Brands Hatch, BTCC Finals Day - Sun Sept 21st 2008

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
As much as i hate to admit it ( and just had much the same chat with DK) this was a real 'moment' and i can only assume that those of you who have been supporting this from the start felt it even more strongly than the rest of us.

You could see ALL of the SEAT crew and drivers and all you could hear was the sound of horns ( air horns and car horns ) saluting them.

I think you had to be there, to realise how emotional it was. Over the last 3 years we really have put everything into supporting SeatSport UK, so much so that it has become an obsession, and to realise it was coming to an end definitly bought a tear to my eye, I had to be on my own to witness it, and thats why i stood by my car, otherwise, it could of gone horribly wrong:cry:

But life goes on, onwards and upwards.....

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
I wish i could have made more BTCC meets over the last couple of year, but other commitments have dictated otherwise.

Last year at doddington park in the rain i had a good laugh, and got to meet a few members all be it briefly and as stated there is a real good vibe between members at meets

have to say it brings an end to a chapter in BTCC for me, i have not supported a team as much as SEAT and i am not sure that i will do again for a while at least

A big thanks to everyone involved in the organising of these meets, from SEAT to supporting the forum right through the guys here who put in a lot of work

i am embaressed to say i did not realise this was happening until saturday, and it truely is the end of an era and reading all the posts does get to you

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I think you had to be there, to realise how emotional it was. Over the last 3 years we really have put everything into supporting SeatSport UK, so much so that it has become an obsession, and to realise it was coming to an end definitly bought a tear to my eye, I had to be on my own to witness it, and thats why i stood by my car, otherwise, it could of gone horribly wrong:cry:

It was a day to remember that's for sure. I didn't realise i'd actually met you until CupraMVR pointed it out - i know cars and i know forum usernames but i've not much clue who the real faces of people are. You all made the day most enjoyable.

It might be the end of of SeatSport for this season but i'm sure it's not the end of the marque in the BTCC - i'm also sure that after sundays success you've just grown your campsite by a few members, i'm certainly going to make the effort to come to more of the BTCC stuff even if it's just as a day visitor.

However in 2009 there's some independant SEAT drivers who could use the support of the Barmy Army. We'll have to wait and see what the new season brings but i'm defintitely up for BTCC - that's the 3rd one i've been to ( 1st with SCN) and it's confirmed for me that I prefer BTCC style events to shows.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
On a different note, Plato still has 2 years of his contract remaining ( or thereabouts) you don't sign a contract for that long without having a wider plan. I am quite sure the beancounters will have done their maths and would have foreseen 'this'. I am quite sure there's a larger plan at work behind the scenes. Sure they're not racing as SEATSPORT next season ..... who knows!

It's going to be interesting to see what pans out over the coming months and where Plato goes, he's far from talentless and i'm sure another team would snap him up in an instant if he's free - can't see him being retained just to do drivers ed track sessions!

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Well, what can one say - An end of an Era.

Having followed SEAT's involvement in British Motorsport since 2003 starting with the SCC and then the BTCC, its been a great 5 years of racing and immensly enjoyable 5 years at that be it watching it on the box or at the circuits themselves.

My Favorite SEAT BTCC race win has to be 2004's season opener at Thruxton where Plato played the the 10 place grid reversal system from race 1 and finished 8th (iirc) giving him 2nd row grid slot for race 2. Come the race jason got to the front within the lap but it wasnt long before Muller in the all dominating Astra Coupe caught up, I was expecting it to end in tears given the history, but we got a cracker of a race and I was actually on the edge of my seat cheering away and went wild when he got the win:D

Great turn out as usual on Sunday, even though the results wernt forthcoming on track the atmosphere amongst us made the day. Many thanks to those who signed the 'gift' it certainly went down well, as well as the Barmy Army putting spot on catering during the day! All the team coming out at the end of the year was a special moment especially for most of us thats virtually followed the program itself right from the beggining.

On more personal note I almost welled up at the BBMF flypast, my dad would of loved that had he been there, and it brightened up what been a less than fantastic 7 days of late...

Every beginning has an end as they say, and its on to the next chapter.

See y'all next year cheering on a SEAT of some description:)

AusCupra

Sep 22, 2008
Wexford
On a different note, Plato still has 2 years of his contract remaining ( or thereabouts) you don't sign a contract for that long without having a wider plan. I am quite sure the beancounters will have done their maths and would have foreseen 'this'. I am quite sure there's a larger plan at work behind the scenes. Sure they're not racing as SEATSPORT next season ..... who knows!

It's going to be interesting to see what pans out over the coming months and where Plato goes, he's far from talentless and i'm sure another team would snap him up in an instant if he's free - can't see him being retained just to do drivers ed track sessions!

