Buying a cheap Seat Leon FR or nonFR (2.0TFSI)

Jan 15, 2019
Hello I am new to the world of VAG having never owned any in the past.
I have been looking to buy one and came across some seat Leons mk2 2.0 Tfsi FR and non-FR for around or less than 2k. Am I nuts for considering these?
I have read a few faults on these e.g tensioners and something called a diverter valve and this will be something I check during inspection.
I have seen some for roughly £1900-2000 with FSH and about 80-110k miles but slightly modified which can easily be put back to original. Is there something I need to be vary of or am I looking at the bottom end of the market ? The mk2 FR is similar to a golf gti mk5 which is more expensive so why are Leons cheaper?
Thank you.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
If you lift up the bonnet of a Seat. You'll find pretty much all the parts are Audi/VW badged. Seat share parts with all the VAG family. So yes, you're effectively getting a cheaper Golf gti mk5. Loads of members on here have Leons and as long as they are serviced and maintained on schedule mostly trouble free. The main thing to look out for is that the cambelt has been done (within the last 5 years / 60k miles) or you'll be footing the bill for that yourself. Diverter valve is around 50 quid, but I've never had one go.

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Hello I am new to the world of VAG having never owned any in the past.
I have been looking to buy one and came across some seat Leons mk2 2.0 Tfsi FR and non-FR for around or less than 2k. Am I nuts for considering these?
I have read a few faults on these e.g tensioners and something called a diverter valve and this will be something I check during inspection.
I have seen some for roughly £1900-2000 with FSH and about 80-110k miles but slightly modified which can easily be put back to original. Is there something I need to be vary of or am I looking at the bottom end of the market ? The mk2 FR is similar to a golf gti mk5 which is more expensive so why are Leons cheaper?
Thank you.
Go for the FR they look better IMO

Jan 15, 2019
Thank you for the reply guys. Yup I know vag cars share engines and platforms. I just really wanted others opinions whether a £1900 seat Leon is suspiciously low? It’s not like a one off I have seen a few around that price and even some at £1400 so the one I am looking at feels like the mid market value but when I think about the fact that it’s a golf gti in disguise I wonder why so much cheaper.

I think regardless of which one I buy I am going to replace the cambelt and water pump because none of them can show me proof of change. I’m not the most confident in buying cars either. I do want to learn though.

And yes I’m inclined towards the FR. I believe they have a stiffer suspension?

Thanks

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Thank you for the reply guys. Yup I know vag cars share engines and platforms. I just really wanted others opinions whether a £1900 seat Leon is suspiciously low? It’s not like a one off I have seen a few around that price and even some at £1400 so the one I am looking at feels like the mid market value but when I think about the fact that it’s a golf gti in disguise I wonder why so much cheaper.

I think regardless of which one I buy I am going to replace the cambelt and water pump because none of them can show me proof of change. I’m not the most confident in buying cars either. I do want to learn though.

And yes I’m inclined towards the FR. I believe they have a stiffer suspension?

Thanks
Fr has stiffer suspension, fr logo on front sports seats, gear knob and steering wheel, aux input for stereo and 200 bhp compared to 180bhp of the sport model with the same engine

Tfsi fr is effectively a mk5 Golf GTI
But the seat badge doesn't carry the same appeal, pull or iconic following as the vw badge hence the lower resale price compared to the golf gti

I looked at a golf gti and choose the leon fr as for the money I could pick up a much lower mileage example.

One thing I would say is that the golf imo has a slightly better finish and more of a premium feel over the leon

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise