Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest we just want to let you know that our Privacy Terms have changed. You can read them here: New Privacy Terms

Buying car worries

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Chat' started by diddles, Mar 19, 2017.

1. diddles

diddles Full Member

Hey guys, I brought a car yesterday from a little back street dealer. I paid in full with cash and have a proof of purchase receipt. I didn't get the new keepers slip being stupid I completely forgot about it! He taxed the car apparently using the new keepers slip and he showed me the receipt for it being taxed.
    Now he is saying I short changed him, which I didn't, he is saying he didn't count the money.
    I'm worried now that he won't send off the log book!
    Please guys need some advice. Is it just a case of waiting a month to see if the log book turns up or just fill out a v62 and apply for a log book?
    The car is hpi clear as I did check it before I brought it.
    Thanks guys!

2. Husbandofstinky

Husbandofstinky Out from the Wilderness

Golden rule with cash, always count it out with the other party in front of them best mates or not. Heard that old chestnut several times and has caused problems between long term friends.

Check with the DVLA re the road tax

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Then worry about log book chasing.

3. DrewCole

DrewCole Spannering the Cupra

Well if you handed over the cash and he gave you a receipt for it, then that is entirely his own fault.

If he with holds the logbook then just send him a letter advising you'll be taking legal action as you have proof of purchase.

4. aaronb84

aaronb84 Full Member

If he has given you proof of purchase for the value then whether you have given him the full amount or not then that is his fault. I don't see what comeback he has on you.

Think the other advice above is sound about checking with DVLA on the tax and then follow up soon with the log book.