bulb on high level brakelight

jay-bob 25

Jun 18, 2004
hi just had my cupra tdi 20000 mile service and on the invoice it said attention bulb on high level brake light out ,it looks not such an easy job has anyone replaced a bulb , it looks like there are quite a few bulbs in the light ,it must take some time else the stealers would have replaced it . :confused: being as there are a few bulbs in the light is it best to just leave it alone?

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
just thought id say... i thought they are were LEDs? :confused:

Last edited:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Vicky M said:
nah mate, 501 wedge bulbs, same as sidelights.

They should be LED's (gettin' them next) :funk:

reason y i thought they were LEDs is cos they are well bright and also they look like LEDs from the outside!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
well when my bootlock issue is finally solved - IE the part available, my car is also going to be in to have the high-level brake light checked out as it seems full of condensation/water... not something I am happy about. I also thought it was LED's.... so if its bulbs I think a change could be in order.

However, i thought they were sealed units? I just cant see how you get in to change a bulb - seeing as all other lights have access panels to change bulbs AND the manual tells you how to do it... yet manual doesnt mention this light at all? :confused: As bulbs can be blown surely they should be serviceable/accessible by the "common man" lol

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
now looking here:

The high level brake light is 1 part and 1 part only. All other lights are listed in ETKA as housing and show the bulbs - but this one doesnt. I recon its a sealed unit and is replaced in one go - i dont think we can change bulbs in them....?

rearlights.jpg

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
this would also make sense as the dealer didnt just change it and then charge you for it - the whole unit is £40+....

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Getgaff said:
High level brake light defo uses a strip of LEDS. The unit is sealed, so the only viable option is to replace the whole thing.

thats wat i thopught!

i mean look at this close up pic of my 3rd brake light...

3rdbrakelight.jpg

looks like LEDS to me!

james :)

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
good - glad to sort that out then. The bezza one might be different, but on the Leon its a sealed unit.
Glad i was right too :)

not even sure now about the Beeza, but i can't be bothered to go outside in the rain and have a look!!!!!!! :(

Definately 501's in the peugeot, coz i changed them for blue LED's, only to find out they don't show through a red filter. Still waitin' for RED ones.

Humble pie tastes better than chocolate Brownies, That's for sure!! :bleh:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.