1. Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store. and are now half price.

Buzzy Altea Speakers and ICE upgrade

Discussion in 'Altea - includes XL and Freetrack' started by nsj, Jan 17, 2006.

1. KD

KD Guest

I have now changed the speakers in the front doors. Much better!

Would it be even better, if I also changed them in the rear doors? Its a VAN (No backseats but high floor)

2. mac music

the rears are really not ment to be heard that much , but i found that with a better set in i got more mid bass than the ones kindly provided by seat

3. Changed all 4 and cut the adapters to take out the tweeters, much better now with quality Blaupunkt 3 way speakers installed. Also noticed that iPod sounds best with Aux Vol set to 1 and main volume turned up rather than boosting with the aux vol setting on the menu.

4. Dai_O

Dai_O Active Member

Hi Guys
    I just wanted to hear what speakers are people using these days as replacements

Any advice would be great

BTW if I cut out the link to the tweeters will it through any vagcom errors

Cheers
    Dai O

5. mac music

the infintys i have in the back door sound pretty goo & you can angle the tweeter up as well , cutting the tweeter in the door off did not affect the canbus in my car , as it is now all the speakers are driven from amps , rather than the headunit , connected thru the plug at the back of the headunit and all seems fine

famous last words ....

6. Tell

Tell Full Member

As the originator of this thread and published mod I'm glad its all going well :) . My Infinity speakers are as good as they were nine years ago when I put them in. Assuming I buy the SUV when its finally built I'll probably be trading my Altea in less the speakers since I suspect Seat will use the same old paper speakers. Must remember to ask to take the speaker grill off in the test drive to check the speakers :) .

7. roodie

roodie Active Member

:help: Hi all first post and all im sorry if it has been covered i just couldn't find it.

i have a few questions i have looked over MANY threads for the speaker upgrade and im not sure if im just being stupid or what but my speakers in the front seem different sizes to ones other have had etc. ive taken images or everything to help you try and understand me.

I will be fitting some Vibe Blackair6 6.5" Coaxial 2 Way as long as they fit, Will i need the SAK-3103, all the guides i see are on older Models and mine is a 2013 Model (Seat Altea XL 1.6 Eco 8 Speakers).

Help would be VERY grateful!!

h*tp://i59.tinypic.com/335bjo5.jpg
    h*tp://i59.tinypic.com/s4nonb.jpg
    h*tp://i62.tinypic.com/dr2om9.jpg
    h*tp://i60.tinypic.com/35bv3no.jpg
    h*tp://i61.tinypic.com/2zfqtyr.jpg

Mattt

8. Tell

Tell Full Member

Well in the standard Altea 2004 model all speakers were the same size. May be on the XL 8 speakers they are not. Will pass on the rest. We need an XL owner with similar. You would expect the fronts perhaps to be the same size as the standard Altea I guess. Better not conjecture anymore on this.

As far as surround is concerned the manufactures speakers come in a moulded unit that fits. The speaker car kits for which I cut a Golf IV to fit at the time (brother did) just allows you to fit standard speakers in place of the manufactures purpose design but cheap quality moulded units. They were paper membrane ones in the 2004 Alteas.

9. mac music

by looks it looks the same i have a " short " altea you will have to cut the front flange off the sak 3103 so the grill fits back on

have alook thru my messin about thread might be of some help

mm

10. roodie

roodie Active Member

Hi All,

Yep indeed the instructions are the same as everyone else.

thanks

11. Tell

Tell Full Member

Well I take the credit on finding the audio part, nobody had done it then and I said to my brother who was still alive then I need this hacked down so he obliged. Then there was another guy, it will all be documented here told me how to get rid of the, tweeters buy cutting the loop through wire. It was all quite elligent that the speaker fitment kit contained the lead for snipping.

Now I'm musing on how to do it with the SUV since one expects in two years time the speakers fitted to it will be rubbish but it will equally have a good headend. Will the speakers factory fitted be the same dimensions and you just do the same. It will be worth keeping the Altea before selling it on to check out :). I may even be tempted just to move the speakers over.

12. Cupra Ross

Cupra Ross Breaks things............

We have two Alteas. One 2009 car and a 2014 one. The audio equipment in the 2014 car is absolutely superb, by any standard. Sharp treble reproduction, decent midrange and punchy bass. The 2009's audio fit is very poor in comparison.

I think you might be surprised by the quality of the newer audio kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Tell

Tell Full Member

The problem with the 2004 speakers and beyond was that the membrane was made out of paper
    Like a 1960s radio I use to take about in the 60s. So you could see that they were cheap trash rather than polymer modern based speakers. There is nothing wrong with the headend just rubbish speakers fitted at that time. It would be interesting to take the covers off the speakers in the two cars and study the speakers. Whether the new fitted speakers are no longer paper for starters.

It is bothering me slightly since I've sold myself an upgrade path to the Seat SUV for 2016 and don't fancy taking out all the speakers and doing the mod again. Its the best sound I've had from all my long running cars. I might just buy the top of the range and hope like the Q3 its fitted with superior Bose speakers - you wouldn't want to change them. Failing go back to this thread or buy a Q3 :). Problem with Q3s design cycle is too fast, suspect a Seat SUV like the 2004 Altea won't get face lifted too often.