If you know the lads who own Northern South then they'll have more than just one thing up their sleve for next year!!!! Seat or no Seat, it's just typical of a manufacturer... That goes for all of them, just like to pull the pin in any form of motorsport as and when it suits the bean counters!!!

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
i wonder what it must have sounded like from the other side?

I was standing waiting on the championship podium happening and a very big crowd was round there all, making quite a noise just by talking. I could hear the airhorns and car horns over the top of that and knew what it was right away! :D

So I imagine the SSUK people heard it even better. :)

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
To be fair to Scott, he is an employee of SEAT not Northern South. SEAT have pulled out of Motorsport, if your hoping to support an independent entry into BTCC then you should direct it at Northern South.

If Northern South are still interested in the BTCC, they would need a good backer to start with. Money in motorsport as in most things, sadly does not grow on trees.

As other manufacturers are rumoured to be entering the sport, Northern South and or the people in and around that team will be looking towards other opportunities for their careers no doubt. I would expect Ian and Grant at NS will be working hard on securing new business opportunities for next year.

Hopefully an independent SEAT entry will still compete next season, but lots of factors need to be addressed before that would be a reality. Simply emailing the team as fans won't really help that become a reality, unless someone has a boat load of cash to throw their way.

I sincerely hope that Team CVR and others get to the grid next season and keep the SEAT interest alive. SCN would be proud to continue supporting and reporting on the independents progress in next seasons racing.

So are we talking about a non-starter of an idea? Are we talking about tucking that that idea in bed and reading it a nice story?:(

Oh well...it was an exciting idea while it had it's life. But such is life. An Independent NorthernSouth is probably a laughable idea anyway given what you said.

I hope wherever Jase, DT and NothernSouth go they will atleast always fondly remember the BTCC even tho they will not be in the BTCC.

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
So are we talking about a non-starter of an idea? Are we talking about tucking that that idea in bed and reading it a nice story?:(

Oh well...it was an exciting idea while it had it's life. But such is life. An Independent NorthernSouth is probably a laughable idea anyway given what you said.

I hope wherever Jase, DT and NothernSouth go they will atleast always fondly remember the BTCC even tho they will not be in the BTCC.

Nope you obviously didn't understand it. You seemed to think that by essentially door stopping SEAT (emailing Scott) , that Northern South can stay in the BTCC. It doesn't work like that.

Northern South are a business, they had a business opportunity the past 6 years or so with SEAT to run their Cupra Championship and then this grew into the Touring Car squad.

That venture has now come to an end, because for whatever reason SEAT wish to refocus where they spend their marketing budget. That is no different to any other manufacturer when all is said and done. Nothing is forever, commercial decisions are made every day in companies around the globe its how the world keeps on turning and earning.

However SEAT no longer being in motorsport doesn't stop NS looking for new business ventures. Whether that be with a new manufacturer outfit or even as an independent team in the BTCC. It also means they may look outside of the BTCC to other motorsport opportunities. As i said the bosses at NS namely Ian and Grant, will no doubt already be working hard to make things happen for their company and employees.

SEAT did the honourable thing and made their announcement before the final round of the season. This gives NS its employees, as well as Plato and Turner time to look at other opportunities.

It's not a laughable idea, its quite a good possibility they can run as an independent entry. But a lot needs putting in place to make it reality, your suggestion of emailing SEAT or even NS with what essentially are demands isn't helpful or positive really.

That's the point I was making.

Last edited:

ArosaRacer

Wee man returns in a fL mk2 cupra
Aug 28, 2005
Bayview, Kent
sometimes you have to accept its game over, Like i have but there will always be chance to support both Jason and Darren even if they arnt piloting a SEAT

Timmbo71

Quit your jibber jabber!!
Sep 27, 2006
Leatherhead

I totally agree.. Even tho i have been a member of SCN for a few years, i have always liked the BTCCs.
And being there for the last 3 races wasnt fun! Im gutted. And still cant believe it. :cry::cry::cry:!

Well, lets wait and see what the following months bring.

wacko_jacko

May 15, 2008
Haywards Heath
well my neighbour set up a formula renault team and spent 1.5 million on it but very hard to get drivers who can pay the fee so it can't run atm so btcc i wud imagine is even more

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Well, SEAT Cupra Championship was costed as follows:

Cars: £40k + VAT each
Est. Running Costs per year: £30-60k per car

Could probably easily double the running costs for a BTCC car (triple if you're racing near Matt Neal :cartman:) and the BTCC spec cars are probably a good £10k more - so realistically looking at least at £150k per car per season - somehow I don't think that kind of money is in the SCN kitty :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise