BTCC - Thruxton Sunday - The Big Day

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Thuxton is probably the weakest circuit for the Leon as it lacks outright speed due to its shape, thanks for designing a poor aerodynamic car SEAT, you cost yourselves the title!!!

Partially true, but we saw in both races earlier today, that the superior chassis on the Leon looked after its tyres for longer and JP was able to come back at them.

Hatchbacks are poor aerodynamically anyway, even the old shape Leon would be just as bad.

Other circuits the Leon has dominated due to its great handling package, its been more even than we thought it would be. If the S2000D regs don't stifle too much power then the diesels could give the Leon the edge it needs in 2008.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Gutted. Being an ex SEAT owner (5 of them), I have always followed them in the BTCC.

Why Matt felt the need to openly wave them by is beyond me. Its just gratuitous. Not even subtle, and shows his outright hate for Plato. I was praying for Turner to get close enough to give Neal a friendly nudge but the Leon just has no straight line poke against the other works cars.

Anyway, that said, Jason did us proud, leading all year as he did. Considering the state he's in he did a great job today, so well done SEAT, a pretty good year over all. Maybe next year will bring that elusive title.

tony19b

Apr 12, 2007
Lancashire
Quite touching that Giovanardi said he would rather have shared the championship with Plato- what a sportsman!

And at the opposite end of the scale you have the utterly obnoxious Matt Neal.

Gio should consider moving to SEAT next year if he is expected to have Neal as a new team mate at Vauxhall.

But overall, another fantastic BTCC season!

orca

Aug 30, 2004
N Kent
www.bdmlr.org.uk
Jps start was poor. No denying that BUT Neil was not part of the championship hunt and spoiled a thrilling finish. shame really guess he cannot help being a bit of a pratt though. after all up til now the only driving job he seems to have had was working for his daddy. If he is going to VX it will be intresting to see if they pander to him and what he does about it. Another Alonsogate maybe!

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Just made a little update to the forum header. The team have tried their absolute hardest all year, and they deserve a little recognition from us all.

Great year and they appreciate all your support more than you realise.

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
A top effort all season from SEAT and JP, just a shame the weeks events and the finale being at Thruxton turned the advantage to Gio; but as already said, he's a decent bloke, so rather him than Neal anyday. Let's see what they can do next year, as the drivers title has, and will continue to be a long time coming :(

Once again, I'll re-iterate my comment about pretty much every race this year:

"Matt Neal and Tom Chilton - Exclusive Members of the **** Club"

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
come on folks, lets keep the thread on subject. We all saw it, no point dwelling on it. I think we just calm it down now, congratulate the team for a fantastic season and move on to 2008.

andycupra

status subject to change
shame the race ended as it did. I hope Jordon is ok, looked potentially nasty but it wasnt the fastest part of the circuit..
well done and congrats to Giovarnardi, but good luck seat next year!

one think they perhaps need to look at is number of cars a team can run. They should be commited to a number for the season rather than running more on tracks that suit them.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
I think in a way they are as iirc only two cars can score points if they run three cars, but admittedly there's nothing that stops them using the third car as a mobile roadblock.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Trouble is cost, logistics, team personnel. The championship only allows two cars to score manufacturers points at any round. So your taking a car that though it can be helpful to you in a race scenario. Won't gain you any extra points.

They ran 3 cars in 2005 as we know, and my opinion was they spread themselves a bit too thin. Not enough experienced team personnel to run 3 cars competively.

I'm sure its an option they must consider, but cost factors and whether it damages the teams overall effectiveness during a season, must also be serious considerations.

CupraDaft

Jun 8, 2002
Scotland
Visit site
Felt so incredibly sorry for Jason at the end.

What fabulous sportsmanship between Gio and Jason though. Gio seems such a nice genuine guy.

As for Neal, just disgraceful.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Nice header Z

I've just about chilled myself out now... steered clear of MST & the forum earlier to not miss the racing.

I was on the edge of my seat all the way today.

Jason did an amazing job today, irrespective of burns. Giovanardi was clearly gracious over racing with his equal. it was the racing weekend of the year.

Matt Neal did nothing illegal, but very unsportsmanlike. You get remembered more for that, than 'real' racing - and I think it will bite him in the future.

As regards to next year.... JP & Tom in S2000D Leon's (if the rules don't change) vs Gio & Menu in the V*uxhalls

SEAT did put on a hell of a show, and this was easily the 'best' year in the past 3 - and deserved winners of the team award

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Yep great sportsmanship all season between them, a real respect.

Great pic here sums this up. :)

main.php

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.