Btcc 2009!

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
of course, and is the rumour of RAC running 3 cars still flying around

It's more than a rumour as they do have 3 cars which have been out testing over the past few weeks. They just need someone to fill it. Not cheap though, but surprisingly cheaper than the Tempus Chevrolet 2nd car, which is apparantly £400k for the season. :blink:

Dave Pinkney is in at Dynamics, just hasn't been officially confirmed. Although it was in the Sun the other week in an article about Shedden, saying he needed to find more funds to compete alongside Pinkney. He's done the bulk of the testing and is believed to be bankrolling the development of the car.

Andywarr

Feb 27, 2008
It's more than a rumour as they do have 3 cars which have been out testing over the past few weeks. They just need someone to fill it. Not cheap though, but surprisingly cheaper than the Tempus Chevrolet 2nd car, which is apparantly £400k for the season. :blink:

Dave Pinkney is in at Dynamics, just hasn't been officially confirmed. Although it was in the Sun the other week in an article about Shedden, saying he needed to find more funds to compete alongside Pinkney. He's done the bulk of the testing and is believed to be bankrolling the development of the car.

as i say, its still rumour of 3 then, if they haven't got a 3rd driver!!!

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
as i say, its still rumour of 3 then, if they haven't got a 3rd driver!!!

It's more possible now though as the 3rd car is actually in existance. It wasn't before. Mind you there's plenty of empty cars waiting for drivers. Strange really, a few years back there were more drivers than cars, now it's the opposite.

There are a lot more cars than people think - WSR have had a third car since Croft last year I believe. It's not the cars or drivers that are in short supply - it's money!

There's a lot of press about how much it costs to run a touring car and they are for the most part SOOOOOO way out it's embarrassing. Running a touring car needs a very minimum of 6 people - if they're paid, the £150K reported by some doesn't even cover a wage package for these people.

How many miles can a race transporter travel on thin air? 10 races x all over the UK x £1/mile = the maths doesn't add up!

I could go on but I'll never get in print again so I should keep my opinions to myself on irresponsible reporting!
:whistle:

CORRECTION: You can run a touring car for £150K if you own the car, all the pit equipment, don't test, have a small lease on your premises, everyone works for free and you camp at the circuits! - Not quite but you see my point!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
There are a lot more cars than people think - WSR have had a third car since Croft last year I believe.

This is true. They had the shell and kit with other bits on reserve in the event of a third driver signing up, but it was never built up until the winter and was shook down at Thruxton the other week. :)

There's a lot of press about how much it costs to run a touring car and they are for the most part SOOOOOO way out it's embarrassing. Running a touring car needs a very minimum of 6 people - if they're paid, the £150K reported by some doesn't even cover a wage package for these people.

CORRECTION: You can run a touring car for £150K if you own the car, all the pit equipment, don't test, have a small lease on your premises, everyone works for free and you camp at the circuits! - Not quite but you see my point!

I remember Mark Proctor did the 2005 season for £50k in the Astra Coupe, which was well-publicised by TOCA at the time, to attract more independent teams and drivers. But that really was the bare minimum number of team members and equipment, which didn't allow much for improving the car, especially as they had a big shunt at Croft that year.

This is true. They had the shell and kit with other bits on reserve in the event of a third driver signing up, but it was never built up until the winter and was shook down at Thruxton the other week. :)

I remember Mark Proctor did the 2005 season for £50k in the Astra Coupe, which was well-publicised by TOCA at the time, to attract more independent teams and drivers. But that really was the bare minimum number of team members and equipment, which didn't allow much for improving the car, especially as they had a big shunt at Croft that year.

I guess it's like statistics...you can make the numbers add up any way you wish really - if you add up the totally unavoidable costs like entry fees, fuel, tyres, disks, pads and other consumables, they add up to more than £50k.

Last edited:

Tim@Advent

The reason for more cars than drivers is the current climate for raising budgets is simply non existant! As Hunnie says you can't really run a car on 100k - you probably could but its scrimping and saving and calling in all the favours - you're unlikely ever to get on the pace with it! There are plenty of guys there to drive the cars but few with the budget - national motorsport is going to be facing that issue for the next couple of season at least.

You need to be looking at 250k+ to get an S2000 car on the pace for a season - less perhaps for a BTC car, but not a lot. You're likely to do 3-4 sets of rubber per round inc testing which is 3 grand, a set of pads £200 for the front £150 for the rears, lets say you're going to do 300 litres of fuel per weekend at £2.50 a litre, Brake disks if you change the bells too (otherwise the floating disk mounts stretch) are a grand, staff well you've got to be looking at 4 on at least £150 a day, engines, gearboxes etc... It quickly mounts up!

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
John George has announced he's running in 2009, but it'll be close to the wire if he gets his new car ready for the media day, shouldn't think that there are too many BTC spec Integras left

http://www.teamjag.co.uk/news.aspx

The only other car left was the Dave Pinkney car from 2006 which has been for sale/hire ever since. Mind you, Martyn Bell bought two racecars from the Jordans, plus a spare shell. Maybe TH Motorsport have bought that and used the salvaged parts to rebuild it.

The reason for more cars than drivers is the current climate for raising budgets is simply non existant! As Hunnie says you can't really run a car on 100k - you probably could but its scrimping and saving and calling in all the favours - you're unlikely ever to get on the pace with it! There are plenty of guys there to drive the cars but few with the budget - national motorsport is going to be facing that issue for the next couple of season at least.

You need to be looking at 250k+ to get an S2000 car on the pace for a season - less perhaps for a BTC car, but not a lot. You're likely to do 3-4 sets of rubber per round inc testing which is 3 grand, a set of pads £200 for the front £150 for the rears, lets say you're going to do 300 litres of fuel per weekend at £2.50 a litre, Brake disks if you change the bells too (otherwise the floating disk mounts stretch) are a grand, staff well you've got to be looking at 4 on at least £150 a day, engines, gearboxes etc... It quickly mounts up!

It's supposed to be more cost effective after the Super Touring days, but it's not really is it? I remember reading that Matt Neal's Nissan went through about £3k's worth of door mirrors a season back then, I shudder to think what the essentials like tyres, brakes and fuel cost then.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.