Btcc

140SPORT

Aug 22, 2007
Just found this should be interesting.

SEAT to switch to diesel power

SEAT have announced that they will be switching to diesel power this year in their bid to win the British Touring Car Championship.

After months of speculation about their future plans, SEAT motorsport boss Scott Dennis revealed at the Autosport International Show on Thursday that the team's Leon BTCC cars will run with the company's TDI-engines in 2008.

SEAT ran the diesel power units for the first time in the World Touring Car Championship last year and came close to winning the championship, with only a mechanical failure costing Yvan Muller the crown in Macau.

"The diesel engine that made such a big impact in the WTCC will run in the BTCC with both cars," said Dennis. "There are a number of changes we have to make to the car.

"It is not just a simple case of slotting the engine in though. We have to start from scratch, but hopefully we will have our engines sooner rather than later so we can start testing in earnest."

Jason Plato, who finished runner-up in the BTCC title chase last year, said he was excited about the move to diesel power.

"I think it can perform," he explained. "It is something to look forward to for us. It is the first time that myself and (SEAT teammate) Darren (Turner) will be driving a diesel race car, which will be interesting. I am sure it will need a different style and I am very excited about it."

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
I can see the scene now.

''Plato rounds the last corner OH NO he's stopped !! What is it OH NO the DPF light is on and he can't get it to the dealers until Tuesday, and here comes poor Darren Turner, leading until the footwell filled with water and he couldnt find the accelerator pedal''

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
I can see the scene now.

''Plato rounds the last corner OH NO he's stopped !! What is it OH NO the DPF light is on and he can't get it to the dealers until Tuesday, and here comes poor Darren Turner, leading until the footwell filled with water and he couldnt find the accelerator pedal''

lol, I was just thinking that as I read the first post!

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
We managed to grab a word with DT at the Autosport show , and asked him if he was looking forward to getting behind the wheel of the diesel and when will it be.

His reply was obviously yes, but is not sure when that will be, from the sounds of it, there wont be much time for practising before race day is upon us.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.