Buying a 2001 Toledo V5 -- help appreciated

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
kewe, i got your skype from your profile and added you (in case something went wrong mine is stefanvidev), I live in Newington, was thinking about taking tomorrow off, as my supervisor's gone for the week :whistle: . I suppose I could get over on your side of town somehow if you've got the time, would just need some prior notice cuz it's gonna take me a while to either leg it or take the bus (won't have to do that soon enough, fingers crossed :funk:)

Nice to see that vapour canister thing was supposedly working fine on the car :D

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
I was wondering if any of you had an idea about the navigation (I know it had GPS lock as I tried it), but the voice quality was really bad at times and then would go back to normal -- could it be a scratched disk?

Besides, anyone know where I could download wink-wink some decently current maps, I don't really fancy spending 130 quid and getting them from tele atlas's website, but if that's the only way, I might as well at the end though would really like to avoid that :)

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I was wondering if any of you had an idea about the navigation (I know it had GPS lock as I tried it), but the voice quality was really bad at times and then would go back to normal -- could it be a scratched disk?

Besides, anyone know where I could download wink-wink some decently current maps, I don't really fancy spending 130 quid and getting them from tele atlas's website, but if that's the only way, I might as well at the end though would really like to avoid that :)

I first saw this and thought 'I don't remember there being a vinyl record in the slot'!:lol:

Then I realised what you meant, the voice is streamed off the CD so it is possible that it's damaged in some way. You can check it with a PC, as it's fully readable. I'd have thought if your PC has trouble, then it's a dodgy disc. Or you could set it to a different language and see if it breaks up at the same place?

And at the moment I'm currently looking (wink-wink) for an updated map, but not seen anything yet. There are a few coming through on Ebay for a bit less than full price, and I believe SEAT themselves sell it for less than £100 as well.

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
Well that sounds better (SEAT selling it for less than 100), as I've decided to get the car (if nothing new and bad pops up when I go pick it up), I would be open to splitting the costs with someone if it's possible to make a copy of the disk (and a backup to have around). I'll try the tricks you mention (PC and change of language) when I go pick it up -- btw how do you change the language?

Went and saw kewe's car today -- great car, even better owner ;) is all I am going to say.

Going to call Autohaus tomorrow and see how much they'll ask for the replacement of the door seals -- hope it's not going to empty out my bank account.

If all goes well should pick it up Thursday or Saturday :drive1:

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
Another thing occurred to me -- does it come with 2 key fobs or with one key fob, and one regular old fashioned key?

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
Alright, so I took the plunge today, and I got myself the V5 from up north (Garlochhead). Nice drive back, but I noticed a couple of new things that are worrying me :(. One is that there is a burning clutch type of smell (or so I think) about the car or so it seems to me, any ideas what it might actually be? I really doubt the clutch is at fault as the car has done only 75k, however I suppose it's a possibility. It does seem to bite a bit on the higher side as you release it, but I don't think there is any slippage (did the 3rd gear and handbrake start test before I bought it, as well as the 4th gear low speed heavy acceleration, and they both seemed alright). And the second thing I realised after driving it all the way back home is that the steering at low speeds is somewhat heavy, is that the norm or?

The positives are that the suspension seems to be tip-top, and the engine pulls excellently (quite exhilarating to be honest), starts off cold well, no need to flick the trottle (well after sitting for 6 hrs at the parking lot, I could muster only as much patience), and the exhaust seems to have that healthy gray ring on the outside that means everything is working fine. The interior gives off a few cracks and creaks over rougher roads, but well I would not expect it not to. The stereo is fabulous, and yeah I am looking for a new CD for the Sat Nav that actually is from this decade :D.

Would really appreciate comments on that, I suppose the best thing to do is to book a look over at Autohaus sometimes next week, after I figure out the insurance and parking permits, and well after my V5 arrives in the mail (how long does that take again?).

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Nice one!

The smell might just be the car sitting around for a bit and gathering a bit of dust. I'd get some mileage on it, and get it the once-over at Autohaus, but I doubt very much it's engine related. My mate had trouble with his car, turned out to be the interior fan was really clogged up. It's a whacking great beast of a fan that sits just behind the glovebox. Ten minutes with a screwdriver and five minutes with a hoover got that particular problem sorted. A new carbon pollen filter might also help.

