buying a Mk3... but which one?!

afcajax73

Jun 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
good morning all,

I've been a member for quite some time, but haven't posted for a while as life has generally got in the way!

anyway.... I'm after some advice from all you Mk3 owners.. I'm looking to buy a new car, I've got around 15k to spend, it has to be petrol, 5 door, low mileage and have at least some decent amount of power.

I've currently got a Mk2 FR, and had a Mk1 Cupra before that... I've had a look at a few other makes of car, but I keep coming back to the Leon, and have loved my other two... so thought I'd punt for a Mk3.

Any advice??

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
good morning all,

I've been a member for quite some time, but haven't posted for a while as life has generally got in the way!

anyway.... I'm after some advice from all you Mk3 owners.. I'm looking to buy a new car, I've got around 15k to spend, it has to be petrol, 5 door, low mileage and have at least some decent amount of power.

I've currently got a Mk2 FR, and had a Mk1 Cupra before that... I've had a look at a few other makes of car, but I keep coming back to the Leon, and have loved my other two... so thought I'd punt for a Mk3.

Any advice??

I’d of said Cupra, purely for the amount of equipment you get that’s included. For that budget, a Cupra is probably just out of reach - did a quick autotrader search and it’s 15k for a 60,000 miler.

You could get a late pre facelift FR (newer 6.5” MIB Nav unit”) though.

If you’re not as bothered about performance you could get a facelifted car with the new 8” screen with a smaller engine and still have all the good stuff (LED lights for example).

ian.davies624

Mar 15, 2015
I would recommend a mark 3 cupra280 . I'm just about to px one. Red 37000 miles and they are quoting 13k trade in value on mine.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Deleted member 103408

^^^^ what he said, I still got mine and love it, power, kit and even in stock you surprise lots of people with the power.

Plus its comfy and in comfort mode you dont know you are in a monster.

But I am biased.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
If you can find a 280 with faultless history then it should be money well spent. Mileage may be slightly high but my one is on 51k and it doesn’t miss a beat.

There are very few cars like a Cupra around with the amount of standard kit they have and performance on tap for that kind of money.

IMO the 290 is the sweet spot in the Cupra range but it’s unlikely you’ll ind one for £15k at the moment... wish I had waited and got one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I guess it depends what your current MK2 is. Unsure of your annual mileage, and that nowhere did you mention, the car needs to be economical, I would say a rare 1.8TSI with 180PS, and it has the bigger brakes setup compared to normal MK3 Leons. I think only the Cupra's have larger brakes than the 1.8, and most Cupras would not fit your requirements of low mileage and 15k. Besides, assuming the car (the 1.8) is out of warranty and you are willing, that 180PS after a remap could potentially push to stock Golf GTI power (around 220-230 mark). Outside that, the 150PS 1.4 ACT is not as quick, but I wouldn't say it's lacking, even if you have the old mk2...plus you would have a very economical car.

afcajax73

Jun 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
hey everyone, thanks for the replies :)

Some good tips thanks, and also here's the missing info!

i've got an 07 plate FR 170, I do around 10k a year, it doesn't have to be overly economical but also don't want be filling up every other day.

I think i'm leaning a bit towards the 1.4Eco TSI FR (150), i believe it quite closely matches my FR for performance, but has far superior mpg etc.

I've seen a 15 plate for £12k with 18k on the clock.

Is there anything particular to look out for on this model/age?

I'm off to trawl the forums to read up, but any advice is always greatly appreciated :)

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
It may look like it has similar performance and MPG on paper, but in reality they are absolutely gutless and as you spend all your time revving the tits off them to go anywhere, you end up doing Cupra type MPG, not 170 Diesel MPG...... IMO steer clear of the 1.4's

Go and drive an FR 184, FR1.8 and a cupra. if you don't need a 5dr there are also the quite rare cupra 265's (3dr only) which are well within your 15k budget. If it were me in your situation Id get a well looked after 280 Cupra, forget the mileage (a 4 year old car will have 48k just with regular miles on) look at the history and condition.

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
I guess it depends what your current MK2 is. Unsure of your annual mileage, and that nowhere did you mention, the car needs to be economical, I would say a rare 1.8TSI with 180PS, and it has the bigger brakes setup compared to normal MK3 Leons. I think only the Cupra's have larger brakes than the 1.8, and most Cupras would not fit your requirements of low mileage and 15k. Besides, assuming the car (the 1.8) is out of warranty and you are willing, that 180PS after a remap could potentially push to stock Golf GTI power (around 220-230 mark). Outside that, the 150PS 1.4 ACT is not as quick, but I wouldn't say it's lacking, even if you have the old mk2...plus you would have a very economical car.

Too add to this if you can get a 1.8 it can be mapped to 240-252 with APR stage 1

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
It may look like it has similar performance and MPG on paper, but in reality they are absolutely gutless and as you spend all your time revving the tits off them to go anywhere, you end up doing Cupra type MPG, not 170 Diesel MPG...... IMO steer clear of the 1.4's

Go and drive an FR 184, FR1.8 and a cupra. if you don't need a 5dr there are also the quite rare cupra 265's (3dr only) which are well within your 15k budget. If it were me in your situation Id get a well looked after 280 Cupra, forget the mileage (a 4 year old car will have 48k just with regular miles on) look at the history and condition.

Not true at all. I absolutely rev the tits off my 1.4 and hardly drive like a grandad and I average 43mpg around the doors. 55+ mpg on a momtorway trip. Of course it won’t match diesel mpg but it’ll be a lot closer to the 170 than a cupra.

FRMike

Jun 18, 2018
It may look like it has similar performance and MPG on paper, but in reality they are absolutely gutless and as you spend all your time revving the tits off them to go anywhere, you end up doing Cupra type MPG, not 170 Diesel MPG...... IMO steer clear of the 1.4's.

Couldn’t disagree more. I’ve got a 1.4 TSI FR with a DSG and it’s great performance. £30 road tax, 50+mpg on a run (and I don’t drive like a granddad) and high 30’s/low 40’s with local driving. Admittedly I have fitted a DTUK box on mine which does make it go even better but even without it they’re not gutless. Yes they lose out to the bigger more powerful engines when the speeds start getting silly but so what? There’s a bloody speed camera round every corner these days.

Reactions: Walone

bremner97

Jun 7, 2018
Would highly recommend the 1.4 150 FR. Only had it around 10 months but absolutely love it. The balance between power and economy is great, have been 100+ mph comfortably but can also achieve 40+ mpg. The cheap road tax and insurance for someone my age was also a big factor.

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
I am in a similar position. 10 plate FR 170 with 120k on the clock. Would like something newer. Just don't know whether to go 300bhp route or stick to 150-200bhp. What is the DSG like on the 1.4TSI? Are the changes quick?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: FRMike

FRMike

Jun 18, 2018
I am in a similar position. 10 plate FR 170 with 120k on the clock. Would like something newer. Just don't know whether to go 300bhp route or stick to 150-200bhp. What is the DSG like on the 1.4TSI? Are the changes quick?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Typical DSG fella - yes they are quick. And an option of full auto or use the paddles.

Reactions: chrisjgill

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Test drive a 1.4 ACT and if you think a mild powerboost is welcomed..remap it to approximately just under the 200 mark once you feel you are able to?

Actually i might just do that at Westfields White City...as myself tossing up between 1.4 and 1.8 on my next leased Leon (so no remapping).

Reactions: FRMike

Kempo

2015 Leon 1.4 FR EcoTSI
Dec 30, 2017
I bought my 15 plate 1.4 EcoTSI 150bhp 6 months ago, it had 18k miles and cost £12.5k then but came with 1 yr warranty and Seat assistance thrown in.

Power wise it is pretty good and does me fine now. I am averaging 38mpg / 420 miles per tank which is lower than a diesel but ok.

In Sport mode it’s good fun, grip is excellent and it makes good progress. I sold an Impreza WRXS which had 288lb ft torque so dropping to 180lb ft was noticeable. It also doesn’t have the surge of my wife’s Volvo V40 diesel (150bhp / 250lb ft) but the Seat revs easily and is nippy and in reality on a par - just drives differently.

I only do 8k a year so petrol was sensible and it has £20 road tax. It has already saved me loads as Scooby was 22mpg and £540 road tax!

I love the Leon and with Obdeleven mods it’s great. If you don’t do big miles perhaps the 180TSI petrol though has no more torque as far as I know just quicker.

cuprawill290

Jun 28, 2018
Northumberland
i bought a cupra 290 for £18k but was cheap for it. i test drove a civic type r 15 plate( came frome a diesel type s) and a dsg and manual golf, cupra felt better to drive ad more comfortable. So all i can say is there will be 280s come in the price range if your mileage is under 9000 a year go for the power theres a couple about in the uk within £15k. just wait and keep your eye out for one possibly on here in the for sale at least you will know its history

afcajax73

Jun 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Excellent, thanks for all the replies and advice. To be honest, if I thought I could rely on my fr id keep it. But it’s just problem after problem (after 5 years of smooth running) and I just want rid now. So something similar in performance, and in regards to mpg and fuel, I’ve had a huge drop, and I am only getting about 360miles per full tank!

I’m going to go test drive a 1.4 EcoTSI tomorrow so will feedback after that. The idea of maybe a small map after 6 months or so is appealing too.