Bulbs?!

jakeyhutch

Toledo TSI style advanced
Sep 11, 2015
Bessacarr
Hi everyone, does anyone know what bulbs are in the drl's on the Toledo as I'm wanting to put some led's in there to give it a crisper look. I also want to change the main and dipped beam but I believe they are h7s? Cheers all

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
Hi everyone, does anyone know what bulbs are in the drl's on the Toledo as I'm wanting to put some led's in there to give it a crisper look. I also want to change the main and dipped beam but I believe they are h7s? Cheers all

I changed my dipped to Osram Nighbreakers a while ago. An absolute pig to change them. Lost my temper and got someone else to do them in the end.

simon1304

Mar 2, 2016
Cambs
I changed my dipped to Osram Nighbreakers a while ago. An absolute pig to change them. Lost my temper and got someone else to do them in the end.

New here (from Briskoda as about to swap Rapid for a Toledo) so apologies in advance if this doesn't appear correctly.

The Rapid (and the Octavia I believe) have pop-out panels in the front wheel arch liners which give better access to the dipped beam bulbs. Still a fiddly job because you can't really see what you are doing but much easier than trying to change them from under the bonnet. Just wondering if the Toledo also has these panels - given that that it's basically the same car as a Rapid.

As far as DRLs are concerned the Rapid is a pain because it has combined main beam/drl bulbs (H15?). The DRLs on the Toledo appear to be separate bulbs - probably just P21W standard bulbs - like reversing lights?

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
New here (from Briskoda as about to swap Rapid for a Toledo) so apologies in advance if this doesn't appear correctly.

The Rapid (and the Octavia I believe) have pop-out panels in the front wheel arch liners which give better access to the dipped beam bulbs. Still a fiddly job because you can't really see what you are doing but much easier than trying to change them from under the bonnet. Just wondering if the Toledo also has these panels - given that that it's basically the same car as a Rapid.

As far as DRLs are concerned the Rapid is a pain because it has combined main beam/drl bulbs (H15?). The DRLs on the Toledo appear to be separate bulbs - probably just P21W standard bulbs - like reversing lights?

Mine has the pop out in the wheel arch. It's a 62 plate. Still a pain in the @rse though.

Why the swap?

simon1304

Mar 2, 2016
Cambs
Mine has the pop out in the wheel arch. It's a 62 plate. Still a pain in the @rse though.

Why the swap?

Diesel Rapid to petrol Toledo...

Haven't owned a petrol car since 1992 but had been thinking of 'going back' as don't really do the miles to justify a diesel now (I know that there are other reasons to own a diesel - pros and cons a long debate). Thinking this before (a) emissions mess (mine is a 1.6 EA189), and (b) 3 breakdowns since October last year. Decided enough is enough, not happy to keep it beyond end of warranty.

Car still suits - space, etc.. Toledos currently much better value than Rapids.

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
Diesel Rapid to petrol Toledo...

Haven't owned a petrol car since 1992 but had been thinking of 'going back' as don't really do the miles to justify a diesel now (I know that there are other reasons to own a diesel - pros and cons a long debate). Thinking this before (a) emissions mess (mine is a 1.6 EA189), and (b) 3 breakdowns since October last year. Decided enough is enough, not happy to keep it beyond end of warranty.

Car still suits - space, etc.. Toledos currently much better value than Rapids.

Sounds like a sensible swap. The Toledo is decent. I still like mine although I plan to do the opposite swap towards the end of the year only to an Octavia.

simon1304

Mar 2, 2016
Cambs
Sounds like a sensible swap. The Toledo is decent. I still like mine although I plan to do the opposite swap towards the end of the year only to an Octavia.

Apart from the engine and better spec I'm not expecting the Toledo to be much different to the Rapid - for better or worse.

The Octavia is a better car altogether (friend has one). Generally 'plusher' interior - soft-touch plastics, etc. - and less evidence of cost-cutting; but the real plus, IMHO, is that the ride quality is much better. The 'Rapedo' is based on a stretched supermini platform but the Octavia is on the latest VAG MQB platform (used by the Golf/Leon) - much smoother ride.

The Octavia is just bigger than I need so decided to stay with a Rapedo - on the basis that I wouldn't be changing at all but for the hassle with the Rapid. Good luck with the Octavia.

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
Apart from the engine and better spec I'm not expecting the Toledo to be much different to the Rapid - for better or worse.

The Octavia is a better car altogether (friend has one). Generally 'plusher' interior - soft-touch plastics, etc. - and less evidence of cost-cutting; but the real plus, IMHO, is that the ride quality is much better. The 'Rapedo' is based on a stretched supermini platform but the Octavia is on the latest VAG MQB platform (used by the Golf/Leon) - much smoother ride.

