot bout the Alloys and Spare

312MM brakes are great got them on me new Leon when it arrives , ive currently got 256mm Pooo ones on me ibiza
Sorry to disappoint, but the cars fitted with 'Race Brakes' have a different hub as the caliper attaches in a totally different way :( ( i have the dealer printout for the front suspension showing 2 hubs)

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Sorry to disappoint, but the cars fitted with 'Race Brakes' have a different hub as the caliper attaches in a totally different way :( ( i have the dealer printout for the front suspension showing 2 hubs)

Aint Dissapointing me Leons already got them

I know theres different hubs on the MK4 , so the MK5 is the same

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs

Not different to the Bocanegra, Cupra or FR, just different to the models fitted with the FSIII brakes such as the 1.4 and 1.6. Exactly the same as the MK4 set up (which mechanically the MK5 is) where the FSIII has an integeral carrier.

The Boca/Cupra/FR is fitted with two part 288mm brakes which are the same as the 312mm brakes, so all you need are the carriers and the discs to upgrade to 312mm spec.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
The only other option is for some mintex 1144's pads (very very good but they can squeal) or Ferodo DS pads and combine them with the braided lines and tarox disks.

It will bite better and make a decent improvement but not as much of a difference as a larger disk upgrade.

153291136049c3e452e01553.11428120.jpg

ferodo-ds-performance.jpg

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
cheese grater G88 tarox disks...
short life for the pads which are unfortunate to rub against them.. (ohh err)

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
Brakes have been upgraded

-------------------------Update on my Brakes----------------------------

Peeps, I have had the brakes upgraded, courtesy of Techie. Yep, Techie has sourced the parts and fit my new bigger better brakes. I felt a difference on the way home, once bedded in and my wheel is back from refurb, I'll be able to enjoy them properly.

Pics:
Before

S6000334.jpg

The parts

Brakes.jpg

Result

DSC00041.jpg

Cheers Ross, sure I'll enjoy them.

ED

Last edited:

andyspencer

Eat My Soot
May 19, 2008
Birmingham
Speak of the devil and he shall appear lol ;) ... but v nice m8 :D ill have a nosey when i see ye next.
I can see you gettin your moneys worth out of em on them welsh B roads :D

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
A few from today..

120120101841.jpg

120120101842.jpg

120120101843.jpg

120120101846.jpg

Very easy to fit and look awesome. Also managed to sort out a rattle I noticed on road test so a worthwhile trip I think Ed eh?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.