Bulb Blown indicator..?

Chris20vT

Touch the pipe...!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2006
Norwich
I've been thinking for months about getting some kind of LED tailights for my Leon, but spent ages reading about needing resistors because of the low voltage they draw etc. etc.

So today I suddenly thought that if I take out a bulb, start the car switch on the lights will I get a warning that tells me a bulb is blown....So I did and nothing came up on the dashboard. Can I fit LED's with no hassle do people think?

Two questions, firstly does my car have the 'bulb blown' warning light? Secondly is this a fair test because the bulb is completely removed from the light cradle/cluster, does it still need to be in the slot BUT be blown to register?

Chris20vT

Touch the pipe...!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2006
Norwich
So if you take a tailight out, start the car, turn on the lights, will the Engine Management Light come on?

I tried this and no warning symbols came on, but technically the light cluster/cradle isn't drawing any voltage/power because nothing is in it, what I need is a blown bulb or a replacement LED bulb to conclude my thoughts. My old man has LED bulbs in his 1970's MGB, old car, so no engine light etc. I shall pay him a visit soon see if his fit and what the results might be!!

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
You can fit LED stop lights and tail lights no problem - just make sure get the right variant.

Where it goes wrong is LED indicators. The indicator relay relies on the bulb to flash at the right speed. If an indicator bulb is missing / broken, then the indicators flash at double speed. If you really want to fit LED indicators, then you will need resistor loads.

The Mk1 Leon isn't clever enough to have a bulb failure warning lamp.

Simon.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise