Broken front grille - bumper off?

zippyprorider

Feeling the power!!!
Dec 26, 2005
Hey guys hit a pheasant and it smashed a hole in my lower front grill and smashed the number plate quick question how much is that grill and is it a bumper off job? Its a facelift fr by the way! Thanks! Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
na just yank it mate (obviously carefully :)) i'll show ya......

Damage1-1.jpg

as you can see it all clips onto little lugs iirc correctly around 10 of the little blighters, if your nervous about pulling it off, unscrew the fog lamp take the bulb out and then you have got good access to the back then just cut the nearest clips (on the grill) so you can pull it out a little way and make it easier to remove.

o and the grill is only like £20 from the stealers

Last edited:

Gib

That's a real shame when you hit something.

I've just bought a facelift FR and noticed the front grille is a bit worse for wear, and the o/side fog-light grille doesn't sit quite flush (pushed in a little)... is the stealers the only option or does anyone know a good website where I can order a replacement?

Is it really as easy as just yanking it out?? Nice, I may do it myself then, any ideas on the fog light grille not sitting flush..? Maybe just a strong pull to get it to clip back in place perhaps?

Thanks for any reply :)

Gib

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
if the fog lamp grill isnt sitting flush that means the bumper is slightly out of shape. To get it in you'll have to unscrew the one screw in the top sort of push the bumper up (if it is out of shape and push in as far as it will go, if it isnt going flush then there is something wrong and will probably need to be investigated.

i've just had a look at mine again and i will have to back track on what i said earlier in that you cant gain access to the main grill via the fog lamp as there is a barrier in the way, (i was only able to access it thanks to the damage). To remove just clip the corners so its loose, then the rest should come easily or if you want just clip um all. If your bumpers damaged then i wouldnt recommend yanking it as you could warp it further

Gib

Bumber out of place....

That does not sound good... is it possible that the grille surrounding the fog lamp is what is damaged or does your experience lead you to believe otherwise? I had a good look at the car and the bumper seemed fine, fitted flush in all angles, it was just the front grille that is a bit messy, along with the fog light grille that doesn't sit flush (pushed in, nearest corner to the centre)...

I'm starting to wonder if i've just bought a lemon that some numpty has bashed around a little. I'll investigate when i actually get the car but fingers crossed I'm just being a little paranoid!

Thanks for the advice again phil.

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
I've been meaning to get a new grill for around 2 month now lmao.

I hit 3 pheasants at once! I'm surprised the thing held up so well! It's hardly damaged, just cracked in two places and I have what looks similar to a stone chip near the fog lamp. Not too bad, I was expecting way, way worse.

I got told to cut the centre of the old grille out, reach in and pull on the clips. This is meant to be easier if you don't mind destroying the old grille. The the new one just clips straight back in place.
[B)]

Gib

I'm a bit of a cosmetic perfectionist if i'm honest, one or two little cracks is enough to annoy me enough to get it replaced and bin the old grille.

3 Pheasants Cal?? I hope you made soup out of them as price for hitting your beloved motor!!

Gib

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
Bumber out of place....

That does not sound good... is it possible that the grille surrounding the fog lamp is what is damaged or does your experience lead you to believe otherwise? I had a good look at the car and the bumper seemed fine, fitted flush in all angles, it was just the front grille that is a bit messy, along with the fog light grille that doesn't sit flush (pushed in, nearest corner to the centre)...

I'm starting to wonder if i've just bought a lemon that some numpty has bashed around a little. I'll investigate when i actually get the car but fingers crossed I'm just being a little paranoid!

Thanks for the advice again phil.

lol I'm sure you haven't, its just the design and possibly the location, could have hit road kill.....

I ran into the back of a mondeo and the shape at contact point warped a bit, i had to take the bumper off, reshape it all, and now its perfect again. when i wash the car later on i'll get some pics of the fog lamp section and how it all fits together.

Gib

Pics would be very helpful, thanks alot.

When I do actually pick it up i'll be going over it with a fine toothed comb, that's for sure!

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
I'm a bit of a cosmetic perfectionist if i'm honest, one or two little cracks is enough to annoy me enough to get it replaced and bin the old grille.

3 Pheasants Cal?? I hope you made soup out of them as price for hitting your beloved motor!!

Gib

Yeah, I'm like that. I just wish I had the money to fix everything!

There are so many stone chips on the front of my car :( some quite deep ones too! I just haven't the money to get a front end respray. Most of them were from when a Land Rover ran itself into the ditch on a country road (I think he fell asleep at the wheel), it kicked up loads of crap and stones at my car and now I have to suffer for it. I got around 6 stone chips on my bonnet and 2 on my windscreen. I really wasn't happy.

So many people have said I should have picked them up. I would of if I had some bags to lay them on haha! I don't want blood and guts all over my boot carpet :blink: There was plenty of that on the bonnet and headlights haha! I actually managed to remove a full head!

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.