Broken window 'lift mechanism' issue

Leon Lover

Morning all,

I recently had a problem with the window dropping down inside the door and it would not come back up again, it sounded like the motor was whirring when I pressed the button but nothing happened, the glass wasn't even visible from through the crack.

I took it back to the Seat dealer, its a 52-plate so covered by a used car warranty. The informed me that the problem wasn't covered by the warranty and robbed me for £170. When I looked through the warranty booklet, it says all motors are covered.

So my question is, is the 'lift mechanism' a motor and should be covered by the warranty? When I asked the garage what this 'lift mechanism' was the guy sarcastically replied "The mechanism that lifts the window". Helpful or what...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lewis

dozza.13

PS3 Tag - Dozza1979
Jun 30, 2006
Grimsby
This is a common prob with just about all VAG vehicles, happened on my mates golf, anothermates golf gti, my mates dad's toledo, summin to do with the runners falling apart so window drops down and refuses to go back up! Its not the motor thats the problem! Try doin a search on it im sure you will see alot of results! :(

Leon Lover

Its a 52 plate, so has a used warranty rather than a new warranty. Even though I got it from a Seat dealership because its a used car warranty it only covers specific items.. the window lift mechanism apparently isn't covered.
Just wondered if it was actually a motor, which would have been covered. Thanks all for your replies.

Ah well, just have to give it up as £170 lost! :cry:

Lewis

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Unfortunately, the warranty company covered their ass with that one!

This is why I don't trust extended/aftermarket warranties one bit - any way they can get out of paying, they will. My car went out of warranty last week and now I put £30 a month into an online bank account. If anything happens, I can use the money saved to pay for it.

kris_tdi

Mar 26, 2007
its the plastic clips which break, mine did the sme a few months back, £170 isnt bad as the part costs nearly £80 and its a complete b1tch to fit.

Hudson

May 15, 2007
Bilston.
Yep this has just happend to my girl friends golf the window regulators are made of plastic and eventually snap off. The single regulators are about 40 notes for the parts or you in the golfs case you can buy the complete panel for about 100 notes. Fitting is a pain in the ring...

This problem was apparently fixed in the the mk5 golfs and audis by replacing the plastic part for metal ones... why havent seat followed suit.

H

Leon Lover

Ah well, guess I'll have to swallow it this time then :(

F:censored:ing Seat...

Thanks all for your replies!

Lewis

Jochen

Used car warranty will only cover the motor and not the regulator cables, you would think they would as it is a known problem....

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
One side on my sisters 1.2 has broken. Do I have to buy a whole new mechanism for it? And also the runners appear to be rivetted onto the metal door card, how do you remove these?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.