Bulb upgrade

hardyj

Snake
Jun 6, 2005
Southampton
Hi everyone,

Looking to upgrade all the front lights and quite like the sound of the OSRAM Silverstar bulbs. Quite a few of you rate them as one of the best brands.

Have checked out www.powerbulbs.co.uk and found the following:

Osram Silverstar Driving Lights (H1) - £15.95
Osram Silverstar Headlights (H7) - £19.95
Osram Super Foglights (H3) - £14.50
Philips Blue Vision W5W sidelight (501/W5W) - £FREE

Would also like to replace my indicator bulbs with silver look bulbs. I also noticed these on the powerbulbs website that look like they will work quite well:

Philips Silver Vision PY21W - £13.45

Would these be the correct type of indicator needed for the leon?

Does this sound a good price to you guys? Also would help me make my mind easier if saw some pics if anyone has already fitted some.

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
hardy click on search and type in powerbulbs, i had a post somewhere regarding exaclty what youre asking, i bought the whole lot also but soon after i replaced the dipped beam with hid lights and the difference was stonking, rather than pay15-20 quid on slightly brighter bulbs, think about overhaulling them for around 70-100 quid, you wont look back.
On a side note, the silver indicators arnt totally silver mine have a bit of an orange tinge, its worth shopping around locally for them, as for the rest of the set, use powerbulbs as they have a pretty quick delivery time.

schnipps

Apr 17, 2006
have a look on ebay, they're much cheaper.
I bought a full set H7 + H1 + W501's for bout £13 :D

So did i 'leadinglamps' do them for 13 quid delivered, they are a bitch to fit mind expecially getting the passenger sidelight out and the clips that hold the main beams into the wiring are stupidly tight. Well worthit though just dont drop a bulb into your engine bay liek me :rolleyes:

wardy2602

Apr 22, 2006
Stoke-On-Trent
was looking to put hid bulbs in my motor
only thing is arnt they illegal
unless factory fitted im not sure but i swear ive read as it wont pass an mot
because you wont have headlight washers and self leverling bulbs both of which are requirements for hid bulbs.
plus if the police pull ya they wont like it doh.

if im wrong then sound and ill look to doing it myself but it all sounds a bit doggy to me.

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
The current MoT doesn't look at whether you have HID or not - so you'll pass an MoT.

However the Highways Agency and the Police will pull you for it. £60 fine and you can't drive your car away until they are replaced.

There is only one Leon HID kit that is legal. It comes with new reflectors, headlight washers and a self levelling kit. It's froma Dutch company but is about £700 though - which is why most people go down the illegal route.

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Osram Silverstars are the business. Best £ 35 improvement you can make to your lighting. You wont be disappointed.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
No, its that they are self levelling, and must have the headlamp washers (although I'm not quite sure why tbh).

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hi mate, looked at the Osrams but decided to go down the philips bluevision route. Both makes are good so go for it, you won't be disappointed ;)

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
The current MoT doesn't look at whether you have HID or not - so you'll pass an MoT.

However the Highways Agency and the Police will pull you for it. £60 fine and you can't drive your car away until they are replaced.

There is only one Leon HID kit that is legal. It comes with new reflectors, headlight washers and a self levelling kit. It's froma Dutch company but is about £700 though - which is why most people go down the illegal route.

Highways agency can't do a fiddling thing - only the police can do that. I find BMW, Mercedes, Audi et al just as bright as mine and they're legal. Self levelling is too slow so you end up facing a constant 'bouncing' beam on back roads, that's the only time i get flashed so i'm not convinced self levelling is any good for anything other than towing.

hardyj

Snake
Jun 6, 2005
Southampton
Thanks for all your comments guys. I went for the the osram silverstars in the end and i am certainly not dissapointed. They are twice as good as the original bulbs. Nice crisp white light. Well impressed.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members