Bye FR+, hello Speed Blue MK2 Cupra R

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Haha, I wish. It's draining money in other ways at the moment. Finally got PS4S all round now and Pagid RS4-2 pads on the front. Need to get some $$$ ready cause cambelt/waterpump is coming up and I'm thinking of doing chain, tensioner and maybe balance shaft delete at the same time.

Ah. At least it’s keeping you busy!! Mines due cambelt soon as well, debating if I can afford the turbo, custom tubular manifold and the down pipe at the same time but I also needs new shocks and I’d like to get the cupra wheels sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moody95

Whoosh and your away
Sep 26, 2016
Hull
Over to MidlandVW (again) for a brake upgrade:

7tRb8nR.jpg

R60buvm.jpg
I'm currently waiting up brake upgrade options, are these a straight bolt on or do you need any other parts like discs, carriers etc?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Well done Jon so now I can ask if you fancy rebuilding my spare engine with all that dirty diesel oil everywhere

Haha, all I remember from engine building is hitting the piston with a mallet while it was in the special baked bean can tool.

Reactions: Yellow fr

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Bit of a mixed end of the year. Got my MOT, new cambelt and insurance all sorted ready for the new year. Yay!

Did an oil / filter change and swapped out the cam follower (4000 miles) - few scratches but look alright.

1608672352883.png

Garage noticed some scoring on my brake discs. So I contacted Vagbremtechnic who replied in under 5 minutes to let me know it's normal wear for these discs and gave me some tips on pads. Yay!

1608672440230.png

However... my cars currently in the garage.. Boooo... So my Helix clutch has completely worn out (slipping in all gears even with the slightest acceleration) at 15,000 miles (less than 18 months of use). Apparently as a parting present it's "destroyed" my DMF. Really unhappy at the mo.

So... when I get my car back it should have a new LUK DMF. TTRS Petrol pressure plate. TTRS Diesel clutch. It's supposed to be good for 430lbs of torque. Which'd be useful as I have 430lbs of torque. LOL. Supposedly a different pedal feel - I never got on with the Helix - too heavy and bite point too high. So want my car back, but lost a bit of confidence in it.

Reactions: Aidanr97

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
Bit of a mixed end of the year. Got my MOT, new cambelt and insurance all sorted ready for the new year. Yay!

Did an oil / filter change and swapped out the cam follower (4000 miles) - few scratches but look alright.

View attachment 20616

Garage noticed some scoring on my brake discs. So I contacted Vagbremtechnic who replied in under 5 minutes to let me know it's normal wear for these discs and gave me some tips on pads. Yay!

View attachment 20617

However... my cars currently in the garage.. Boooo... So my Helix clutch has completely worn out (slipping in all gears even with the slightest acceleration) at 15,000 miles (less than 18 months of use). Apparently as a parting present it's "destroyed" my DMF. Really unhappy at the mo.

So... when I get my car back it should have a new LUK DMF. TTRS Petrol pressure plate. TTRS Diesel clutch. It's supposed to be good for 430lbs of torque. Which'd be useful as I have 430lbs of torque. LOL. Supposedly a different pedal feel - I never got on with the Helix - too heavy and bite point too high. So want my car back, but lost a bit of confidence in it.

Cam follower looks good, always an arse clenching moment pulling it out not knowing how worn it's going to be lol.

Shame about the helix clutch, I'm sort of glad the helix never worked out for me as the pedal was solid and just not great driveability. Have you gone with the RTS kit? As they use the TTRS pressure plate and a twin plate friction disc and mines been great so far

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Cam follower looks good, always an arse clenching moment pulling it out not knowing how worn it's going to be lol.

Shame about the helix clutch, I'm sort of glad the helix never worked out for me as the pedal was solid and just not great driveability. Have you gone with the RTS kit? As they use the TTRS pressure plate and a twin plate friction disc and mines been great so far

Yeah, if there was a hole I'd cry. LOL. Last one had done about 9k and the coating was starting to wear in the centre. I think of it as a yearly service item now.

TBH, I never got on with the Helix. I always found the pedal really heavy and the biting point really high. The new kit caught me out with the lighter pedal and the bite is practically on the floor. So first change out the garage is a massive clunk as it clamps down LOL.

Can't find the link at the moment. It's this weird setup where you buy a TTRS pressure plate, throw away the clutch and use a 240mm diesel plate in it's place. Apparently they are fitting it to a load of Golf MK7s and S3s at the moment and seeing good results with an OEM feel. I'm still nervous though.

Sounds a bit interesting on new clutch set up
Sorry to hear your clutch worn out so quick

Gotta wait a while before I can see if it'll hold the power. Which is annoying. Also didn't help the outgoing clutch decimated the flywheel. But no clatter at all now.

Such a crap situation about your clutch @Legojon, really hoping mine lasts longer.
Soon as your car is back you can enjoy it again :)

Timing wasn't the best either. Although, could have been worse, everywhere's closed from tomorrow. So I guess it was good timing. LOL. Fingers crossed you have better luck.

As my car "limped" to the garage, the clutch couldn't even hold resting my foot on the accelerator. I had this idiot in a Fiesta ST, in my boot, alongside me, dodging lanes. Then slowing down to 25 in a 60 so I couldn't get past, then booting it to 100 on the dual carriageway. When I pulled up next to him at the lights, I thought stuff it, the AA can take me the other 10 miles. Leaving him half mile down the road, I concluded 1:- my cars all better now and he's still driving that Fiesta and 2:- maybe this is why I need a new clutch. LOL.

Kenan

Dec 14, 2018
What sort of money in the TTRS clutch setup compared to the helix?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
That almost looks like it’s got warm and cooked it’s self

Going on what I've read across the net, the general verdict seems to be that they overheat when driven in stop/start traffic a lot. So it's not really suitable for daily rush hour traffic. I've emailed the details across to Helix to ask if they'd like to chip in for the repairs. LOL.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Lol you may be lucky

Not sure if this counts as lucky. They are going to refurb it. Must be a fairly common thing as mine is going with 2 other Helix clutches next week for resurfacing.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members