burning problem

right here we go on friday i was coming home in my car and was giving it bit boost nothing excessive then slowed at traffic then when went to pull away again my boost had gone and car sounded like a scooby/tractor and was struggling to go anyway luckily was jus round corner from home anyway managed to get it home and i was thinking mayby blew the boost pipe so poped the bonnet and a cloud of black smoke comes out from the back of my engine... :censored:[:@] so a think turbo so left it till next day drove it down road n back and was fine again boosting the lot so jacked it up and had a look and found that a wire above my exhuast ( i think it may be handbrake cable not sure tho...) well its totally melted at the bit above the cat and as a result the cat is now coverd n black rubber plastic that covers the cables that have been melted from what i can see tho the plastic coating under the rubber has not melted but everytime i drive the car black smoke starts cuming out engne cause that cable keeps getting melted from heat of cat... anybody ever had this problem?? as dont see why its just started doing it now and dont know what to do about it cause cant drive my car till it sorted also the heat sheild for the cat fell off couple week ago could this have helped?? even tho its no were near the cable

thanks

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
It sounds a bit like the gear change linkage. Mine's certainly melted onto my old exhaust (before i switched to Blueflame downpipe) so yes it does happen. It's just the outer braid it's melted so I'd try and secure it a bit better and don't worry too much..

Yes, the heatshield from the cat coming off would directly relate to the excessive heat on the cable shield and the melting that follows.

Assuming I'm right about the cable, it doesn't explain why your car wasn't running well - i expect that might be a coilpack.

ok thanks mate iam going to do that soon as its dry enuff il tie it up and would u recommend in me investing in a new downpipe then? but il do that and get heatshield back on

i dont why it was running like that either drove perfectley fine the next day jus kept melting the cable cars only on 59k and getting servivce done this weeknd surley sudnt need coilpack yet... but is getting timing belt done aswell

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.