Brembo's: Inner Pads wear quicker?

Hey,

My GF phoned me up in a panic thinking the car was going to explode, on getting home I took it for a drive and it sounded like the pads were at the metal! squealing as I'm driving.

Pulled up, had a look and there looks to be approx 2-3mm on the outer pads? Probably at the point if not past for replacing them, but didn't think they should make the noise they are? Then I happened to remember, but for all the searching I've done I can't find an answer:

Do the inner pads wear quicker?

Without removing the wheel I can't really get a good look at the inner pad, and I'm just ordering new ones regardless, but to put my mind at rest I'd like to know?

Another point is, there's a wear sensor (only on the NS IIRC?) but this never came up on the dash? I've not had the car too long so looking to learn :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
hey mate,

my brembos seem to wear quite evenly on inner and outer, i think the only way to be sure is to just whip those wheels off and have a look.

maybe a stone or some other crap has gotten trapped between the pad and disc? more likely you are correct in replacing anyway though.

if you do find that just 1 of the pads has worn down you might have a sticky piston, so sort that before fitting the new pads or the same thing will happen again.

and there is just 1 wear indicator and its on the passenger side, i think by default it can be fitted to inner or outer but outer is the norm, not entirely sure on that point though tbh

are they brembo pads fitted? many people fit other makes, eg ferrodo which dont have wear indicator and i did think that the inners can wear a little quicker.

maybe they do marginally i always replace mine ahead of time so havent noticed, i would be surprised by a 2 - 3 mm difference though.

ye the pad wear indicator comes built into the pad, so will only be applicable if you pad has one, a quick look through the alloy will tell you, there will be a wire running from the pad up onto the hub (runs out of/in front of the inspection bit, towards the front of the car)

Oem and mintex have the wire, ferrodos dont, other than that :confused:

The Terminator

Hey,

My GF phoned me up in a panic thinking the car was going to explode, on getting home I took it for a drive and it sounded like the pads were at the metal! squealing as I'm driving.

Pulled up, had a look and there looks to be approx 2-3mm on the outer pads? Probably at the point if not past for replacing them, but didn't think they should make the noise they are? Then I happened to remember, but for all the searching I've done I can't find an answer:

Do the inner pads wear quicker?

Without removing the wheel I can't really get a good look at the inner pad, and I'm just ordering new ones regardless, but to put my mind at rest I'd like to know?

Another point is, there's a wear sensor (only on the NS IIRC?) but this never came up on the dash? I've not had the car too long so looking to learn :D

Cheers!

what you may find is that your caliper seals are shot and the piston is not returning to base (fully releasing the pad from the disc) causing it to sta closed and wear out whilst driving. this is potentially dangerous as the heat that will be generating through your discs could cause them to shatter/crack.

have you check the reservoir level whilst stationary?

Thanks for the replies.

Just price up Brembo's from the dealer: 1ML698151 £148.55+vat. They mentioned that they can also supply Mintex as a "cheaper alternative" £36+vat

I've just gone for the mintex A) because he can get them today and B) because there's a slight lip on the discs (still less than a 1p piece) so I'll get the best out of them and then replace discs+pads at a later date.

--------------

I did have a look at the receipt history of the car, there was a later pad change done by a garage so I'm guessing they were changed for non-geuine parts. So explains why the sensor never went off. good to know the Mintex come with the sensor though!

Deleted member 43482

The inner pad always seems to wear slightly quicker, I got the impression it was due to the outer pad not running as hot due to the airflow over it, causing it to wear more slowly.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
I have noticed the same with the inners wearing quicker. Are the mintex really that cheap or are they for a different model as IMO i have never heard a dealer undersell anything.

I have noticed the same with the inners wearing quicker. Are the mintex really that cheap or are they for a different model as IMO i have never heard a dealer undersell anything.

ye i had mintex before upgrading discs and pads.

im running grooved crn (ebc) discs and ferrodo pads all round and there is a big improvement, but mintex stop the car just fine and last not bad.

local motorfactors will do you a set for 323mm brembos at just under 40 (27 something for the rears)

bilas1986

mine wore out on inner 1st to got redstuff and ultimax discs awesome braking now

Yep - It was a guy in the service dept. he gulped when the price came up for the OEM and said they can get the Mintex for the price I mentioned above! Good good I thought!

Think it'll be the Ultimax and Ferodo combination I'll go for when the discs are spent. Although in my searches I've seen good ebay deals on the CRN (Plain EBC re-machined AFAIK) discs and Ferodo pads...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.