The Octavia is just bigger than I need so decided to stay with a Rapedo - on the basis that I wouldn't be changing at all but for the hassle with the Rapid. Good luck with the Octavia.

Thanks. Simpsons Skoda do some excellent PCH deals. The decision now is a scout or VRS.

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
Thanks. Simpsons Skoda do some excellent PCH deals. The decision now is a scout or VRS.

My issue I fine with the PCH is you never own a car, so your paying someone to use a car, but you have then got to pay for your own insurance/Fuel/Tyres (you can get a tyre plan but Extra £££) I know you don't need to worry about any depreciation but they want a Down payment which leaves you in a loss IMO, especially as you then have no down payment on next car 3years down the line.

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
My issue I fine with the PCH is you never own a car, so your paying someone to use a car, but you have then got to pay for your own insurance/Fuel/Tyres (you can get a tyre plan but Extra £££) I know you don't need to worry about any depreciation but they want a Down payment which leaves you in a loss IMO, especially as you then have no down payment on next car 3years down the line.

True. I guess it boils down to how often you want a new car. It's a straight lease really. The Simpsons deal on an Octavia Scout which is a circa £25K car is £2090 initial payment with 23 payments at £149, 8k miles and includes Road Tax. So £5.5k over two years for a brand new, decent car. I personally think that's pretty good.

The VRS estate goes up to £220ish a month same initial payment.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014

However, having driven both petrol and diesel versions:

Bad points about petrol -

The mpg is in comparison very poor - factory figures for the 105 TSI are just un-obtainable fantasy. The 86 TSI does quite a lot better, and evidence from owners suggests the 122 TSI is better on juice than the 105 as well.

Lots of stirring the 6 speed required. My previous car (old diesel Mitsubishi heap) required virtually zero gear changes on the commute to work - the Rapedo needs loads.

Good points about petrol - Really smooth quiet engines and quite revvy (up to a point - the 1.2 power curve dies at 6000 rpm)

Much better ride (and handling) with 100 kilos less weight over the front axle. Also benefits tyre wear and life of steering/suspension components.

For both - avoid the 17 inch option - it knackers the ride in comparison with the 45 or 50 profiles on the smaller wheels.

I like the driving experience of the 105 TSI but couldn't have lived with the 105 TDI, not even if it did 100mpg. But be warned, if you do "enjoy" the drive the average mpg readout may start with the figure 3!! (I've seen the instantaneous one reading 06.9 - LOL)

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014

Oohh.

They only seem to last about 300 hours in Rapids so you'll be doing it again next year...

How much are the lease deals if you actually want to drive to work? I commute 16k a year - let alone the other miles just for me.

Last edited:

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
Oohh.

They only seem to last about 300 hours in Rapids so you'll be doing it again next year...

How much are the lease deals if you actually want to drive to work? I commute 16k a year - let alone the other miles just for me.

Oh... Great news on the bulbs! Ha!

You can get a lease quote for any mileage but the higher the mileage then obviously the higher the quote. An example on an Octavia scout with 20k mileage https://www.contracthireandleasing....ers/yes-lease-limited/skoda/octavia/78203168/

simon1304

Mar 2, 2016
Cambs
Oohh.

Well, the Toledo has arrived and I've changed the dipped beam bulbs. The fitting is different on the Toledo - front (and rear) lights are amongst the relatively few differences between the cars. I found the job more difficult on the Toledo due to the spring clip arrangement that holds the bulbs in place. It's OK if you can see it - but I couldn't see it, even with the panels in the wheel arch liners removed (could with a mirror but still not clear enough).

In the end, not to be defeated (having a stubborn streak), I took the front wheels off so that I could actually see the fitting through the opening in the wheel arch liner. Job done. My hands are healing up nicely...

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
Oohh.

Well, the Toledo has arrived and I've changed the dipped beam bulbs. The fitting is different on the Toledo - front (and rear) lights are amongst the relatively few differences between the cars. I found the job more difficult on the Toledo due to the spring clip arrangement that holds the bulbs in place. It's OK if you can see it - but I couldn't see it, even with the panels in the wheel arch liners removed (could with a mirror but still not clear enough).

In the end, not to be defeated (having a stubborn streak), I took the front wheels off so that I could actually see the fitting through the opening in the wheel arch liner. Job done. My hands are healing up nicely...

Ha Ha! Good persistence. Mine was in for its MOT around the same time so they did them for me for nothing. My hands still haven't healed.

My next job is removing a cracked headlight so I can seal it properly (It's full of condensation). Another infuriating one that will need the bumper off I think?

simon1304

Mar 2, 2016
Cambs
However, having driven both petrol and diesel versions:

Bad points about petrol -

The mpg is in comparison very poor - factory figures for the 105 TSI are just un-obtainable fantasy. The 86 TSI does quite a lot better, and evidence from owners suggests the 122 TSI is better on juice than the 105 as well.

Lots of stirring the 6 speed required. My previous car (old diesel Mitsubishi heap) required virtually zero gear changes on the commute to work - the Rapedo needs loads.

Good points about petrol - Really smooth quiet engines and quite revvy (up to a point - the 1.2 power curve dies at 6000 rpm)

Much better ride (and handling) with 100 kilos less weight over the front axle. Also benefits tyre wear and life of steering/suspension components.

For both - avoid the 17 inch option - it knackers the ride in comparison with the 45 or 50 profiles on the smaller wheels.

I like the driving experience of the 105 TSI but couldn't have lived with the 105 TDI, not even if it did 100mpg. But be warned, if you do "enjoy" the drive the average mpg readout may start with the figure 3!! (I've seen the instantaneous one reading 06.9 - LOL)

Now have the new Toledo (engine is the EU6 1.2 TSI 110). Agree, generally, with the above; I did test drive one before ordering so I knew what to expect. Having owned diesels since 1992 the big change, for me, is having a turbo on a 'normal' petrol-engined car. Huge benefit in torque, and therefore driveability, at relatively low revs (cf. typical n/a small petrol engine which develops peak torque at ~4000rpm).

Sure, there is less torque than the 1.6 TDI, partly compensated for by the 6 speed box - which does, I agree, mean more gear changing.

Ride quality has always been a criticism of the Rapedo. On the basis of my experience with diesel Rapid, justifiably so, I think. The Toledo is better, if nowhere near Golf/Octavia quality. Whether this is due to the lighter weight of the all-alloy petrol lump or revised suspension settings - or a bit of both - I don't know. Mine is the 'Style' model which comes with 215/45 R16 wheels/tyres. I'd have been happier to have kept the higher profile tyres on 15" wheels (as on my old Rapid) for more sidewall flexibility. Quite why my Toledo needs 215/45 tyres is a mystery to me - a sports car it ain't.

Mpg-wise, I was obviously expecting to take a hit but, being retired and doing 8-10,000 miles pa, it isn't so crucial now. Have only done ~250 miles and getting 50mpg (per in-car readout) without trying but... this is running-in as per the manual (I don't want to start a running-in debate, cue 'drive it like Miss Daisy' v. 'drive it like you stole it'), mainly out-of-town and no rush-hour commuting traffic, and no journeys less than ~20 miles.

Whilst on mpg, the required petrol grade for mine is marked (on the fuel flap) as "min 95 RON". The manual says this: "In vehicles running on prescribed unleaded petrol with min. 95 RON, there is an increase in power and a lower fuel consumption when petrol with a RON higher than 95 is used". I've quoted that verbatim as this is often a hotly-debated topic (cue debate on placebo effect, knock sensors, ecu maps - it goes on...).

Bottom line, it says "is" (rather that "may be" or "could be") so when the current fill is used (which is Shell regular 95), I intend to try Tesco Momentum 99 and Shell v-power nitro-whatsit as both are (claimed to be) 99 RON. We shall see... (and before anyone says, yes, I know that the weather is probably going to get warmer and the mpg might well improve as the engine loosens anyway, just as the mpg is likely to be affected when/if I drive it harder - we are not talking lab test conditions here!).

simon1304

Mar 2, 2016
Cambs
Ha Ha! Good persistence. Mine was in for its MOT around the same time so they did them for me for nothing. My hands still haven't healed.

My next job is removing a cracked headlight so I can seal it properly (It's full of condensation). Another infuriating one that will need the bumper off I think?

Hmm. No idea whether you need to remove the bumper to get at the headlight fixings - guess it's likely though. This is a job that I would almost certainly pay someone to do! My experience of this sort of job is that it's generally not too difficult the second time - it's doing it the first time that's hard!

I've always been a student of Dr. Haynes but there's probably zero chance of Haynes producing a manual for the Rapedo.

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton

So having bought a new car and picking it up tomorrow I decided to try and take out the Osram bulbs and put the old ones back in so I could put the Osram in the new car. This time I properly thought about it. Jack the front up, go in through the pop out in the wheel arch and it takes 30 seconds.

Pretty embarrasing I didn't do that when trying to fit them!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.