(Broken Car) I've had a great day today...

pics004.jpg

pics003.jpg

pics001.jpg

Or not...

Basically, it wouldn't start. I rang Green Flag who diagnosed the problem as being the starter motor which had pulled off its mount. Apparently various things were in places they shouldn't have been and he couldn't rectify the problem there and then.

Only when we moved the car did we notice a nice puddle of oil underneath...

The recovery receipt thing read, "Starter motor pulled out of mount, clutch cable and water hoses in way of starter, stopping re-assembly. Major oil leak from unknown source."

Not sure. The recovery guy said that the starter motor doesn't even look like the right one for my car! Apparently the screws holding it in have sheared off.

I'm more worried about the ominous looking oil spill to be honest.

Mckellar

not so good mate. Have you seen where the oils coming from yet?

if you need to sell parts to pay for a repair bill - first dibs on the bra ;) lol

Jun 28, 2001
The recovery receipt thing read, "Starter motor pulled out of mount, clutch cable and water hoses in way of starter, stopping re-assembly. Major oil leak from unknown source."

sounds a bit dodgy to me as you can do a starter on one of those in 10-15 minutes even at the side of the road..
and pulled out of its mount????????????????

An update:

My mechanic mate came to my house this morning to assess the damage I've done.

What happened is that the bolts holding the starter motor in have seemingly fallen out, which then snapped the front top engine mount bracket. The engine dropped, and the oil filter hit the floor (probably a few times) which is causing the massive loss of oil. Also, something has knackered up my CV boot.

So I need:

New starter motor
2x starter motor bolts
Oil filter (I'm servicing it anyway)
CV boot kit (n/s inner)
Engine mount cradle/bracket

I'm also going to replace the cambelt and all aux belts as well. Need to get all the bits tomorrow and then my mate will fit them this week.

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
An update:

My mechanic mate came to my house this morning to assess the damage I've done.

What happened is that the bolts holding the starter motor in have seemingly fallen out, which then snapped the front top engine mount bracket. The engine dropped, and the oil filter hit the floor (probably a few times) which is causing the massive loss of oil. Also, something has knackered up my CV boot.

So I need:

New starter motor
2x starter motor bolts
Oil filter (I'm servicing it anyway)
CV boot kit (n/s inner)
Engine mount cradle/bracket

I'm also going to replace the cambelt and all aux belts as well. Need to get all the bits tomorrow and then my mate will fit them this week.

Geez sorry to hear that Alex, not good when these things happen, know what you mean about a bad start! went to start mine Sat and just wouldn't catch, took out the plugs no 2 was swimming in oil :doh: should only be the rocker gasket (fingers crossed).
Also noticed the pink floater in the Brake fluid Res was poking out and won't stay down so that needs doing to not bank breaking but annoying as I could have had more stuff of Greg!

Fingers crossed it's all ok!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise