Build week for new Cupra 290's

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
ha ha! It just looked neater with the pads and no screw holes. Just irritating that they didn't check, but maybe I should have mentioned how I wanted it doing. Lesson learned and don't assume they'll put it back exactly as it was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CUPRAB

Sep 24, 2016
You still happy with the colour ? I'm still waiting for mine in same colour but 5dr. Can't wait. Just hope I'll get half decent mpg...... 30 to 35 will be good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
4637d7e7574b6e0195988708ee3445c3.jpg
03f04030cdd9a10d9329a043515d3af5.jpg
b0256ea47fd1b9275400787eb9cf4f8f.jpg
afceb81c429bd77a074c6735d3023889.jpg
eed259c205299e68da52b934baa13474.jpg

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
I am still really pleased with the colour. These were taken just before the accident. I wanted the utilitarian stealth estate look. It actually looks meaner when filthy, but my brain won't let me leave it like that for long!

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
You'll get anything from 20/22mpg if giving it the beans, and 33/34 if taking it steady. I have had it up to 40 on the motorway taking it ultra steady and below 70 mph in Comfort. Normally, I'm around 29/30 on the 22 mile commute across country with a few blasts past slower cars. I'm pleased with that for the performance. I have it in Sport mode more often than not, and knock it in D instead of S to drop the revs and keep the exhaust noise. Comfort is dead quiet, as you'll find out soon enough. Great motors mate, you won't regret it.

Jonno02

Apr 8, 2015
To those that have had a car delivered by Wessex:

Were you on Alphabet finance? I have a delivery slip to note the drivers name/any damage etc, but it doesn't say if I should keep it, send it to Alphabet or give it to the driver?

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
I am still really pleased with the colour. These were taken just before the accident. I wanted the utilitarian stealth estate look. It actually looks meaner when filthy, but my brain won't let me leave it like that for long!

I saw you in Dordon on Saturday late afternoon, your car looked filthy :)

CUPRAB

Sep 24, 2016
Cheers Ronnie, sure I'll be grinning like a Cheshire Cat!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

lazybill

Jul 10, 2016
I have it in Sport mode more often than not, and knock it in D instead of S to drop the revs and keep the exhaust noise.

What do you mean knock it into D instead of S? My first DSG car and i've not had a chance to read the manual yet so this could be a silly question :D

Smiddy

Sep 19, 2016
Somerset, UK
What do you mean knock it into D instead of S? My first DSG car and i've not had a chance to read the manual yet so this could be a silly question :D

When you put the car in sport or cupra mode it puts the DSG in to sport mode as well so holds the gears longer and keeps the revs up. You can also put the DSG in to sport mode by pulling the shifter down while its in drive (just push it down and let go) you will see the gear indicator in the top right of the drivers info screen change to S and the gear number i.e S2

If you then pull it again it goes back to normal drive mode. You can do the same if you want to briefly use the paddles on the steering wheel and then put it back to normal auto. Change gear with the paddles and when you are done tap the shifter down.

lazybill

Jul 10, 2016
When you put the car in sport or cupra mode it puts the DSG in to sport mode as well so holds the gears longer and keeps the revs up. You can also put the DSG in to sport mode by pulling the shifter down while its in drive (just push it down and let go) you will see the gear indicator in the top right of the drivers info screen change to S and the gear number i.e S2

If you then pull it again it goes back to normal drive mode. You can do the same if you want to briefly use the paddles on the steering wheel and then put it back to normal auto. Change gear with the paddles and when you are done tap the shifter down.

Well that has just blown my mind :rofl: Thanks for the tips

Mickle

May 25, 2016

Finally took delivery of mine earlier, can anyone beat 6 and a half months of waiting? :p

After a few minutes in it I was wondering about the drive & gearbox modes, I tried it in cupra quickly which put the gearbox into S and it was holding the gears really high.
Will have to get back to testing after work!

Last edited:

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
I saw you in Dordon on Saturday late afternoon, your car looked filthy :)

Ha ha! Yes you did and yes it was! Were you hiding in a bush or something? We went to pick up our new puppy from Warton. An early Christmas present for our girls. I'm puppy sitting this very moment, instead of cleaning the Leon!

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
Ha ha! Yes you did and yes it was! Were you hiding in a bush or something? We went to pick up our new puppy from Warton. An early Christmas present for our girls. I'm puppy sitting this very moment, instead of cleaning the Leon!

I was going up Fairfields Hill out of Polesworth but I was in my Audi, I noticed the Cupra front and wheels then the ML66 I was sure i'd seen it somewhere :)

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth

Smiddy pretty much has explained it better than I would have done!So, I put the DCC into Sport and you have the S1, 2, 3, 4 etc displayed top right in the instrument cluster. If you then pull back on the shifter, you will notice the revs drop and it go into D1, 2, 3, 4 etc. I've found that you then have the sportier suspension setting and noise, but with Comfort economy. Repeat the process to get back into S1, 2, 3 etc. I normally save Cupra as the full attack mode for the odd blat, otherwise it drinks the juice and it's a bit too intense for using on our roads round here. You can, of course, have it in Comfort on the DCC, and then pull the shifter into sport, but I think you then have the softer suspension and steering..........then there's the paddles. So many things to play with with the DSG!

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
Or put it in economy engine mode and get the E setting on the gearbox and it coasts every time you let off, very weird feeling

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
How do you set that one Jon? havent seen / tried it yet :)

Dave

In the individual profile settings you select engine as economy, the D1,2,3 etc on the screen then changes to E1,2, so on and when you let off the gas its like you've dipped the clutch in a manual, I tried it for the crack but then changed it back shortly after

Smiddy

Sep 19, 2016
Somerset, UK
I'll give that one a go later when i pick up the missus from work.

Do you guys find that the stop start kicks in a bit too soon as you come to stop? The first time it kicks in seems to wait until you stop but after that the car seems to switch off just before you come to a complete stop sometimes.

I switch it off most of the time but there are about 6 sets of lights to get across town and when its busy you can be waiting a little while which is when i leave it on.

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
I'll give that one a go later when i pick up the missus from work.

Do you guys find that the stop start kicks in a bit too soon as you come to stop? The first time it kicks in seems to wait until you stop but after that the car seems to switch off just before you come to a complete stop sometimes.

I switch it off most of the time but there are about 6 sets of lights to get across town and when its busy you can be waiting a little while which is when i leave it on.

I do, I nearly hit a parked car when I first had it because as I coasted up to wait for an oncoming car to pass the parked on on my side it cut off and the steering lost the assistance and I literally had to slam on the brakes as i would have clipped the corner.

The above no matter how many times I re read it sounds like I'm a pleb that cant drive but I know what I meant haha and the Audi doesn't cut off half as quick as this system

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.