Both the clutch and the steering will largely depend on what you were driving before. I found both felt very odd coming from my Astra, but now I've got used to them. It's the reassuring weight of the steering that makes it an easy drive at speed.

And yes, the odd creak is par for the course, there are people with brand new cars complaining about dashboard creaks! A V5 usually takes a couple of weeks, but they do say up to six. But you don't need it for anything, it's not even an indication of ownership. As far as I can tell, it's only used when they want to send you a road tax demand, or a parking ticket!

Welcome to SEAT! :)

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
I'll give that interior fan a look and see if it's the cause of the smell. You can smell it only on the outside though, it does not come through the aircon inside.

There are a couple of chips on the bonnet that have gathered a bit of rust, and I was thinking of sanding them a bit myself and giving them a quick spray with touch up paint to seal them, has anybody done that here?

I'm looking at getting one of the following kits:

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=5423

or

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=6912

I'll post pictures of the chips later today, I only assume they go all the way to the metal, as there's spots of rust.

Last edited:

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
Took the car for a wee spin around town as the weather was nice, and sure enough trouble ensued! First, I lost my rear number plate someplace as it apparently was stuck with low quality double sided tape. That I sort of gulped down somehow. Stopped to pick up a friend, and then the check engine light came on! Now, what? I am going to call the "dealer" I got it from tomorrow morning, and head over to Autohaus to have the car hooked up to a computer to see what's going on, as well as to get a quote on how much it would cost to fix the leaky door seals. ARGH!

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I bet you ten pence that the fault code will be a failed coil pack... my first coil pack failed between me winning the auction and me picking the car up. The seller was gracious enough to sort me out with a replacement before I got it though, which was good.

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
I definitely hope it's a simple thing as a coil pack! I'll pop down to Autohaus first thing tomorrow morning to have it looked over (including the weird smell).

Do you have experience with the seals issue, I am really considering doing it myself, that is if I find a quiet spot where I can do it. It can't be that difficult!

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
I bet you ten pence that the fault code will be a failed coil pack... my first coil pack failed between me winning the auction and me picking the car up. The seller was gracious enough to sort me out with a replacement before I got it though, which was good.

Good shout, could also explain the burning smell? Stefan - Did the car go into limp mode when the light came on or was there any misfire? Hopefully the guys at Autohaus will be able to sort you out :think:

More info on the door seals can be found here:-

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44216

Last edited:

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
Well, I don't think it went into limp mode as acceleration was alright I think, maybe slightly slower. Can't really tell if there is misfire, but definitely when you turn it on, it sounds a bit harsher before it quickly settles. I really hope it's nothing too expensive to fix :(

Do any of you guys know if the part of the V5 that I currently have is enough to get a new plate made? I was hoping to drop by Halfords on the way there and just get a new one (if the dealer who sold it to me won't be willing to mail me one as it's clearly been poorly attached to the car + will try to get the money for the engine repair off of them).

Ed, yes, I read that, and it gave me confidence to fix it myself :)

EDIT:

Went to Autohaus this morning, really nice guys over there -- apparently there's the lambda probe and the coolant temp sensors that've gone, reset the errors, did not pop back up immediately. Left the car to have the disks and pads changed, as those were well knackered. Got a quote on the leak issue (240 + VAT + parts). Might actually book it up with them, as they're going to strip the interior to dry it off and that's something that I can't really do as I've no place to store it or actually do the work. Going to give the car a couple of days to see if the light comes back on, hopefully the warranty papers would come in by then, and will be able to claim through that rather than have to Garlochhead to possibly have the dealer there simply reset it and tell me it's fine.

Last edited:

AP_V5

Jan 19, 2010
Sussex
The lambda probe had brought the fault light up on mine when I first got it it January, had it cleared and the guy who did it said its very common and not usually anything to worry about.

Anyways 3 months down the line and my fault light has never re appeared to all good.

Also you should be able to get new plates using the 'green slip' that you have before the log book arrives, I did so with mine when I got it.

Good luck with your new toy!

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
Mmm, interesting, the guys at Autohaus told me it's almost certain that it will come back, well I suppose all we can do is wait and see :)

You're right about the slip and the plate -- checked with Halfords, but got the dealer to send me a new plate just on principle :D

Going to close this tread I suppose since I am no longer buying it, but rather have it :D

Last edited: