Brakes, pedal play and handbrake advice please?

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
Hope you guys can help asap.
The footbrake has about an inch or more play/travel before it does anything.
The handbrake comes up about 10 clicks before it starts to work.

I think this maybe a problem with the adjusters on the rear drum brakes not ratcheting up correctly?
Anyone know of this as a problem on Ibiza Mk4s with drum brakes?

The Ibiza's done about 8000 miles and is nearly 1 year old.

Thanks for any help
Thanks guys
Geoff. :shrug:

dontnoanything

dontnoanything
Jul 19, 2005
gondor
its a vw thing the adjussters work better when you adjust them yourself. if your dealer is any good ask them to adjust the shoes during service but they may charge you. in the service schedule it doesnt mention adjusting rear shoes at all. but the skoda service schedule tells you to clean and adjust rear brakes every service so no charge

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.

It went in on Thursday for a service the footbrake is far better now and only about 3 clicks on the handbrake too.
Maybe they just adjusted up the handbrake which of cause would bring one of the shoes out in the drum so also make the pedal better who knows unless i strip it down myself as it does not look touched.
lol I know how bad adjusters are on VW drums my mk1 Golf i have to adjust them up manual as they are not a great design maybe i just expected them to have improved over time, guess not lol..

Last edited:

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
Sorry for the late late late late update.

First time took it in for the 1st year service.
Only paid for service no extra cost for the brakes,
They adjusted up the rear brakes they said and so the pedal came right back up and the handbrake went to only a few clicks too was great. Like new.

Well WAS great for all of 2 WEEKS when the adjustment fell off!!

Took it back in last Tuesday as there was a couple of other warrenty work to do that they had to order parts for after the service, TOOK THEM LONG ENOUGH TO GET THE PARTS!!!

So get a passenger mirror replaced to help stop the high pitched wind noise.
Changed a reostat to help stop the lights dimming as you turn the wheel while traveling along the road (people thought we were flashing lights at them)

Anyway they readjusted the rear brakes again at the same time as fitting the above warrenty claim parts. Just hope the adjustment stays on this time!
No cost for any of this work.

Geoff.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Ballie said:
Changed a reostat to help stop the lights dimming as you turn the wheel while traveling along the road (people thought we were flashing lights at them)
I notice this too, mainly when manouevring during parking. When I steer, the lights dim. I'd assumed it was the current draw of the electric power steering dimming the lights.

Has changing this rheostat made any difference, and do you know where/what rheostat it was ?

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
Yes its made a difference but ours still dim when manoueving but the lights are now brighter too but don't dim if your driving along the road. Ours dimmed quite abit and if you were following another car along a road you could see them dim abit when turning corners.

I have no idea what they changed but they seemed to know what it was straight away when we said what the problem was it maybe on the bill.
The power drain of elec power steering will always make the lights dim alittle but ours was a bit much.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.